Copper looking state quarter

Old April 30th 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Copper looking state quarter

I was wondering if I could get opinions on a quarter that is on
eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASS-MA-2000-P-C...QQcmdZViewItem

It’s item number 290226478258 in case the link does no work.

It’s my wife’s auction, and as it says in the listing, she found it in
some change and it looks like it does not have the cladding on it.
The weight was 5.7 grams, which I think is a regular quarter. So if
the weight is right, what could have been done to this quarter to make
it all copper like this?

TIA,
David

Old April 30th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASS-MA-2000-P-C...ARTER-MISSING-...

It’s item number 290226478258 in case the link does no work.

It’s my wife’s auction, and as it says in the listing, she found it in
some change and it looks like it does not have the cladding on it.
The weight was 5.7 grams, which I think is a regular quarter. *So if
the weight is right, what could have been done to this quarter to make
it all copper like this?

TIA,
David

____________________________________
____________________________________
____________________________________

Judging by the irregularity of the surface coloring, it appears to be
chemically
treated. *Give it a little scratch, and you'll likely see the real
coin color
underneath.
______________________________________

Thanks for the reply. Actually there is a scratch on the tail side,
and looks like shinny copper. Am I right that the 5.7 grams is the
correct weight for a regular quarter? It just seems strange to me.

Old April 30th 08, 09:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Helen Wallace

"Jim Menning" wrote in message

Judging by the irregularity of the surface coloring, it appears to be
chemically treated. Give it a little scratch, and you'll likely see the
real coin color underneath.

Don't scratch a coin to see if it's rare!!! How idiotic!

--
Helen Wallace
R.E. Wallace Stamps & Coins

Old April 30th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 30, 4:39*pm, "Helen Wallace"
wrote:
"Jim Menning" wrote in message

Judging by the irregularity of the surface coloring, it appears to be
chemically treated. *Give it a little scratch, and you'll likely see the
real coin color underneath.

Don't scratch a coin to see if it's rare!!! How idiotic!

--
Helen Wallace
R.E. Wallace Stamps & Coins
Fort Worth, Texas
"Since 1948"

Although it is scratched, I didn’t scratch it on purpose. In fact the
scratch happened after we had it. I have another scan without the
scratch; I don’t know how it got scratched.
Old May 1st 08, 05:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Apr 30, 9:48*am, wrote:
I was wondering if I could get opinions on a quarter that is on
eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MASS-MA-2000-P-C...ARTER-MISSING-...

It’s item number 290226478258 in case the link does no work.

It’s my wife’s auction, and as it says in the listing, she found it in
some change and it looks like it does not have the cladding on it.
The weight was 5.7 grams, which I think is a regular quarter. *So if
the weight is right, what could have been done to this quarter to make
it all copper like this?

TIA,
David

Good theories by the others. Let me throw this little tid-bit out.
For some reason, early 2000 SQs (MD primarily) seemed to have a
tendency to tone to a copper color. I had two MD quarters in my pants
pocket and washed the pants, not realizing the quarters were still
there. After the washing and drying, the quarters had copper-colored
toning, albeit not as strong as yours. I believe the general
consensus was a slight variation in the planchet composition which,
when subjected to the heat of the dryer, caused the discoloration.
Just a thought.

Jerry
Old May 1st 08, 01:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On May 1, 12:47 am, Jerry Dennis wrote:
On Apr 30, 9:48 am, wrote:

[...]

I kind of thought the same thing. Maybe it was in a jar with some
rusty nails, or something like that. But the color just looked too
complete and it does not seem to rub off. Anyway, thanks for the
possible cause.
Old May 2nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 30, 9:48 am, wrote:

[...]

Even if I was an error coin collector, which I am not, I would shy
away
from this auction due to its overly expensive shipping and handling
costs.
I have received silver half dollars in the mail which a single 41-cent
stamp
was sufficient for postage. Charging over $8 is simply ridiculous.

Les
http://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/
Old May 2nd 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Apr 30, 9:48 am, wrote:

[...]

Leshttp://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/- Hide quoted text -

Please read the auction - The shipping is what it cost, no extra for
packing or handling.
It's being shipped Priority Mail, Insured, with signature required
upon delivery.
Like I said in my original post, it's my wife action. She has sold
many, many things on ebay and has eaten many shipping expenses as the
costs of shipping rises.

I'm sure if is sells for 1.99, different shipping methods can be used.