Does this sound like a decent deal?

Old November 29th 03, 02:12 AM
Shawn

Default Does this sound like a decent deal?

Hi,
My mom always wanted a jukebox for the house. I wanted to get her one for
X-mas, but I'm 17! I can't afford all these expensive jukeboxes I see. So
I hit up Ebay. I found this guy he

Does it sound like a decent deal? Is it an easy fix? I'm looking for
something that can play either 45's or CD's, don't matter which, as long as
it can hold a few.
Thanks for any help.

-Shawn

Old November 29th 03, 02:33 AM
BOBAKER147

That box has great sound - but it uses an OLD Sony player that is as big as a
microwave oven.. These are prone to break down and you need specialized
equipment to repair it. You can send it away but it's expensive. Get her A
Rowe AMI either one that plays 45s or a CD box. The CD boxes are probably out
of your range but watch the auctions and local bargain traders for one. You
might try calling a local coin-op - video game operator to see if they have any
old retired machines. Get their names off the machines in a sports bar or a
pizza joint. But remember get a ROWE!!
Old November 29th 03, 10:46 AM
KLR

On 29 Nov 2003 02:33:15 GMT, (BOBAKER147) wrote:

That box has great sound - but it uses an OLD Sony player that is as big as a
microwave oven.. These are prone to break down and you need specialized
equipment to repair it. You can send it away but it's expensive. Get her A
Rowe AMI either one that plays 45s or a CD box. The CD boxes are probably out
of your range but watch the auctions and local bargain traders for one. You
might try calling a local coin-op - video game operator to see if they have any
old retired machines. Get their names off the machines in a sports bar or a
pizza joint. But remember get a ROWE!!

Very good advice - and I agree fully !!.

With the Rowes - you can often buy Combo 45/CD units
Combos typically hold 6 or 10 CD's and 100 Records. I've never really
liked these units all that much, and they use pioneer or sony home CD
changers that must be getting hard to get parts or service for these
days (or just arent worth fixing)

Here is a typical R-91 on EBAY (note that this one doesnt have the CD
player - but the CD version does look the same as this

Or you can buy the CD-100 which holds up to 100 CD's..
The ROWE CD 100 is obviously more expensive - but it will be around a
lot longer as far as parts are concerned. Often seen for around
$1000-1500 US or so on ebay - this is good buying . You will be
able to get plenty of help/parts for it from people on here too in the
future if you have troubles. Also the CD players used in the Rowe CD
100 are well known - and have been used for years also in NSM &
Rockola jukes too - so they are not as hard to get fixed - as the
Seeburg you showed us would be.

Here is a ROWE CD 100 from ebay.

Finally - If you don't mind 45rpm only,and are on a REALLY tight
budget - if you can get this for $200 US or so - its a really nice
little juke to have. Well built, Reliable - Great sound and very
small, and takes up a lot less space in your home than a full size one
would.

I had 2 of these in my operation years ago for party hire etc - and I
loved them

Old November 29th 03, 05:46 PM
Tony Miklos

Shawn wrote:

Hi,
My mom always wanted a jukebox for the house. I wanted to get her one for
X-mas, but I'm 17! I can't afford all these expensive jukeboxes I see. So
I hit up Ebay. I found this guy he

Does it sound like a decent deal? Is it an easy fix? I'm looking for
something that can play either 45's or CD's, don't matter which, as long as
it can hold a few.
Thanks for any help.

-Shawn

Like the others sort of said, if the CD player goes bad, a repair can
cost more than the box is worth. And I doubt it's coming with a
warranty. I'd pass on that one.

As far as brand name, if you get a vinyl (45's) player old enough that
is has very limited electronics, like 1975 or older, you should never
have a problem getting someone to repair it many years from now no
matter what the brand.

The newer (late 70's and up,(boy I'm getting old!)) solid state jukes
will eventually run out of specialized electronic components and may
become useless except to use for a night light. If going with something
newer, I do have a big problem with Rock-Ola's, for many years their
electronics sucked big time. AMI/Rowe's were much more reliable. And
although not too many people are familiar with them, Wurlitzers are
probably the most dependable. The problem can be finding someone to fix
it if it does break! I get calls from a 100 mile radius of me to do
Wurlitzer repairs because no one else will touch them. I honestly think
the problem is not that they are difficult to repair, but:

a)They weren't as popular around this area so repairmen had less exposer
to them.

b)They were dependable and hardly ever broke, so fewer people ever had
the chance to learn and get familiar with them. So now they look at
them like a scary monster they don't want to touch. That's how I think
of NSM's, simply because I don't have much experience with them. I
don't know if they are any better or worse, I just know that I don't
know them!

