Frustration

Old March 1st 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Default Frustration

Isn't it frustrating when you spot a scarce stamp on ebay hidden
amongst more common material, put in a good bid, and find that several
others had spotted it too.

The seller of the Trieste Postage Due set (lot 200202405541)
had not realised that the 25 lire was the very scarce version with a
short hyphen in AMG-FTT. The bidding of a set advertised as CV $48.75
went for over $200.

I told the seller why this was happening after I had reached my limit.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
Old March 1st 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

"Tony Clayton" wrote :

Isn't it frustrating when you spot a scarce stamp on ebay hidden
amongst more common material, put in a good bid, and find that
several
others had spotted it too.

Always happens to me...

The seller of the Trieste Postage Due set (lot 200202405541)
had not realised that the 25 lire was the very scarce version with a
short hyphen in AMG-FTT. The bidding of a set advertised as CV
$48.75
went for over $200.

I told the seller why this was happening after I had reached my
limit.

Please do NOT input any knowledge to a seller. That's contrary to any
charter I'm aware of.
;-)

--
Best regards,
Bruno

Old March 2nd 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
MySelf

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
"bc92" found these unused words:

"Tony Clayton" wrote :

Isn't it frustrating when you spot a scarce stamp on ebay hidden
amongst more common material, put in a good bid, and find that
several
others had spotted it too.

Always happens to me...

The seller of the Trieste Postage Due set (lot 200202405541)
had not realised that the 25 lire was the very scarce version with a
short hyphen in AMG-FTT. The bidding of a set advertised as CV
$48.75
went for over $200.

I told the seller why this was happening after I had reached my
limit.

Please do NOT input any knowledge to a seller. That's contrary to any
charter I'm aware of.
;-)

"Charter" ???

eBay has no 'charters'!

You are always welcome to ask any seller a question, correct mis-information
or ...

When in doubt, actually read the information in the HELP pages supplied on
eBay's site.

I often pass on plating information when not successful, so that the new
owner may have more information about his collection. Only caveat - I do it
-=after=- the listing has closed, as -=my=- choice of timing.

BAD information -=in=- the listing, I offer suggestions ASAP. Sometimes they
pull and correct, sometimes they know, and are dodgydealers.

I think you missed the smiley face at the end of the msg.
John
Old March 2nd 08, 11:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
bc92

"MySelf" TurkeyLips.com wrote:
Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
[...]

Thanks, John, that's a pal :-)

A small joke that misfired.

I still feel not so keen about displaying too much information to a
seller. That is only my personal charter, let's say.

--
Best regards,
Bruno (a buyer, of course)

Old March 2nd 08, 01:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
"bc92" found these unused words:

I told the seller why this was happening after I had reached my limit.

Please do NOT input any knowledge to a seller. That's contrary to any
charter I'm aware of.
;-)

"Charter" ???

eBay has no 'charters'!

You are always welcome to ask any seller a question, correct
mis-information
or ... etc. (Sir Ryan)

I think you missed the smiley face at the end of the msg.
John

A small joke that misfired.

Bruno (a buyer, of course)

It is difficult to imagine a knight in shining armour (chevalier sans peur
et sans reproche) outside the battle field :-)

--
Victor

Old March 2nd 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Tony Clayton[_2_]

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
[...]

Personally, I like to tell someone why a lot is realising much higher bids
than expected, as part of their general education.

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... Not a computer nerd; merely a techno-weenie.
Old March 4th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David Hicks[_2_]

Quote "
What about listing an 1841 2d blue claiming it's an 1840?
Similar "I don't know much about stamps, but this is a RARE ... "

Regretfully many seem to do similar things on internet auction sites, I
have seen several wrongly described ( not sure if deliberate or not ) but
it is worrying to see that many buyers bid regardless

There was one about 12 months ago or so, purporting to be a collection of
the scarcer penny plates, all those shown were SG40, ( and poor copies at
that ) but the bidding was going into silly money

David

Old March 4th 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

Sir F. A. Rien wrote:
[...]

I did this recently with an eBay seller. He had an, apparently,
unremarkable sheet of Barwani SG 36B for sale. I finally got it for
over $US 300, and was willing to go way beyond that, because it was
from the very rare Setting VI, with a printing of only 800 stamps.
The bidding frenzy resulted in a number of other, completely
unremarkable, Barwani sheets appearing on eBay at fancy prices. They
didn't sell.

A little knowledge ...

Tony the Antipodean
Old March 4th 08, 12:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default (RCSD) Frustration