Zimbabwe inflation

Old February 23rd 08, 09:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

Default Zimbabwe inflation

Reading a recent news story about inflation passing 100,000% I wondered what
had happened to the stamps - shades of Weimar Germany?

http://ukpress.google.com/article/AL...CYyRYOVxPgJlrg

The most recent stamps I could find on the net were a couple of years old
and were denominated in the thousands - what has happened since?

Old February 23rd 08, 09:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

Letters Upto 20g $550,000

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

Old February 24th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

BW calvin and hobbes

Old February 24th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:31:31 +0900, "rodney"
wrote:

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

BW calvin and hobbes

"Beam me up Scotty - there's no intelligent life down here."
Old February 24th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Feb 23, 4:37 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
Letters Upto 20g $550,000

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

Zim issues stamps denominated Z (20g Zimbabwe),
A (20g Africa), E (20g Europe), and R (20g rest of world).

There are a few denominated commems and definitives.
I believe the highest value was $100 thousand (now about
1 cent at black market rates).

Last week, the Zim dollar started at 7.5 million per USD.
It dropped to 16 and 20 million per USD by Friday.

I expect their postal rates to double again within a few days.

Blair
Old February 24th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 19:37:50 -0800 (PST), "Blair (TC)"
wrote:

On Feb 23, 4:37 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
Letters Upto 20g $550,000

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

Zim issues stamps denominated Z (20g Zimbabwe),
A (20g Africa), E (20g Europe), and R (20g rest of world).

There are a few denominated commems and definitives.
I believe the highest value was $100 thousand (now about
1 cent at black market rates).

Last week, the Zim dollar started at 7.5 million per USD.
It dropped to 16 and 20 million per USD by Friday.

I expect their postal rates to double again within a few days.

How the heck can someone live like that? The same goes for rampant
inflation in European countries in the early-mid 20th century. I can
see someone rolling out a wheel barrel of DM for a cup of coffee, let
alone the basics that one needed.

Any idea how these people survived / survive?
Old February 24th 08, 02:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:37 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
Letters Upto 20g $550,000

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

Zim issues stamps denominated Z (20g Zimbabwe),
A (20g Africa), E (20g Europe), and R (20g rest of world).

There are a few denominated commems and definitives.
I believe the highest value was $100 thousand (now about
1 cent at black market rates).

Last week, the Zim dollar started at 7.5 million per USD.
It dropped to 16 and 20 million per USD by Friday.

I expect their postal rates to double again within a few days.

How the heck can someone live like that? The same goes for rampant
inflation in European countries in the early-mid 20th century. I can
see someone rolling out a wheel barrel of DM for a cup of coffee, let
alone the basics that one needed.

Any idea how these people survived / survive?

Try reading :
http://www.zimbabwesituation.com/index.html

Blair
Old February 24th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
David French[_2_]

Letters Upto 20g $550,000

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

Zim issues stamps denominated Z (20g Zimbabwe),
A (20g Africa), E (20g Europe), and R (20g rest of world).

There are a few denominated commems and definitives.
I believe the highest value was $100 thousand (now about
1 cent at black market rates).

Last week, the Zim dollar started at 7.5 million per USD.
It dropped to 16 and 20 million per USD by Friday.

I expect their postal rates to double again within a few days.

How the heck can someone live like that? The same goes for rampant
inflation in European countries in the early-mid 20th century. I can
see someone rolling out a wheel barrel of DM for a cup of coffee, let
alone the basics that one needed.

Any idea how these people survived / survive?

Well, Money is a waste of time, so the more 'wealthy' people revert to
commodities - jewels, gold, art, (and even food) to barter with. Some
offer their time to work for food instead of wages, for those who can
still afford to 'pay' them.

At times like that, priorities change and survival kicks in!

David.

Old February 24th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:37 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
Letters Upto 20g $550,000

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

Zim issues stamps denominated Z (20g Zimbabwe),
A (20g Africa), E (20g Europe), and R (20g rest of world).

There are a few denominated commems and definitives.
I believe the highest value was $100 thousand (now about
1 cent at black market rates).

Last week, the Zim dollar started at 7.5 million per USD.
It dropped to 16 and 20 million per USD by Friday.

I expect their postal rates to double again within a few days.

How the heck can someone live like that? The same goes for rampant
inflation in European countries in the early-mid 20th century. I can
see someone rolling out a wheel barrel of DM for a cup of coffee, let
alone the basics that one needed.

Any idea how these people survived / survive?

Interesting to see that an overseas airmailed parcel
(Over 1kg to 2kg) costs $96,200,000 to mail, when
the highest face value on a stamp is the R stamp
(current value $4,600,000)

Blair
Old February 24th 08, 04:25 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote:
On Feb 23, 4:37 pm, "Gazza" wrote:
Letters Upto 20g $550,000

http://www.zimpost.co.zw/postalrates.html

Zim issues stamps denominated Z (20g Zimbabwe),
A (20g Africa), E (20g Europe), and R (20g rest of world).

There are a few denominated commems and definitives.
I believe the highest value was $100 thousand (now about
1 cent at black market rates).

Last week, the Zim dollar started at 7.5 million per USD.
It dropped to 16 and 20 million per USD by Friday.

I expect their postal rates to double again within a few days.

How the heck can someone live like that? The same goes for rampant
inflation in European countries in the early-mid 20th century. I can
see someone rolling out a wheel barrel of DM for a cup of coffee, let
alone the basics that one needed.

Any idea how these people survived / survive?

Try reading :
http://www.zimbabwesituation.com/index.html

Thanks. Also went to Wiki and checked it out. Sheesh... What a
mess.