The Crown Jewel Of Your Collection

Old May 10th 06, 12:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default The Crown Jewel Of Your Collection

John, thanks for clarifying the date of publication. There's no
traditional title page in the book, and some things pointed to 1991,
others to 1989. I guess 1989 it is.

Denton

On Tue, 09 May 2006 10:33:03 -0500, John A. Stovall
wrote:

On Sun, 07 May 2006 09:02:19 -0400, Denton Taylor
wrote:

Most of my more valuable photo monographs will be auctioned by Swann
Galleries May 18th. But I am keeping a small collection and one of my
favorites is:

"A Photo Report on The Chemical Massacre in Halabja by Iranian
Photographers". In pictorial boards, privately published in 1991 by
the Kurdish Relief Aid. Apparantly an attempt to influence public
opinion, this copy was sent to Mike Wallace with a glued-in letter to
same, signed by the Director of KRA.

Documents the gassing of the Kurds by Saddam Hussein. Gruesome if
mediocre photography. I've yet to see a copy on line, until, umm
today. Oh well. But I like it also because I only paid a dollar at a
local book sale.

Denton

Actually the 1st was published in 1989.

Title: A Photo report on the chemical massacre in Halabja /
Corp Author(s): Iran Photo Foundation.
Publication: [Tehran? : Iran Photo Foundation,
Year: 1989
Language: English
SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Chemical warfare -- Iraq -- Kurdistan.
Iran-Iraq War, 1980-1988 -- Chemical warfare.
Documentary photography.
Geographic: Halabjah (Iraq) -- History -- Massacre, 1988.
Note(s): "May 1988."/ Accompanied by supplement containing Arabic
translation of text and captions.
Other Titles: Chemical massacre in Halabjah.
Responsibility: by Iranian photographers.
Document Type: Book
Entry: 19931012
Update: 19950706
Accession No: OCLC: 29324740
Database: WorldCat

Sounds like you have a pirate copy.

Old May 10th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Great quote, Jerry.

I have not tried to collect books from the collections of others, but I
have a first edition of "Through the Looking Glass", in fine condition,
in a beautiful quarter red-leather binding, with a lovely bookplate,
featuring a Borzoi-like dog, and the name "Francis Bayard Rives".
whatever else this person did in his life, he took wonderful care of
this book. I see from Google that Francis Rives was a member of the
Yale Dramatic Association in 1908-09.

Anyway, this has to be the crown jewel of my collection, although I
have a number of "Naturalist's Library" bird books from the 1830s and
1840s with hand colored plates, each of which runs a close second.

Gary Pfeifer
Nederland, Colorado

Old May 10th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

BobFinnan.com wrote:
It may or may not be the most valuable or expensive book you own but
what do you consider the "Crown Jewel" of your collection?
--
RWF
http://BobFinnan.com

I can't limit it to one, since the two I have in mind so closely
complement one another. The first is The Galaxy Reader of Science
Fiction (New York: Crown Publisher, Inc, 1952) edited by Horace L.
Gold, with lengthy inscription and signed by Gold to Groff and Lucy
Conklin; dated March 1, 1952. The second is Science Fiction Terror
Tales (New York: Gnome Press, 1955), edited by Groff Conklin, with long
inscription by Conklin to HL Gold and signed (as "Groff") and dated
April 9, 1955 on ffep; additionally signed in full to title page. The
latter previously belonged to Marta Randall, SF author and
daughter-in-law of Gold's last wife.

Then again, maybe it's my HB US first of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris (New
York: Walker, 1970).

Regards, Tim