Question for coin collecting hams

Old March 28th 04, 01:18 PM
Ken Knapp

Default Question for coin collecting hams

I know there are some collectors on here that have ham radio licenses. Does
anyone know if there is anyplace on the ham bands where collectors hang out?

Thanks,

Ken
N3GBW

Old March 28th 04, 06:13 PM
K6AZ

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:18:22 -0500, "Ken Knapp" wrote:

I know there are some collectors on here that have ham radio licenses. Does
anyone know if there is anyplace on the ham bands where collectors hang o

There is none that I am aware of, but there are an awful lot of hams who
collect coins. Maybe one of us ought to start a coin net!
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm
Old March 28th 04, 07:03 PM
Cliff

K6AZ wrote:

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 07:18:22 -0500, "Ken Knapp" wrote:

I know there are some collectors on here that have ham radio licenses. Does
anyone know if there is anyplace on the ham bands where collectors hang o

There is none that I am aware of, but there are an awful lot of hams who
collect coins. Maybe one of us ought to start a coin net!
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

I'd have to pass. Since my address physical location are online at
QRZ then I wouldn't want to be talking coins for the whole world to
hear and note what I have. Some things are safe to talk about on the
air, some things are not. Plus, when you factor in all the lids that
will set down on top of your freq kind of like the trolls here, I
doubt it would be a workable venue.
But that's just me,
73's
Cliff

Old March 28th 04, 07:05 PM
Bob Peterson

hey Eric - I read some where that some kind of high speed internet access
threatens some portion of the ham frequencies. Whets the deal?

Old March 28th 04, 08:03 PM
K6AZ

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 13:03:04 -0500, Cliff wrote:

I'd have to pass. Since my address physical location are online at
QRZ then I wouldn't want to be talking coins for the whole world to
hear and note what I have. Some things are safe to talk about on the
air, some things are not. Plus, when you factor in all the lids that
will set down on top of your freq kind of like the trolls here, I
doubt it would be a workable venue.
But that's just me,

I haven't been on HF since the last ice storm took out my antennas.

Hey Cliff, now you are going to have to explain to the non-hams
what a LID is.

Old March 28th 04, 08:43 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
K6AZ wrote:

Hey Cliff, now you are going to have to explain to the non-hams
what a LID is.
--

Really! When I was a lad, a lid was quantity of grass 1" deep in a
baggie. :-D

Scot Kamins
---
***Collecting Euro's (for no apparent reason)***
Old March 28th 04, 09:08 PM
K6AZ

On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 11:43:32 -0800, Scot Kamins wrote:

In article ,
K6AZ wrote:

Hey Cliff, now you are going to have to explain to the non-hams
what a LID is.
--

Really! When I was a lad, a lid was quantity of grass 1" deep in a
baggie. :-D

In ham radio, a LID is much like a troll here. They show up, try to
cause trouble and make general asses of themselves. They can
also be idiots that don't seem to know what they are doing like
having local chit chats on DX frequencies (These are frequencies
that by gentleman's agreement are set aside for long distance
contacts). The term LID is an acronym that stands for License
In Doubt.

Old March 28th 04, 09:32 PM
Crane

Bob Peterson wrote:

hey Eric - I read some where that some kind of high speed internet access
threatens some portion of the ham frequencies. Whets the deal?

.. .

wrote:

I know there are some collectors on here that have ham radio licenses.

Does

anyone know if there is anyplace on the ham bands where collectors hang o

There is none that I am aware of, but there are an awful lot of hams who
collect coins. Maybe one of us ought to start a coin net!
--
K6AZ WEB PAGES

http://www.k6az.com/web_pages.htm

Its called BPL (Broadband Over Powerline) It has been OKed by
the FCC to be trial in several US cities. It uses shortwave frequencies
to transmit data over their power lines. Messes up SW real good and
hams transmitting near BPL can slow or disconnect BPL entirely.
Do a google for BPL or go to arrl.org and do a search.
Old March 28th 04, 09:42 PM
Mark Behrens

"Bob Peterson" wrote in message
hey Eric - I read some where that some kind of high speed internet access
threatens some portion of the ham frequencies. Whets the deal?

Bob,

It is called Broadband over Power Lines, or BPL. BPL uses HF & VHF radio
frequencies pumped over power lines to offer high speed internet access.
Theoretically, it is a closed loop, but any faults in the lines or
resonances may cause the RF to be radiated, thereby causing RF pollution &
interefence to licensed services.

You may want to look at:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/03/24/3/?nc=1

Mark

P.S. Let me know where at net will be. I will try to check in.