The New Holy Grail of Red Books

Old May 28th 09, 02:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default The New Holy Grail of Red Books

Just got back from the local Barnes & Noble.

OMG, they've went and done it --- A LARGE PRINT edition for the 2010
Red Book --- complete with spiral binding. Slightly smaller than the
l x w dimensions of a copy of Numismatic News. Suggested retail
$29.95.

Next year a braille edition??? The way some people grade, there is
surely a need!!!

oly

Old May 28th 09, 03:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On May 27, 9:23*pm, oly wrote:
Just got back from the local Barnes & Noble.

OMG, they've went and done it --- A LARGE PRINT edition for the 2010
Red Book --- complete with spiral binding. *Slightly smaller than the
l x w dimensions of a copy of Numismatic News. *Suggested retail
$29.95.

Next year a braille edition??? *The way some people grade, there is
surely a need!!!

oly

Braille manuals for hand guns next?
Old May 28th 09, 03:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

oly wrote:
Just got back from the local Barnes & Noble.

OMG, they've went and done it --- A LARGE PRINT edition for the 2010
Red Book --- complete with spiral binding. Slightly smaller than the
l x w dimensions of a copy of Numismatic News. Suggested retail
$29.95.

Next year a braille edition??? The way some people grade, there is
surely a need!!!

When I grade a coin by feel, if I can feel any relief or lettering at all,
it gets an XF. If it feels hot to the touch, it's MS something, depending
on how long I can hold it.

James the Road Grader

Old May 28th 09, 07:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On May 27, 9:42*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
Just got back from the local Barnes & Noble.

OMG, they've went and done it --- A LARGE PRINT edition for the 2010
Red Book --- complete with spiral binding. *Slightly smaller than the
l x w dimensions of a copy of Numismatic News. *Suggested retail
$29.95.

Next year a braille edition??? *The way some people grade, there is
surely a need!!!

When I grade a coin by feel, if I can feel any relief or lettering at all,
it gets an XF. *If it feels hot to the touch, it's MS something, depending
on how long I can hold it.

James the Road Grader

I went and bought a copy of the 2010 large print edition at lunch time
today. The pictures (and text) are 45% larger and I thought that some
of the photos might be worth the extra outlay. Oh well...

oly
Old May 28th 09, 07:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

oly wrote:
Just got back from the local Barnes & Noble.

OMG, they've went and done it --- A LARGE PRINT edition for the 2010
Red Book --- complete with spiral binding. *Slightly smaller than the
l x w dimensions of a copy of Numismatic News. *Suggested retail
$29.95.

Next year a braille edition??? *The way some people grade, there is
surely a need!!!

When I grade a coin by feel, if I can feel any relief or lettering at all,
it gets an XF. *If it feels hot to the touch, it's MS something, depending
on how long I can hold it.

James the Road Grader

I went and bought a copy of the 2010 large print edition at lunch time
today. *The pictures (and text) are 45% larger and I thought that some
of the photos might be worth the extra outlay. *Oh well...

oly

Oddly enough there was a Braille version of the 1969 Red Book:

http://tinyurl.com/nwxbhy

Unique Braille Edition of the 1969 Red Book on Exhibit

Released on: 7/18/2008

A Merchandiser in 1970 relates a story, Davyd Pepito, a blind 17-year-
old coin collector in California, was in need of a Guide Book of
United States Coins (the "Red Book") in Braille. The nonprofit group
Uncap International took on the challenge and produced a nine-volume
Braille edition of the 1969 Red Book.

This one-of-a-kind Red Book is on exhibit at the Whitman Coin and
Collectibles Atlanta Expo, August 21-23. It appears courtesy of Red
Book collector and professional numismatist Richard Mantia (with the
love of his children, Jessica and Giovanni). Mantia's goal is to
inspire the visually challenged and children everywhere, with hopes
for a positive change in our nation's money.

