Canadian 10 cent coin query

Old February 18th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus

Default Canadian 10 cent coin query

It's a 2001 P, KM# 412, which is listed as a proof. My question is was this
coin ever released as a business strike, or is the one that I have in hand a
proof that escaped into the wild? Thanks in advance to the usual guilty
party.

Old February 18th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Honus" wrote in message
It's a 2001 P, KM# 412, which is listed as a proof. My question is was
this
coin ever released as a business strike, or is the one that I have in hand
proof that escaped into the wild? Thanks in advance to the usual guilty
party.

Moi?

Ever since the Canadian Mint discovered that it was sitting on a cash cow,
it has been going absolutely berserk issuing metal stampings, usually in
valuable metals, and sometimes in really weird denominations, almost always
in a fancy presentation case. Want a silver $8 coin? Seek no further than
the fine folks in Ottawa. Three-cent piece? Got 'em!

The coin in question was one of those, and, yes, produced in proof only.
The one thing I am not able to say for sure is whether it was also available
as part of one of the many "set" concoctions.

James
'typed with clenched teeth'

Old February 18th 07, 04:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Honus" wrote in message
[...]

Scratch that. No, don't scratch that, but I just checked the Charlton
catalog and they state that 224,714,000 examples of that design were struck
in plated steel.

James
'another correction to send to Krause'

Old February 18th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Honus" wrote in message
[...]

That's why I no longer collect current Canadian coins, or even keep up with
them. You can't tell the players, even WITH a program.

James
'and we won't even discuss the price of hot dogs at the ballpark'

Old February 18th 07, 07:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus

"Honus" wrote in message
[...]

Charlton catalog? I've never heard of that one. sigh I've finally got all
four of the Krause World Coin catalogs, plus the Unusual World Coins volume,
and now I find there's more...Krause, Yeoman, Charlton...does it ever end?

Speaking of the Unusual World Coins catalog, I actually used it to look up a
coin today. I picked up a Gardiner's Island X# PT3 Pattern Trial Proof on
Nicon for 5 bucks. Now...what's Nicon? And why did Franklin Mint bother
making these things?

Old February 18th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus

Scratch that. No, don't scratch that, but I just checked the Charlton
catalog and they state that 224,714,000 examples of that design were
struck in plated steel.

James
'another correction to send to Krause'

That's why I no longer collect current Canadian coins, or even keep up

with
them. You can't tell the players, even WITH a program.

I see what you mean. But living relatively close to the border, I pick them
up in change whether I want them or not. And if you can't beat them....

'and we won't even discuss the price of hot dogs at the ballpark'

I can deal with the price of the dogs. It's what they want for beer
that -really- kills me.

Old February 18th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Honus" wrote in message

"Honus" wrote in message
[...]

The Charlton catalog, now in its 60th-something edition, is the bellwether
reference for Canadian coins. Charlton also publishes the Standard Catalog
of Canadian Colonial Tokens, as well as a host of other titles related to
Canadian numismatics. There's also the Haxby book, which I like because it
includes information not in Charlton.

Speaking of the Unusual World Coins catalog, I actually used it to look up
coin today. I picked up a Gardiner's Island X# PT3 Pattern Trial Proof on
Nicon for 5 bucks. Now...what's Nicon? And why did Franklin Mint bother
making these things?

Last question answered first: Because someone commissioned them to be made,
and who is Franklin Mint to turn away work?

I have no idea what Nicon is. And as for the Unusual World Coins
cat...well, maybe someday in a private email.

James

Old February 18th 07, 02:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Cooper

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 07:45:58 GMT, "Honus"
wrote:

'and we won't even discuss the price of hot dogs at the ballpark'

I can deal with the price of the dogs. It's what they want for beer
that -really- kills me.

I ordered a beer from a female vendor in the stands at an Orlando
Magic game. When told how much, I said that I had never paid that
much for a beer to a woman with her top on before. She was not
amused.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL
Old February 18th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Honus" wrote in message
[...]

I finally had a chance to check on that Nicon business. The full name is
"Nicon Frankinium," probably a trademarked name for some alloy used
exclusively by the FM. My guess is that NIckel and COpper are the big
players in that mixture. A parallel exists in the Isle of Man coins made by
the Pobjoy Mint in an alloy dubbed "Virenium," a clever take-off on "Vir,"
the Latin word for "man."

James

Old February 18th 07, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Tony Clayton

"Honus" wrote in message
[...]

Probably just good old cupronickel!!

--