Is ANACS out of their minds? AU-50? AU-50??!!

Old March 20th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Is ANACS out of their minds? AU-50? AU-50??!!

http://tinyurl.com/223ruf

Good looking coin but that aint no AU anything.

UGBSM
Old March 20th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

It's seen a fair bit of circulation.

I think that this may be an example of "market grading". Billy

Old March 20th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
scottishmoney

wrote in message
http://tinyurl.com/223ruf

Good looking coin but that aint no AU anything.

UGBSM

It is AU as claimed, I agree, but just the definition is different : Almost
Ugly.

Old March 20th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 20, 2:59*pm, wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/223ruf

Good looking coin but that aint no AU anything.

XF, minimal eye appeal, average strike
Old March 20th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Leo Marx

"Bruce H (BoxTurtle)" wrote:

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 11:59:52 -0700 (PDT),
is alleged to have written:
http://tinyurl.com/223ruf

Good looking coin but that aint no AU anything.

UGBSM

Not an attractive coin from the photos. No luster at all apparent,
which rules out weak strike. XF40.

Bruce (Might get a bodybag from PCGS, the surfaces look wrong somehow)
ANA R162074
EAC 3606

To email me, remember that RoadRunner
and Coyote do not mix.

You will never see luster in a Stacks photo. The system they use
provides diffused light to show detail.

JAM
Old March 21st 08, 02:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Mar 20, 4:52*pm, RF wrote:
On Mar 20, 2:59*pm, wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/223ruf

Good looking coin but that aint no AU anything.

XF, minimal eye appeal, average strike

I really hate it when I agree with RF (Robert Finner) but in this case
I must. As JAM posted here, stack's uses a diffuse illumination system
for their digital photos. I believe it's a translucent dome with
illumination exterior to dome and the DSLR lens aiming downward
towards the coin. Eliminates slab relections but also severly
supresses much of the luster. In hand, the coin MIGHT have trace
amounts of luster, but still no better than EF40 IMHO. ANACS was
liberal with their grade.

Ira
Old March 21st 08, 04:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Mar 21, 10:14*am, Ira wrote:

XF, minimal eye appeal, average strike

I really hate it when I agree with RF but in this case I must.

There, there Ira, that didn't hurt TOO much, did it?
Old March 21st 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Mar 21, 10:14*am, Ira wrote:
On Mar 20, 4:52*pm, RF wrote:

On Mar 20, 2:59*pm, wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/223ruf

Good looking coin but that aint no AU anything.

XF, minimal eye appeal, average strike

I really hate it when I agree with RF (Robert Finner) but in this case
I must. As JAM posted here, stack's uses a diffuse illumination system
for their digital photos. I believe it's a translucent dome with
illumination exterior to dome and the DSLR lens aiming downward
towards the coin. Eliminates slab relections but also severly
supresses much of the luster. In hand, the coin MIGHT have trace
amounts of luster, but still no better than EF40 IMHO. ANACS was
liberal with their grade.

Ira

I wasn't concerned about the luster, the photography has to be just
right to see it realistically for any coin. It was the rather
excessive wear that makes
it XF or VF.

UGBSM
Old March 21st 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"RF" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 2:59 pm, wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/223ruf

Good looking coin but that aint no AU anything.

XF, minimal eye appeal, average strike

I've yet to meet the dealer who would buy this at any level above VF. But
then I've only been doing this for 50 years, so there's still time.

James

Old April 13th 08, 09:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Helen Wallace

EF40 is the correct grade. Of course the bottom 1% of the the barrell tends
to get traded around over and over again for the next sucker.