WTB AMP & TSU Rebuild Kits

Old January 11th 04, 10:02 PM
Ken In Texas

Default WTB AMP & TSU Rebuild Kits

Thinking of redoing both the selection and amp in my 222. Who has the
best kits for these? I know Vern sells them but does anyone else?

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."

Old January 11th 04, 11:16 PM
Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

FWIW, I've always preferred buying discrete components myself as opposed to
the pre-packaged kits - and I've been working on jukes since Home Arcade (?)
in Lisle, IL first came out with the rebuild kits (pre-dating Vern and the
other guys).

Most of the kits out there use radial lead style polypropelene or polyester
caps (such as "Orange Drops"). These don't look like the originals and often
don't have sufficient lead length to reach from tube socket to tube socket.
At times you have to resort to splicing in extra lead length.

You can buy decent quality - and affordable - tubular caps with axial leads
from Antique Electronics (and others). In the end I bet your price will be
about the same (or less) for just as good quality and better appearance.

If you're a real stickler for originality you can also get can-type
electrolytics from Antique Electronics. I doubt you'd find these in any of
the kits, since the cans often run $20+ each.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old January 12th 04, 05:59 AM
Ken Layton

Yup, I'm with Tony on this one. I buy all my caps at Antique Electronics. I get
the axial polyesters cause like he says they reach from tube socket to socket
better and are alot cheaper than orange drops.

Ken Layton
Olympia, Wash.

Old January 13th 04, 10:27 PM
Ken In Texas

Yes, but with Antique Electronics will they send you everything you need
or do you have to provide a list? Do they have a website?

Old January 13th 04, 11:07 PM
Joseph A. Tony Dziedzic

You look on the schematic parts list in the manual and make a list, and buy
how ever many of whatever part you need. I'm not kidding, it's REALLY THAT
EASY! (obligatory smiley face omitted)

Antique Electronics is on the Web at http://www.tubesandmore.com/

Tony