Valuation source?

Old November 22nd 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Casual Observer

Default Valuation source?

I have mix of US coins - proof sets, mint sets, commemoratives, silver
dollars, wheat cents, dimes, etc. - accumulated over the years and now doing
nothing but taking up space. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing really
rare, and a lot of the coins are probably worth more for silver value than
numismatic value. What's the best source I can use to value the coins so I
can come up with a realistic price for the lot of them? Thanks!

Old November 22nd 07, 04:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
M K

Casual Observer wrote:
I have mix of US coins - proof sets, mint sets, commemoratives, silver
dollars, wheat cents, dimes, etc. - accumulated over the years and now doing
nothing but taking up space. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing really
rare, and a lot of the coins are probably worth more for silver value than
numismatic value. What's the best source I can use to value the coins so I
can come up with a realistic price for the lot of them? Thanks!

Depends.. if you intend to just sell them on ebay look there for prices
realized on ebay. Otherwise, if you know how to grade coins, use one of
the price guides (Coinvalues, Red Book, www.pcgs.com) and discount by
about 10-20%. Note that some will not give you mint-set values. You
could also try to find a coin dealer who'll give you a (free) estimate.

HTH.

take out the notsofast, yo!
Old November 22nd 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Nov 21, 8:23 pm, "Casual Observer"
wrote:
I have mix of US coins - proof sets, mint sets, commemoratives, silver
dollars, wheat cents, dimes, etc. - accumulated over the years and now doing
nothing but taking up space. I'm pretty sure that there's nothing really
rare, and a lot of the coins are probably worth more for silver value than
numismatic value. What's the best source I can use to value the coins so I
can come up with a realistic price for the lot of them? Thanks!

Try Coin World's "Coin Value" magazine adjunct. Gives retail prices
for most series. Some high, some low but it will give you a general
idea of current prices.
Old November 22nd 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

Proof sets, Mint sets and Commemorative coins will sell at different prices
depending on how many are up for auction at the time you list yours (or at
least at the time your auctions end). Unless you have a key set (like the
1999 Silver Proof Set or the 2004 Mint Set) you'll probably get 70% or so of
Redbook prices.

Loose silver coins might sell better as a weighed lot sold as bulk silver.
Likewise with pre-1982 Lincolns. Some people expect copper prices to go
through the roof and as such, there may be a black market run on them. It's
illegal to melt them, but criminals aren't concerned with obeying laws
anyway.

Good luck to you.

Bob

"M K" wrote in message