Anybody buy from Saratogararecoin on ebay?

Old December 8th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bgg

Default Anybody buy from Saratogararecoin on ebay?

On Dec 7, 4:36 pm, tony cooper wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 16:23:40 -0800 (PST), bgg wrote:
On Dec 7, 4:17 pm, bgg wrote:
On Dec 7, 3:59 pm, RF wrote:

On Dec 7, 4:32 pm, bgg wrote:

Auction ended on 11/19, paid via PayPal echeck right away. Got an
email that it cleared on 11/26. I haven't received the coin or any
more here

Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=120183343429&...

What's a Paypal echeck? Never heard of it.

It withdraws from buyers checking account instead of PayPal balance.
No seller fees. Somehow it takes 4 days or more to withdraw the money
from my bank and get it to the seller. In the above case, it took a
week, since Thanksgiving intervened.

And then I just read this:

"Sellers may not communicate to buyers that they only accept account
balance or bank account funded payments, or will not accept card
funded payments.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

You have what looks to be a responsible seller. Ever think he may
have gone somewhere for Thanksgiving and just isn't back yet?

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

I have lots of thoughts, and that is indeed one of them, but I did get
positive feedback on the 26th. Lots of people are pretty bad about
replying to emails, even though they are responsible sellers. I
remember several that took a while to send, and never replied to
emails. I was just wondering if anyone had such an experience with
this seller. I was certainly not trying to accuse them of being
evil.
Old December 8th 07, 01:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
bgg

On Dec 7, 4:57 pm, Ken Barr wrote:

FYI, sellers are indeed charged their standard PayPal fee
for receiving payments via PayPal eChecks, with the exception
that the fee is capped at a maximum of $5.00 ...

Thanks for the clarification. For high value items, the PayPal fees
can be quite high.

We also get to pay our standard PayPal fee on receiving
PayPal balance transfers, with NO CAP, which makes absolutely
no sense to me whatsoever ...

I agree. Why do they charge the same for payments from credit card
balances as payments from PayPal balances? this definitely is crazy.
IIRC, they didn't used to do this when the first started (before ebay
bought them).
Old December 8th 07, 06:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

A PayPal check is sent to a seller when someone has their PayPal account
linked to their checking account and do not have a back-up method of payment
established (usually a credit card). When one has a back-up funding method
established, then Pay Pal sends payments instantly to the seller. No
waiting for the funds to be released.

Bob

Old December 8th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"Robert Dibbell" wrote in message
. ..
A PayPal check is sent to a seller when someone has their PayPal account
linked to their checking account and do not have a back-up method of
payment established (usually a credit card). When one has a back-up
funding method established, then Pay Pal sends payments instantly to the
seller. No waiting for the funds to be released.

Bob

How and when does PayPal take its cut on a transaction? I just recently
began accepting PayPal as a payment option on my eBay auctions. It's linked
to my checking account with a credit card backup. After my first
transaction, the buyer's payment showed up in my payPal account and I then
withdrew it to my checking account. Got me to wondering if PayPal will
automatically go into my checking account for its commission, if the PayPal
account balance is zero. Should I always leave something in my PayPal
account?

Bruce

Old December 8th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:00:38 -0500, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"Robert Dibbell" wrote in message
A PayPal check is sent to a seller when someone has their PayPal account
linked to their checking account and do not have a back-up method of
payment established (usually a credit card). When one has a back-up
funding method established, then Pay Pal sends payments instantly to the
seller. No waiting for the funds to be released.

Bob

I don't think Robert is correct about this. In the echeck-funded
PayPal transactions that I've been involved in, the money has been
deposited directly to my PayPal account. I've never received a check
in the mail involving an echeck/PayPal transaction.

You can, if you have a PayPal account with a balance, have them send a
check to someone, and that is an echeck. That's done when the person
you are sending the money to does not have a PayPal account or doesn't
want the money deposited to his PayPal account.

That is not what was described in OP's situation. He was referring to
a PayPal transaction where he received a deposit to his PayPal
account, and the other person's PayPal account was funded by an
echeck.

How and when does PayPal take its cut on a transaction?

The net proceeds will be deposited in your PayPal account.

I just recently
began accepting PayPal as a payment option on my eBay auctions. It's linked
to my checking account with a credit card backup. After my first
transaction, the buyer's payment showed up in my payPal account and I then
withdrew it to my checking account. Got me to wondering if PayPal will
automatically go into my checking account for its commission,

No.

Consider the scenario where your buyer disputes the transaction and
PayPal reverses the deposit. PayPal will only take from your account
what is in your account. They won't take the additional amount from
your checking account or charge your credit card. They will take it
when someone else buys from you and that amount is added to your
PayPal account.

Your back-up funding for PayPal - credit card or checking account - is
only used when you *pay* for something with PayPal. If you buy a coin
for $100, pay for it with PayPal, that amount will be taken from your
back-up if you don't have that amount in your PayPal balance. You
can, of course, deposit that amount in your PayPal account by instant
transfer prior to authorizing the PayPal payment.

if the PayPal
account balance is zero. Should I always leave something in my PayPal
account?

