2005 Oregon Quarter proof doubled-die _and_ mechanical doubling found

Old August 26th 05, 06:15 AM

Default 2005 Oregon Quarter proof doubled-die _and_ mechanical doubling found

This evening if have compared my 2005s Oregon proof quarter with an
ANACS-graded 1956-D/D quarter. Both were purchased on Ebay. Another ng
reader kindly posted this site
http://www.coingalaxy.com/infostart/index.html
as a good location for determining the difference between doubled-die
coins and MDD coins.

Close examination of the proof quarter set indicates only one coin is a
doubled die: the 2005s Oregon quarter. Doubling is present in the
"QUARTER DOLLAR" and mint mark. Doubling is especially apparent in the
R, E, D, O, and A. The mint mark "s" clearly shows a separate serif.

In addition, "IN GOD WE TRUST" appears to be mechanically doubled
(MDD). The letters are squashed, with a step appearing on either side
of all, or almost all, letters.

I have at least 3 other proof sets from the Mint as well. All 3 of
these sets have at least some MDD. I have not checked the others for
the doubled die yet.

Wasn't the new manufacturing process supposed to prevent any doubled
die varieties from happening during the state quarter sets?

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old August 26th 05, 06:42 AM

Thanks for posting, Phil.

I should have said it was my opinion. But it was also a very studied
opinion. I did not use a 10x loup for my comparison, but a 100x
MICRONTA Illuminated Microscope and 8x Magnifier. I would not trust my
own naked eye opinion because of my poor eyesite.

However, the "s" doubled-die is as strong as the1956-D/D doubled-die in
my opinion. Under 100x, they appears neither more nor less separated. I
believe the "s" is less easy to see the doubled serif with than the D,
but that again is just my opinion.

Here's the kicker: under the other proof sets I got from the Mint
earlier this year, I found _another_ quarter which also has a
doubled-die "s". I'm still looking to hear from other people whether
they have found a 2005s proof doubled-die quarter. However, it appears
from the 4 proof 2005s Oregon quarters I own that the double-die is not
uncommon.

It does seem odd though that none of the other quarters (with one
exception) shows any indication of either double-die or mechanical
double die - even under 100x.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old August 27th 05, 04:57 AM
bri

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Oh brother--
;-)
You cannot have a doubled die '05 SHQ proof since they did not mash a
working hub into a working die more than one time.
Double means twice. Everything called a doubled die since the '95 DD Lincoln
is not a doubled die. It's just marketing. They are either die abrasion
doubling (what yours is more than likely--check out the mushy strike and the
wavy-looking field around the MM) or a defective working hub that was not
annealed correctly which produced a doubling effect. Machine or ejection
double damage would look all sheared off and the flat areas look shiny.
Also with die abrasion doubling you can get some serifs that will be
separated. If it were a mis-aligned double strike the reverse would be
doubled as well.
I'll give you a great example of what is not a doubled die but they call it
such--'04P Keelboat Jeffs. You can find die state progressions right up to
and past the point of where they look like doubled dies. I know because I
got some in a jar. The late die states have totally missing letters but
they'll still have a double-looking 4 in the date. One that I have has a
double looking eyeball--ewww it's freaky! It's just plain die abrasion
doubling.
Same with '04 Lincolns that they call doubled dies. They made how many
billions of these coins? Odds are you can find images of the Virgin Mary
stamped into newer coins if you look at enough of them. You'd be better off
finding something like that.