FA: 1831 Bust Half PCGS AU-58

Old June 10th 08, 09:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

Default FA: 1831 Bust Half PCGS AU-58

On Jun 10, 3:50*pm, Ira wrote:
On Jun 10, 2:30*pm, Jeff wrote:

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:08:18 -0700 (PDT)

RF wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:41*am, Jeff wrote:

MS60 is closer to MS63 than to AU58 *numerically*, but not visually,
which is what grading is really all about.

Eye appeal is most definitely NOT "what grading is really all about".
It may be a factor but certainly not the whole thing.
Were that the case AU coins would cost more than BU coins.

First, by selecting a single paragraph from my post, you have ignored
my main argument, which is that an AU58 coin is VISUALLY closer to MS63
than it is to an MS60. *The "whisper away" that Ira mentioned refers to
the VISUAL characteristics of the coin, not to its monetary value.
(Ira, please let me know if I'm wrong about this.)

Now, regarding the paragraph that you selected...

Grade is only one component of dollar value. *(PCGS identifies three:
Grade, Rarity, and Importance).

Grading may not be ALL about visuals, but it is certainly MOSTLY about
visuals. *It is true that most MS60 coins are worth more money than
their AU58 counterparts, but this is probably due less to their GRADE,
and more to the relative RARITY of any uncirculated coin. *That is to
say that there are always some people who will pay more for ANY
uncirculated coin (even one with low eye appleal) than for a near
visually perfect just barely circulated coin, JUST BECAUSE UNCIRCULATED
COINS ARE MORE RARE THAN CIRCULATED COINS. *These are people who "buy
the slab, not the coin.

But, once again, back to the central point of this discussion... *We're
discussing "whisper away", and "whisper away" has EVERYTHING to do with
EYE APPEAL and nothing to do with NUMERICAL grade. *My contention is
still very much that:

An AU58 coin is a whisper away from MS63 more often (probably MUCH more
often) than an AU58 coin is a whisper away from an MS60.

RF, Do you agree with this point?

Jeff, thanks for your support in his AU-58 thread. Nowhere to I imply,
either directly or indirectly, than the coin I have offered for sale
here as listed on eBay is worth MS-63 money. I pay $2100-$2250 for
solid MS-63 halves in PCGS holders IF they have better than average
eye appeal. As far as this AU-58 goes, I paid $760 and am offering for
sale at $929 on eBay. What with listing fees, Pay Pal fees, and eBay
selling fees, my selling costs when it sells will be about 10% or $90+
dollars. Therefore, I'll net about $75 or 10%.

This is not exactly what any reasonable person would consider an
outrageous profit, notwithstanding the vitriolic comments of our two
resident Bobsy twins, (or Hardy boys), Olson and Finnan.

Your references in your earlier post give several decent sources of
the description of AU-58s, and as James has written, in the actual
marketplace, they often sell for above MS-60 or MS-61 pieces. Why? You
already know the answer. They have more eye-appeal, a definite factor
in a coin's desirability and indeed its market value.

Just as MS-63, MS-64s and MS-65s are not all equal in appearance to
others of the same grade, not all AU-58s are equal in appearance
either. Some are low end, others average for the grade, and others
high end. Someone earlier wrote that NGC might grade this one MS-60 or
MS-61. That's also true, but PCGS would not. For what its worth, on
the CCE, the sight-unseen certified coin exchange, Legend Numismatics
has advertised that they will buy ANY PCGS only AU-58 bust have for
$650. Remember, that's SIGHT-UNSEEN. My understanding that not many
have been offered at that price level. If one has an average or better
example, why sell it for $650 when one could retail or wholesale it
for above that?

The Graysheet, the dealer wholesale price list, lists AU-50 examples
at $280, but out in the real world, few will sell between dealers at
less than $350 and most sell, dealer to dealer in that grade at about
$375-$400. There's is a world of difference between an AU-58 and and
AU-50.

I'm afraid your reasoned approach and patient explanations will be
lost on Finnan (RF) and Oly. I suspect they don't *have the
capability, either *intellectually or financially, *to deal in the
type of material I sell, so they use any opportunity to denigrate
anything I offer here on RCC. Olson is a bit more reserved, as he has
assets that would be vulnerable should I decide to sue him for
slander, but Finnan doesn't care as my investigation shows he's
apparently bereft *of significant assets that could be depleted
(unless I count his inventory of Hardy Boys books and memorabilia).

If you think you have a case, go ahead and sue, you blowhard.

Old June 10th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

RF wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:41*am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

OTOH you, Ira, have significant assets that can be attached for your
harassing and libelous remarks.
You invite comment by posting on the Usenet, then threaten lawsuits if
anyone doesn't agree with the bilge you pump out.
If you don't want people to comment on your sales practices, don't
make a public issue out of them.
Old June 10th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

RF wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:41 am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

Really? Have I threatened to sue YOU, Finnan? Your comments are often
vulger and harassing, but they don't actually impugn my honesty or
business practices. They are just generally vulgar or infantile or
both. Only one poster had finally gone over the line once that
resulted in my having my attorney draft a summons and complaint
against that poster. I held off when his libelous statements ceased.
That was a while ago.