Depends. If you also buy using PayPal, your PayPal payments will not
go through unless there's a balance to cover them. You can add the
required amount or have PayPal use your back-up funding, but that can
take several days. If you don't buy using PayPal, sweeping the
balance is just fine.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old December 8th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

"Robert Dibbell" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Thanks for the information and the advice. I do mostly buy with PayPal, and
the payments are always taken out of my checking account. I don't keep
anything in my PayPal account. In my first PayPal experience as a seller,
the exact total payment due, including shipping, appeared in my PayPal
account-- no fee or commission was withheld. Then I transferred that amount
to my checking acct. That's why I wondered how and when PayPal would
collect its fee.

Bruce

Old December 8th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 09:56:38 -0500, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Robert Dibbell" wrote in message
om...
[...]

PayPal does not collect a fee from the buyer. The seller pays the
PayPal fee.

If you look at your "My Account" page on PayPal you should see a
column headed "Amount ($)" and next to that a column headed "Fee".
When you are the seller, the gross amount paid to you is in the Amount
column and the fee is in the next column. There is no column for "net
amount" so you don't see the amount less fee.

On my screen, I have to scroll over to see the fee column. Perhaps
this is the case with you and you are just not seeing that a fee was
charged when you were a seller. If you compare the "amount" to what
was actually added to your checking account you will see that you
received the net after fee.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old December 8th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote:

If you look at your "My Account" page on PayPal you should see a

column headed "Amount ($)" and next to that a column headed "Fee".
When you are the seller, the gross amount paid to you is in the Amount
column and the fee is in the next column. There is no column for "net
amount" so you don't see the amount less fee.

On my screen, I have to scroll over to see the fee column. Perhaps
this is the case with you and you are just not seeing that a fee was
charged when you were a seller. If you compare the "amount" to what
was actually added to your checking account you will see that you
received the net after fee.

Hmmmm. I don't see any "Fee" column. If I look at the bottom of the page
where there are a bunch of links, there is a "Fees" link. I clicked on that
and it brought up the PayPal fee policy. I note here that it shows FREE for
a Personal Account (as opposed to a Premier/Business Account) where "Receive
payments funded by PayPal Balance, PayPal Instant Transfer, or PayPal
eCheck". Perhaps that covers my situation and there is no fee charged,
andthe reason why I don't see the "Fee" column that you do. Otherwise, the
exact amount the buyer paid me is what appeared in my PayPal account and
what I transferred to my checking account.

I do note that if a buyer's PayPal payment is funded by credit card or debit
card, I would be charged 4.9% + 0.30, and that there is a limit of 5 such
transactions in a 12 month period. Should I be adding a "No PayPal credit
card payments accepted" or some such thing to my auctions?

Bruce

Old December 8th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

wrote:

[...]

Ah, well, that's the problem with trying to diagnose a situation where
what I have is not what you have. Evidently, you and I have a
different type of PayPal account. I have a "Premier" account (not
that there's anything "premier" about it). It allows me to accept
credit card payments. It also pays me interest if I have a balance
and to receive cash-back on purchases and provides me with a PayPal
credit card that I can use to spend money from my PayPal account.

I like this last feature - the credit card - because I'm using it to
pay for all of my Christmas presents. I put up for auction some
things I didn't want anymore (not coins), turned them into money, and
I'm buying Christmas presents without depleting my cash or adding to
credit card balances. Christmas will be "free" this year and all it
cost me was some stuff around the house that I had no further use for.

You evidently have a "personal" account.

I do note that if a buyer's PayPal payment is funded by credit card or debit
card, I would be charged 4.9% + 0.30, and that there is a limit of 5 such
transactions in a 12 month period.

My PayPal fees with a Premier account are 2.9% plus 30 cents with no
limit of number of transactions. That makes a significant difference
considering that what I primarily sell is US gold coins that sell for
several hundred dollars each. It's a $16 difference on an $800 coin.
For one coin, that may be acceptable, but not if several coins are
sold.

Should I be adding a "No PayPal credit
card payments accepted" or some such thing to my auctions?

Depends. In my opinion, that limits your ability to sell what you
list. If you tell a buyer that you won't accept his credit card
funded PayPal, you may not have a buyer.

If you won't accept my credit card funded PayPal payment, and I'm your
winning bidder, I'll have the transaction voided. I'm not going to
dick around and find another way to pay you. Also, I want the ability
to dispute the sale if you ship me something that is not what was
represented in the ad. A check or money order leaves me vulnerable.

Nothing personal about the above, you understand. The "you" is a
generic "you".

Everything's a trade-off, Bruce. To get this you give that.
Sometimes short-term gains don't offset long term costs.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old December 8th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
justicecow

On Dec 7, 1:32 pm, bgg wrote:
Auction ended on 11/19, paid via PayPal echeck right away. Got an
email that it cleared on 11/26. I haven't received the coin or any
more here

Here's the auction link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=120183343429&...

If you've been trying to email him via ebay, good luck. Many people
do not routinely check their ebay email "messages". You may have
better results if you email directly, assuming you haven't. FYI, ebay
used to foward emails but no longer does, although they deny this. I
haven't received an ebay forwarded email in over a year, which means I
have to go to the message area in my ebay routinely and check for
messages.

I'm going to guess, as someone else did, that because you made your
purchase during the Thanksgiving holiday which can slow everything
down including payments credited, bank transfers, mail pickups, your
item is on it's way to you. Your seller has an outstanding feedback
record, so my guess is not to worry. And paypal will refund your
money in total, shipping included if you do not receive your item.

Cynthia