The Crown Jewel Of Your Collection

Old May 8th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default The Crown Jewel Of Your Collection

A "Fine/Poor" copy of "I,Robot" with a very well forged Asimov
signature.

Taught me a lot.

Now all I need to find is a "Poor/Fine", and I'm set.

Dave
Old May 8th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 7 May 2006 05:24:33 -0700, "BobFinnan.com"
wrote:

It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?

Depends on the collection. I have signed/inscribed copies of old UFO
books by George Adamski and Howard Menger that I consider the best of
my saucer-nuts collection; I have several signed Conklins, the
pinnacles of my Conklin collection; I have a fine, unread copy of
_Rumble_, also inscribed, in my Ellison collection; and a nice copy of
_The Fantastic Universe Omnibus_ signed by Santesson. Neither Conklin
nor Santesson signed very many books.
Old May 8th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On Sun, 7 May 2006 11:02:18 -0700, "Count St. Germain"
wrote:

1902 first edition of The Hound of the Baskervilles in very fine condition
signed by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Now, THAT'S hot. Much envy from here.

Old May 8th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Bill White wrote:

That would be a good thread -- cost aside, what would be first on your want
list?

Bill White

Without any shadow of a doubt, it would be J.S. Le Fanu's own personal
copy of GHOST STORIES & TALES OF MYSTERY [1851].

Old May 8th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

That would be a good thread -- cost aside, what would be first on
your want list?

A Mayan codex the Inquisition missed.

Old May 9th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

A small novel, written in 1966. Published first in the UK and then in the
USA with later paperback editions in both countries. A movie was made of it
in 1974. His first novel was also the first to treat a particular subject
in a realistic manner and to many remains a classic, perhaps still one of
the best in this field.

The writer wrote two books, this novel and a second. He then disappeared
from further writing and from view in 1974.

In 2004, I decided to locate him and, after a considerable search, found him
and was able to get both of his books autographed. In correspondence I was
told how the book came to be written, the story of the screenplay
development, and so much more. The screenwriter forwarded copies of the
correspondence between the writer and herself at the time of filming; the
awkward title was selected by the publisher, a quote from another source.

"I Want What I Want" by Geoff Brown is not a well known book save in certain
circles. Within those circles, most know of the book and have read it. In
fact, it is common ground between readers in Australia, Sweden, the USA and
Canada and around the world. There is no other signed copy known.

Willow

Old May 9th 06, 12:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

That would be a good thread -- cost aside, what would be first on your want list?

A Fine/Fine 1st edition of: the 1st Hardy Boys book "The Tower
Treasure" or the rarest Hardy 1st ed. "While The Clock Ticked".
--
RWF
http://bobfinnan.com

Old May 9th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

That would be a good thread -- cost aside, what would be first on your
want
list?

Geez...with no research on particular editions just beautiful books...

"Wuthering Heights"
"The Great Gatsby"
"Ulysses"
"1984"
"Lord of the Rings"
First publication of "Hamlet"
"Foundation"
"Moby Dick"

AAAARGH........ thread is way too hard

EdenR

Old May 9th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

On 08 May 2006 18:02:28 GMT, (Bill White) wrote:

That would be a good thread -- cost aside, what would be first on your want
list?

Five more Raymond Chandler novels.
Old May 10th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Bill White wrote:
"BobFinnan.com" wrote:

It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?

There are two. *Many* years ago I was having an anxiety attack over a bad
marriage and I cured it by driving to a tiny used bookstore in a nearby
town (my recommended fix for what ails you....). The owner had, that day,
gotten a group of books in from a gentleman who had passed away. I picked
out a vg/f first of Invisible Man and a vg/f first of The Catcher in the
Rye. Both are inscribed by their authors to the collector. I paid peanuts
and almost literally ran out of the store before the guy changed his mind.

I still have the books (and would never sell); the marriage ended soon
after.

I have coveted -- signed true first of Ulysses; ditto of Lolita. I'd also
like the version of Ulysses with the Matisse lithos, signed by both.

That would be a good thread -- cost aside, what would be first on your want
list?

Bill White

An autographed first of "The Dying Earth."