I wouldn't call your statements libelous. Ignorant, irritating, rude
and crude? Yes, they are all of that. But you see, no one here takes
you seriously, so you are of little concern. I consider you more like
a flea than a scorpion.

I have no problem with people commenting on what coins I describe
here. Some are positive, some neutral and a few are negative. That's
to be expected. This is a Usenet group after all, not a mutual
admiration society.

The discussions my intitial FA post, now over 70 resposnses long and
counting, were quite informative as they related to the definition of
an AU-58 vis a vis an uncirculated grade. Sure, some posters hauled
out the old coin flipper charges, but for the most part, there was, I
think, a net benefit to the newsgroup.

Ira
Old June 10th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

RF wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:41*am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

Ira- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the compliment Ira, but I'm not going to return it. It
takes no special mental or financial ability to do what you do.

oly
Old June 11th 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_4_]

RF wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:41 am, Jeff wrote:

MS60 is closer to MS63 than to AU58 *numerically*, but not visually,
which is what grading is really all about.

Eye appeal is most definitely NOT "what grading is really all about".
It may be a factor but certainly not the whole thing.
Were that the case AU coins would cost more than BU coins.

and in many cases they should.

--
Those who would give up ESSENTIAL LIBERTY to purchase a little TEMPORARY SAFETY, deserve
neither LIBERTY nor SAFETY.

Pennsylvania Assembly
November 11, 1755
Old June 12th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"newsgroup" wrote in message

"George D" wrote in message
RF wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:41 am, Jeff wrote:

MS60 is closer to MS63 than to AU58 *numerically*, but not visually,
which is what grading is really all about.

Eye appeal is most definitely NOT "what grading is really all about".
It may be a factor but certainly not the whole thing.
Were that the case AU coins would cost more than BU coins.

and in many cases they should.

--
Those who would give up ESSENTIAL LIBERTY to purchase a little TEMPORARY

SAFETY, deserve
neither LIBERTY nor SAFETY.

Pennsylvania Assembly
November 11, 1755

To be clear, the last statement needs to be expanded. Not only in "many
cases" they do, but rather this is the perfect definition of "market
grading." An AU58 coin which is much lovelier and more desirable to a
knowledgable and experienced numismatist, sought after by more than one
party because of a shared view of aesthetics and an agreed-on standard of
beauty where high-value coins are concerned, brings more than a
technically
uncirculated ugly identical date, mint mark, variety, with an overall
rarity
the same (not counting the grade), by being called an MS62 by the major
grading services. Pure and simple. If you ask yourself which coin you
would prefer to own, an AU58 example or a Mint State 60 or 61 example, you
would have to be crazy to choose the MS60 or 61 example UNLESS the fact
that
there is no evidence of signs of circulation is more important in your
mind
than the absolute evidence of a stunningly beautiful coin that any
experienced and knowledgable advanced numismatist would prefer and for
which
there will always be a strong market and overwhelming demand independent
of
trends in coin collecting, if ever such a state of affairs ever existed.
Ah, there's the rub. There is no guarantee that classical music will
continue to be appreciated at the same level as it has been in the past
100
years or so as compared to rock and roll. Tastes do change. But the
appreciation of true beauty is something to be admired, cherished, and
nurtured while we continue on this earth. To me, AU58 is Mozart. MS61 is
....me when I played the doombeg with a small group specializing in songs
about guns and trains and Mexico. I stunk. No depth on my part. Wrong
instrument. No sense of rhythm. Never practiced. Never studied. Just
had
a good time. Like so many garage bands in the 50's. Just before I was
fired by the lead guitar/gravel-voiced singer who urged me to practice
with
an electronic metronome. I, of course, was insulted by this slander.
Maybe
comparing Renoir with finger painting would be clearer.
As elitist as all this sounds, I think there is enough truth to describe
the
present situation. If you show your latest acquisition to a friend and
fellow collector, and he or she says, "Oooooooooooooohh. Wow!!
Beautiful!!," you have a friend with no sense of aesthetics or one with
suaves and debonnyer who is jealous as hell and gives you a warm feeling
all
over.
(I deserve to be flamed for what I've written here. But not for what I
intended to say and said poorly.)

Aram, your disquisition was sheer poetry! I couldn't have said it better.

James

Old June 12th 08, 11:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
George D[_4_]

newsgroup wrote:
"George D" wrote in message
RF wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:41 am, Jeff wrote:

[...]

Next time I have a thought I will send it to you first and you can make it clear as you
just did. Thanks

George

Old June 16th 08, 11:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Helen Wallace

"RF" wrote

Ah yes, what would a weekend be without Ira's usual blather and inane
hype about his coins?
Everyone he sells is, of course, undergraded and a bargain at twice
the price.
Pathetic, simply pathetic.

YOU are the one who is pathetic! PLEASE CEASE posting in this newsgroup.

Helen Wallace
R.E. Wallace Stamps and Coins
Fort Worth, Tex.

Old June 16th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 16, 6:31*pm, "Helen Wallace"
wrote:
"RF" wrote

Ah yes, what would a weekend be without Ira's usual blather and inane
hype about his coins?
Everyone he sells is, of course, undergraded and a bargain at twice
the price.
Pathetic, simply pathetic.

YOU are the one who is pathetic! *PLEASE CEASE posting in this newsgroup..

Sorry Frank but I like it here.