Keeping a red cent red.

Old August 21st 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
winwin

Default Keeping a red cent red.

I don't see how they can guarantee color. Everyone knows
that "coin doctors" can manipulate color in various ways
to make higher-priced "rainbow" toning, because the
PCGS slabs are at least a little porous, not air tight.
Why let the coin doctors experiment and have PCGS
pay for mistakes?

The chemicals that tone coins are in the air. There
are more of them in moist air than dry air. So you
have basically three options:

1. Dry your air by using dessicants, commerically
available from places like Brent Krueger.
2. Buy Intercept Shield products, or their equivalent.
These products have a protective layer that is designed
to stop contaminants from getting to the coin. I have
some, and they work great.
3. Remove the air by getting a vacuum sealing device.

Old August 21st 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ira

On Aug 20, 6:03*pm, "don't look" don't wrote:
"mazorj" wrote in message

"Ira" wrote in message

NGC has a *color gurantee on copper coins slabbed recently in
holders
which show a dark gray band on all sides of slab. Guarantee is ten
years from date of slabbing. I won't comment on whether the guarantee
is generally honored in the real world. PCGS has a grade and color
guarantee since their inception in 1986. I have used their guarantee
many times over the years and they have always come through. Nuff
said.

Ira

How do they "come through" for you? *Presumably they can't restore the
coin to its original red condition.

I didn't realize PCGS had a color/designation guarantee.I thought it was a
grade guarantee.
I think PCGS guarantee is they will buy the coin at the price of the grade
on the label(if it's regraded lower by them) or they will reimburse the
difference in value between what the label says and what the new designation
is. Correct,Ira?

That is correct. If a Red turns RB, they will either regrade at the
new designation and pay you the difference or buy it out right and pay
you the approx. current market value. Submitted chooses which one
he'll accept. Quite fair I think. PCGS has been badly hurt by the coin
doctors, paying out millions of dollars last year alone. That is just
the tip of the iceberg. Many coins which have "turned" are in safe
delist boxes or safes and the owners have no idea what has happened to
their once red coin. You can be sure. the heirs won't have a clue
either.

Ira
Old August 21st 09, 05:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Ira" wrote in message

[...]

PCGS was set up at the Chicago International Coin Fair this past spring and
had two showcases full of coins they "had" to buy. They represented a
mixture of color changes, coins later discovered to be fakes, and a number
of toolings that the graders had failed to detect. Pretty sobering stuff,
that.

James

Old August 21st 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Ira" wrote in message

[...]

Just running down a detail here, but when they buy it from you at
"current market value" is that at the value of its former red
condition, or the current market value for your now deteriorated
brown?

Old August 22nd 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
don't look

"mazorj" wrote in message

"Ira" wrote in message

[...]

Former condition. Not sure if it includes R/B to Brown too. I imagine so.

keeping pennies red yawnmoth Coins 8 January 5th 09 02:37 AM
Keeping mute from muting [email protected] Juke Boxes 6 March 19th 08 01:14 PM
Keeping Up Appearances Success 7/15/05 Barb Autographs 2 July 16th 05 11:16 PM
Record Keeping ? [email protected] Autographs 5 April 3rd 05 09:05 AM
KEEPING YOUR DOLLS CLEAN E.R. Dolls 0 May 27th 04 02:29 PM