Getting the Public to Use Half Dollars and Dollars

Old November 17th 03, 07:57 AM
Ami .

The obvious solution is to adapt every coin-op machine to take only
pennies. That way changes would rarely have to be made to the mechanism
and there would never be a need to dispense change. =A0 People would
warm to the cent again, return the contents of their piggy banks to
circulation, and enjoy that $1.50 Diet Coke more because of the work
they had to go through to get it.

So, people would appreciate their pennies more if they had to invest
sweat equity in their use? Hmmm...

Old November 17th 03, 08:01 AM
Chris S

"Bob Flaminio" :
Not a chance. The only way to get the public to use dollar coins is to
discontinue the rag buck. The actual design is irrelevant. The Sackie
has a good size, color, and edge; but without the elimination of rag
bucks, it will always be a "niche" coin.

The half dollar is a hopeless cause. Most vending machines don't even
have slots big enough to accept them. My idea for the half is to
discontinue JFK, and make the half a circulating commemorative, with the
design changing every year. For example, this year it would be the First
Flight coin -- rather than just releasing them in mint sets, release
them to circulation as well. (They are CuNi clad, after all.) Sure, they
won't *really* circulate, but then -- neither does the JFK.

I'm with you. I'd eliminate $1 bills, $2 bills, halves, nickels, and
cents. We could probably do without $50 bills also, but I'd keep dimes
for now. If the Mint and BEP found it profitable to sell the
eliminated denominations as collector-only issues, fine. But America
would be better off not circulating unnecessary denominations.

--Chris
Old November 17th 03, 08:03 AM
Ami .

What's unatractive about Disney cartoons?

Disney cartoons are very cute! But dollars should be noble! How
ridiculous it is having the Little Mermaid on U.S dollar coins!!

Let's not stop there! The mint should go all the way and release silver
proof sets of Ninja Turtles!!

Old November 17th 03, 08:10 AM
Vector

I feel that the only way a dollar coin will succeed is if the dollar
bill is discontinued. Design is irrelevant, except that a new design
would most probably encourage hoarding.

The half dollar is too large in its present form, relative to it's
value.

BTW, I favor discontinuing the cent.
Old November 17th 03, 08:12 AM
Ami .

The half dollar is a hopeless cause. Most vending machines don't even
have slots big enough to accept them. My idea for the half is to
discontinue JFK, and make the half a circulating commemorative, with the
design changing every year. For example, this year it would be the First
Flight coin -- rather than just releasing them in mint sets, release
them to circulation as well. (They are CuNi clad, after all.) Sure, they
won't *really* circulate, but then -- neither does the JFK.

The only way that would work is if the yearly half designs had some type
of public input, like the state quarters. People like the circulating
changing state quarters because there's an emotional attachment to
having your own state on a coin, they're easy to collect and the public
has input on each state's design.

If the mint starts releasing circulating coins like First Flight
commemoratives, the reaction would be a big yawn from the public.

Old November 17th 03, 08:18 AM
Ami .

As stupid as you people claim it is, why not put Balto on a coin or
note after dogs have served mankind for so long, yet shelters are
gassing thousands of good dogs, sentencing them to death when their only
crime was, their stupid human owners bred their parents without thinking
of where to place them when they were weaned from their parents? Now
THAT is unfair. The problem is, most people are stupid and seem to think
humans are either the only speices on the planet, or the only
"important" speices on the planet.

Animals on coins are fine. The Buffalo nickel and dollar are well
regarded. However, I believe if animals are used on U.S. coins, the
design should be animals such as a buffalo, a lion, wolf, a bear, a
whale or other noble creature.

Putting dogs on coins would open a floodgate of dog lovers all wanting
their favorite breeds on the coins. The Chow Chow club would want their
favorite on a coin. Then the German Shephard organization would want a
coin. Then the Yorkie association, then the Poodle association etc. etc.

Old November 17th 03, 08:22 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

Could we put her on a new $25 note? I think she is hot. We can put her portrait
on the front, have this picture in this link to go across the back. (-;

http://us.vclart.net/vcl/Artists/Doug-Winger/foxey2.gif

Tom
Old November 17th 03, 08:23 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

How about we add at least a $500 bill to our current denominations if we
eliminated a few other denominations?

Tom
Old November 17th 03, 08:43 AM
Malanutt 4 Life

The reason I choose Balto to be on a coin or note is because his story was
true.He made a sled run to get a syrum to people who were sick and dying. I
don't think some breed organization could get just an ordanary dog on the
money. It would have to be a "famous" dog. Besides Balto, I always thought
Lassie would be a good canadate for a bill or coin, even though Lassie wasn't a
"true" hero.

Tom
Old November 17th 03, 08:47 AM
Ami .

Could we put her on a new $25 note? I think she is hot. We can put her
portrait on the front, have this picture in this link to go across the
back. (-;

Oh Please! Even cartoonists are jumping on the fake breast implant
bandwagon!!

BU roll 2001D Half dollars [email protected] Coins 0 November 3rd 03 01:06 AM
1964 Kennedy half dollars????????? Tomk10 Coins 1 September 1st 03 09:33 PM
Yet another ANA report Ed. Stoebenau Coins 3 August 8th 03 01:34 AM
Barber half dollars Mr Bob Coins 1 July 12th 03 05:02 AM
Barber half dollars Mr Bob Coins 0 July 12th 03 04:13 AM