(RCSD) FDC insert supplier?

Old February 22nd 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee

Default (RCSD) FDC insert supplier?

Sorry for the double-post, but I realized I didn't prefix with
"(RCSD)", and some readers with filters are going to miss it. If you
don't have such a filter, please forgive me:

Does anyone know of a commercial source for archival white envelope
stiffeners, sized to fit U.S. FDCs (#6 3/4)? Examples onto which I
could laser-print would be especially nice.

I've finally found a source of envelopes! Now I just need this one
last thing ... until the next thing comes along.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org
APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MPBC, MCC, BPS
Old February 22nd 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Feb 21, 8:24 pm, Joshua McGee wrote:
Sorry for the double-post, but I realized I didn't prefix with
"(RCSD)", and some readers with filters are going to miss it. If you
don't have such a filter, please forgive me:

Does anyone know of a commercial source for archival white envelope
stiffeners, sized to fit U.S. FDCs (#6 3/4)? Examples onto which I
could laser-print would be especially nice.

I've finally found a source of envelopes! Now I just need this one
last thing ... until the next thing comes along.

- Joshua McGeehttp://www.mcgees.org
APS, ATA, ISWSC, AFDCS, MPBC, MCC, BPS

Did you think of buying acid free card stock ,
at an art supply store, and having it cut to size?

Blair
Old February 22nd 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee

Did you think of buying acid free card stock ,
at an art supply store, and having it cut to size?

Yes, and discarded the idea. Buying paper by anything short of a ream
(20-sheet packages at art stores, for instance) is prohibitively
expensive. I would have essentially no margin if each insert card
cost US$0.25.

I've contacted Kelly Paper about the minimum order for commissioning
precision-cut stock. But if they were available commercially, then
someone has already paid to have the knives cut, and I could avoid
that up-front expense.

The solution for the acid-free envelopes, by the way, was *precisely
that* -- to get together with friends and have knives cut for a
hydraulic press to perforate and score sheets of 28 lb. stock. At $25
buy-in per ream, we expect to make our investment back on the knives,
but it ain't cheap.

I need *bulk*; say, 10,000 cards -- so doing it myself with a paper
trimmer (even my top-of-the-line precision German model, which I
strongly believe every philatelist needs) is not a very appealing
prospect. And I need *millimetre accuracy* -- so the hydraulic "paper
cutters" at office supply stores that have a tendency, at least in
inexpert hands, to slip, giving uneven cuts, are not sufficient (I
know from experience when I've used them to have postcards cut from
special stock to size for philatelic projects. I had to discard
[recycle without monetary return] nearly 40% of the output, and that
is unacceptable.)

Old February 22nd 08, 03:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Joshua McGee"
The solution for the acid-free envelopes, by the way, was *precisely
that* -- to get together with friends and have knives cut for a
hydraulic press to perforate and score sheets of 28 lb. stock. At $25
buy-in per ream, we expect to make our investment back on the knives,
but it ain't cheap.

As an onlooker, I don't understand
the requirement for "knives", perforation and scoring?
Do you not just source the acid free stock,
take it to the printers, and have them shear the stiffeners off
using the best number given the stock size?

Old February 22nd 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee

On Feb 21, 7:47 pm, "rodney" wrote:
"Joshua McGee"

The solution for the acid-free envelopes, by the way, was *precisely
that* -- to get together with friends and have knives cut for a
hydraulic press to perforate and score sheets of 28 lb. stock. At $25
buy-in per ream, we expect to make our investment back on the knives,
but it ain't cheap.

As an onlooker, I don't understand
the requirement for "knives", perforation and scoring?
Do you not just source the acid free stock,
take it to the printers, and have them shear the stiffeners off
using the best number given the stock size?

Rodney,

I was unclear. I was referring to the #6 3/4 envelopes in that
section, not the (hypothetical) stiffeners.

The covers are punched and folded out of one U.S. Letter-sized sheet
(22mm x 28mm) each. The boundaries are perforated (but tenacious
enough to survive passage through a laser printer), and the points at
which to fold the covers to shape are pre-creased. It is convenient,
but I wish the perforated lines were about 30% weaker, as I lose
envelopes due to tears too frequently.

Old February 22nd 08, 10:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Joshua McGee"
I was unclear. I was referring to the #6 3/4 envelopes in that
section, not the (hypothetical) stiffeners.

Oh, OK sorry about that.