--
Tony
Old December 1st 03, 03:41 PM
stbann

For anyone who would be interested ...

I will have upgrade conversion kits for both the Pioneer and Seeburg
CD jukeboxes before the end of December.

We are now shipping conversion kits for the Rowe CD100 jukeboxes.

Our conversion kits do not require any jukebox modifications, you can
switch back to the original player within seconds.

More details at http://www.cdadapter.com

Happy Holidays

-Ann Marie
Old December 2nd 03, 03:46 PM
ThomasTeeter

Tony Miklos wrote in message . ..

The newer (late 70's and up,(boy I'm getting old!)) solid state jukes
will eventually run out of specialized electronic components and may
become useless except to use for a night light.

There are enough of the later Rowe solid state jukes (R84 and up)
around that I seriously doubt this will truly be a problem. Boards can
be redesigned and produced cheaply enough that it is just a matter of
time before it happens. This has already been done with several early
solid state pinball circuit boards- most notably the replacement Bally
MPU which has the ROMS of ALL the early Bally/Stern pinball games all
on one board- you can take the board from one game, flip a couple DIP
switches and move it right into another game without any other
modifications. These boards have been redesigned and built and are of
MUCH BETTER quality than the originals, and are profitable to
make/resell for less than $200. I'm surprised it hasn't happened
already in the jukebox industry. I have considered undertaking such a
project myself (and still am), but just have too many other projects
to seriously pursue it for at least another couple years (There's only
so much one can do in the six 18 hour days I work each week... . By
that time somebody else may have already beat me to it, and that would
be alright too- it can only be a good thing for the jukebox hobbiest
or operators. I'm willing to bet a CCC can be constructed that will
work as a single replacement for both types of CCC's used in the R84
thru R94 models.

Thomas
E-mail: thomasteeter(at)budweiser.com
Old December 3rd 03, 01:39 AM
KLR

On 2 Dec 2003 07:46:19 -0800, (ThomasTeeter) wrote:

[...]

It would be relatively easy - and more cost effective to make a
boardset to replace both board types - and for that matter - probably
quite viable to cover the R-80-83 series as well in the same board.
(though wiring mods would likely be needed to fit a single board in
these old multi-board machines.)

These days - you could easily shove the whole works in a single
microcontroller IC.

One bigger problem relating to these machines in the future I feel
could be the lack of availibility of music and needles/cartridges and
other mech-related parts.

However - one of those little MP3 conversion kids would fix that

Old December 4th 03, 01:13 PM
ThomasTeeter

KLR wrote in message . ..

It would be relatively easy - and more cost effective to make a
boardset to replace both board types - and for that matter - probably
quite viable to cover the R-80-83 series as well in the same board.
(though wiring mods would likely be needed to fit a single board in
these old multi-board machines.)

These days - you could easily shove the whole works in a single
microcontroller IC.

You are probably right about covering the R80-R83's.

One bigger problem relating to these machines in the future I feel
could be the lack of availibility of music and needles/cartridges and
other mech-related parts.

Perhaps, but I'm pretty sure this won't happen in at least my
lifetime. Availabilty of music has actually improved since I stopped
operating 45 RPM jukeboxes around 1991 or 1992. Not too mention the
fact that price of new records has actually gone down since then too.
There aren't too many things cheaper than they were 10 or 12 years
ago. Computers maybe, but I can't think of much else...
Now, if mech parts become scarce in my lifetime, then I often curse my
retirement that takes up so much space in the back end of my shop...

However - one of those little MP3 conversion kids would fix that

Or the kits to change them over to CD's. I've done a number of these
too. Also a good way to build up your inventory of mech parts!

Thomas
thomasteeter(at)budweiser.com
Old December 5th 03, 01:13 AM
Tony Miklos

stbann wrote:
For anyone who would be interested ...

I will have upgrade conversion kits for both the Pioneer and Seeburg
CD jukeboxes before the end of December.

We are now shipping conversion kits for the Rowe CD100 jukeboxes.

Our conversion kits do not require any jukebox modifications, you can
switch back to the original player within seconds.

More details at http://www.cdadapter.com

Hmm, looks VERY interesting!

Tono