Gifts to the National Federation of the Blind will be accepted during
the show, with stations set up at the exhibit. By donating to the
National Federation of the Blind, you can help make a significant
difference in the lives of blind people across the country. (The
National Federation of the Blind is a 501(c)(3) organization, and your
gift is tax deductible.) Anyone donating $10 or more at the show will
receive a special limited-edition commemorative elongated coin (while
supplies last), compliments of the Richard Mantia family.

Old May 28th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jeff

On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:31:33 -0700 (PDT)
oly wrote:

On May 27, 9:42Â*pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
oly wrote:
Just got back from the local Barnes & Noble.

OMG, they've went and done it --- A LARGE PRINT edition for the
2010 Red Book --- complete with spiral binding. Â*Slightly smaller
than the l x w dimensions of a copy of Numismatic News.
Â*Suggested retail $29.95.

Next year a braille edition??? Â*The way some people grade, there
is surely a need!!!

When I grade a coin by feel, if I can feel any relief or lettering
at all, it gets an XF. Â*If it feels hot to the touch, it's MS
something, depending on how long I can hold it.

James the Road Grader

I went and bought a copy of the 2010 large print edition at lunch time
today. The pictures (and text) are 45% larger and I thought that some
of the photos might be worth the extra outlay. Oh well...

oly

Since this is 2009, and likely to remain so for many months, I thought
I'd wait until 2010 and buy the 2011, or better yet, the 2012 edition.

jeff

Old May 29th 09, 01:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:31:33 -0700 (PDT), oly wrote:

I went and bought a copy of the 2010 large print edition at lunch time
today. The pictures (and text) are 45% larger and I thought that some
of the photos might be worth the extra outlay. Oh well...

oly

Do the larger photos actually have more detail? That is, do they
appear to be less reduced versions of the original photos? Or are they
just enlarged versions of the photos which are in the regular print
edition, similar to what you would see with a magnifier?

I'm legally blind, but as a rule, I find large print books to be more
trouble than they are worth. I'd rather use a magnifier.
Old May 29th 09, 02:28 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On May 28, 7:45*pm, Jon Purkey wrote:
On Thu, 28 May 2009 11:31:33 -0700 (PDT), oly wrote:
I went and bought a copy of the 2010 large print edition at lunch time
today. *The pictures (and text) are 45% larger and I thought that some
of the photos might be worth the extra outlay. *Oh well...

oly

Do the larger photos actually have more detail? That is, do they
appear to be less reduced versions of the original photos? Or are they
just enlarged versions of the photos which are in the regular print
edition, similar to what you would see with a magnifier?

I'm legally blind, but as a rule, I find large print books to be more
trouble than they are worth. I'd rather use a magnifier.

I don't know exactly how to describe it; I think they are your second
choice - enlarged versions of the photos in the regular print
edition. But I kinda liked the photos in the large print edition, and
they are all in color - which swayed me to buy it.

oly
Old May 29th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

wrote:
I went and bought a copy of the 2010 large print edition at lunch
time today. The pictures (and text) are 45% larger and I thought
that some of the photos might be worth the extra outlay. Oh well...

oly

Do the larger photos actually have more detail? That is, do they
appear to be less reduced versions of the original photos? Or are
they just enlarged versions of the photos which are in the regular
print edition, similar to what you would see with a magnifier?

I'm legally blind, but as a rule, I find large print books to be more
trouble than they are worth. I'd rather use a magnifier.

I don't know exactly how to describe it; I think they are your second
choice - enlarged versions of the photos in the regular print
edition. But I kinda liked the photos in the large print edition, and
they are all in color - which swayed me to buy it.

Unfortunately the colors of the copper coins in the Redbook are of those
owned by very strong hands, never to be made available to copperheads like
me. 8(

James

Old May 29th 09, 12:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:
[...]

James- Hide quoted text -

The photos of the large coppers and the seated silver coins were a
primary reason for buying this special edition. Also, Mr. J. Wright
is probably listed as a special contributor for good reason.

oly