Pen running dry

Old May 5th 04, 05:31 PM
morten

Default Pen running dry

Here's an annoying problem. I hope someone has an easy fix for me.
BTW I'm kicking myself for not finding this group years ago.

My daily workhorse is a perfectly adjusted (luck, not adjusting)
Sheaffer Prelude. Writes like a dream with a nice wet medium line -
for about three pages. Then, the flows starts to dry up, the colour
turns lighter, the nib scratches until about a page later when it
becomes a nail with no ink. At that point I have two choices. Either
let it rest for a day or so, which will bring it back to normal, or
twist the converter FORCING ink to the nib.

What's up with that? Is this normal, is there a fix? None of my
other Sheaffer's do that.

Thanks.

BTW - who's a reputable person to do tine adjustment on an older
Imperial that's become mis-aligned? How much will that cost?
Old May 5th 04, 05:43 PM
BLandolf

morten wrote:
... Either let it rest for a day or so, which will bring it back to
normal, or twist the converter FORCING ink to the nib.

What's up with that? Is this normal, is there a fix? None of my
other Sheaffer's do that.

Not normal but common with some converters. The problem is probably the
converter. The walls of the converter essentially hold the liquid in
place and prevent it from slipping down into the feed. You can test this
theory by plugging a cartridge in the pen and seeing if it does the same
thing. If it doesn't, the problem is the converter. You can attempt
wetting the walls of the converter with a couple drops of liquid
diswashing detergent diluted in a small glass of water. This is a
temporary fix. I'd send it back to Sheaffer and exchange it for new
converter or just order a new converter... this after running the test
with the cartridge.

BTW - who's a reputable person to do tine adjustment on an older
Imperial that's become mis-aligned? How much will that cost?

You can send it out to someone, but learn how to do it yourself. It's
not hard to do and it'll save you lots of $$$. You can buy Frank
Dubiel's repair manual or there may be some references on-line
explaining how to align a nib. --- Bernadette

Old May 6th 04, 12:05 AM
JP

I had the same problem with an Aurora, about 3 pages,
and did the same thing with the piston fill to get it going again.

I sent it back and they replaced the nib, it is definitely a defect.
Knowing nothing I believe that it is a defect in the air return part
of the nib, ink flows out, air can't flow back, a vacuum is created that
stops the ink flow until the pen is "burped" using the piston.
No experience with Scheaffer but my experience with both
Waterman and Aurora has been excellent insofar as service.

Good luck.

JP

m...

Old May 6th 04, 02:36 AM
morten

"BLandolf" wrote in message ...
morten wrote:
[...]

OK, I'll run that test. Will my local FP store be able to get me a
converter, or is that a specialty item?
Old May 6th 04, 02:45 AM
BLandolf

morten wrote:
OK, I'll run that test. Will my local FP store be able to get me a
converter, or is that a specialty item?

Your local fountain pen store should have one on hand. If not, you can
order one from almost any on-line pen dealer. Popping a cartridge in
there is an inexpensive, easy way to rule-out a problem with the
converter.

So, has your pen always written this way or did it develop the problem
over time? --- Bernadette

Old May 6th 04, 02:51 AM
PENMART01

(morten) writes:

OK, I'll run that test. Will my local FP store be able to get me a
converter, or is that a specialty item?

Don't know your local fountain pen store, but all major pen emporiums will have
converters in stock or will obtain same as per request. Converters are very
inexpensive... anytime anyone purchases a new pen they should also purchase an
extra converter or at least have an extra for each brand of pen they have.
Also, some converters are interchangeable.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old May 6th 04, 07:27 PM
morten

"JP" wrote in message .. .
I had the same problem with an Aurora, about 3 pages,
and did the same thing with the piston fill to get it going again.

I sent it back and they replaced the nib, it is definitely a defect.
Knowing nothing I believe that it is a defect in the air return part
of the nib, ink flows out, air can't flow back, a vacuum is created that
stops the ink flow until the pen is "burped" using the piston.
No experience with Scheaffer but my experience with both
Waterman and Aurora has been excellent insofar as service.

Good luck.

JP

Good advice all. I'll try a new converter, then if that fails take
advantage of the White Dot guarantee. Hopefully thaey won't decide to
replace the nib or pen, as the nib on that Prelude is perfect.
Old May 7th 04, 12:51 PM
JP

I will admit that I flushed the pen out thoroughly and repeatedly
with water and with the water and ammonia mix prior to sending it in,
over a dozen times
..
I also omitted that the service department did the same on my first
return sending it back with the problem unresolved. I suppose
that in most cases a simple cleaning does work, that most fp purchasers
are ignorant in basic maintenance.

I came to my own theoretical conclusion after studying "da book" and it's
diagrams. (I also came to the conclusion that I would leave repair
to acknowledged experts and pursue expertise in those areas I was
already involved__but "da book" is fascinating in any case)

JP

"Juan" wrote in message
om...
(morten) wrote in message

om...
"JP" wrote in message

.. .
I had the same problem with an Aurora, about 3 pages,
and did the same thing with the piston fill to get it going again.

I sent it back and they replaced the nib, it is definitely a defect.
Knowing nothing I believe that it is a defect in the air return part
of the nib, ink flows out, air can't flow back, a vacuum is created

that
stops the ink flow until the pen is "burped" using the piston.
No experience with Scheaffer but my experience with both
Waterman and Aurora has been excellent insofar as service.

Good luck.

JP

Good advice all. I'll try a new converter, then if that fails take
advantage of the White Dot guarantee. Hopefully thaey won't decide to
replace the nib or pen, as the nib on that Prelude is perfect.

I had the same problem with 2 sheaffer balance II. Cartridges had the
same problem in my case. After 2 trips to the repair service (with no
success), I solved the problem by flushing the pens well with water
and a few drops of dishwasher. I had done that before sending to
repair, but my pens needed a few flushes more. It seems the feeders
(probably also the converter) had a layer of oil or grease or
anything.

Juan