The answer to getting halves, $2 bills and $1 coins circulating?

Old January 5th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

Default The answer to getting halves, $2 bills and $1 coins circulating?

wrote in message
On Jan 4, 9:21 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:
wrote in message

I have really been thinking about this, and I also touched the subject
on another thread, but I wanted to create one directed solely on what
most people consider "odd money".

I really think that the way to get halves, $1 coins and $2 bills to
circulate, is to have vending machines upgraded to BOTH accept and
dispense all three denominations. Most people are not willing to go
out of their way, to go to the bank to order or ask for these oddies,
but, if self-checkouts and other vending machines dispensed these
three denominations, I believe that they would all circulate.

Here's where the proposal for a $2 coin might get more attention than one
for a redesigned $2 bill.

I understand this, but what I was reffering to, was how self-checkouts
dispense bills as change, so, they could be made to dispense $2 bills
as well, at least, until $2 bills are eliminated for $2 coins. I'm
still not 100% sure if I should suggest a $2 coin as of yet, seeing
as, most people don't even want a $1 coin. I'm wondering how much
longer we should have $2 bills, after the $1 bill goes.
_____________

Now you're questioning your own ideas! Many would say we already no longer
have $2 bills, considering you usually have to make a special effort to
obtain any. But I didn't expect to see YOU doubting a continued need for
them, what with your updated design proposals.

Even if most people especially hate the half dollar, claiming its "too
big and heavy" I'm sure if machines dispensed them, people would use
them, just to get rid of them.

That's not a very good argument for the half dollar. Make them available
because people would use them just to get rid of them. I don't believe at
all that people "hate" the half dollar. At least half of the population
probably too young to have ever seen them circulate. If people started to
receive them routinely in change, they would likely include them among
their
pocket spending change without much thought. Same with dollar coins.

I didn't exactly mean it that way. I just meant that, if you don't
want to carry the havles, you could just spend them. I should have
worded that better. I'm not saying I want to force people to want to
spend them, athough I support vending machines dipensing them, to sort
of force people to at least circulate them, as they choose to spend
them.
_________

It seems many people don't like to carry pennies, so they just don't. Most
don't always consider spending them as a simple solution, unless maybe they
just received a couple in change and are making another purchase for $5.02.
Otherwise, they dump them in a jar when they get home. Likewise, anyone who
happened to receive a couple of half dollars in change but didn't want to
carry them probably would not look for a place to spend them just to use
them. Rather, they simply would not leave home with them the next day. Two
more coins for the change jar.

Quarters seem to be entrenched today as our most handy and useful coin
denomination that people don't mind carrying with them when they leave home
each day. Used to be pennies through halves.

But I'd say that, within a couple
years, a half (and the $1 coin, for that matter), would be treated
just the same as a quarter. People would get used to halves again, and
now, with all of these new vending machines, half dollar circulation
could easily increase if the machines took them.

That's correct. Poeple likely would get used to them, but they don't
actually "need" them to the extent that half dollars should be minted for
general circulation again.

Just because people don't need them too much, doesn't mean some people
won't find a covenience for them.
__________

You're sounding a bit too much like Yogi Berra there.

Old January 5th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

wrote in message

[...]

Well, Daniel Carr did tell me that, he thinks a new $2 coin would be
more likely than a redesigned $2 bill, so I figured, I'm not so sure
if I should push for new $2 bills, because new $2 coins would be a
better solution. However, I'm not sure if they should come out with a
$2 coin right away, because I figure, people might start using $2
bills as a "paper alternative" if the $1 bill is eliminated, then at
least, if the $2 bill eventually goes as well, people will have gotten
used to the idea of a circulating $2 "denomination" and I just had the
feeling that, if the U.S. government just rushes into eliminating the
$1 and $2 bills at the same time, in favor of coins, most people might
just think about a $2 coin as another form of the $2 bill, and not use
it, since they never got a chance to get used to a convenient form of
the $2 denomination, the $2 bill. (Even though $2 coins would be at
least somewhat more convenient than carrying four $1 coins)

[...]

Well hey, at least Coin Star is prepared for if the half circulates
again. They retooled their machines to take halves and $1 coins. I
remembered when they only took pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters.
(Wonder how quick they'd retool for $2 and even $5 coins if they came
out with them)

Quarters seem to be entrenched today as our most handy and useful coin
denomination that people don't mind carrying with them when they leave home
each day. * Used to be pennies through halves.

Maybe if the half started circulating widely again, due to inflation,
the half may displace the quarter, even though it would not replace
the quarter. Halves may take the place of quarters, and quarters may
take the place of dimes (but hey, if this did work out, maybe the dime
would take the place of the nickel, and the nickel would take the
place on the penny, and the penny could just get the boot after this
year is over.

Old January 5th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

wrote in message

On Jan 4, 9:21 am, "Bruce Remick" wrote:

Quarters seem to be entrenched today as our most handy and useful coin
denomination that people don't mind carrying with them when they leave
home
each day. Used to be pennies through halves.

Maybe if the half started circulating widely again, due to inflation,
the half may displace the quarter, even though it would not replace
the quarter. Halves may take the place of quarters, and quarters may
take the place of dimes (but hey, if this did work out, maybe the dime
would take the place of the nickel, and the nickel would take the
place on the penny, and the penny could just get the boot after this
year is over.
_________

I'm not sure. The quarter is handy for items priced at $X.25, .50, or .75,
especially in vending machines, where no change is desired. The half dollar
is limited in this regard. It's not so much the deflated purchasing power
of the half dollar, per se. It's more about the convenience of the 25¢
denomination. I'd use halves if I received them in change, only because I
used to and I kinda liked carrying a hefty coin once in a while. I'll
admit, one half dollar used to buy me lunch or even a cheap dinner, so
there's a nostalgia factor there, too, in my case.

I'd guess that if the penny were to be "retired" after the latest
commemoratives, we would have heard something along those lines by now from
someone who matters.

Old January 5th 09, 12:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RWF

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
I'd guess that if the penny were to be "retired" after the latest
commemoratives, we would have heard something along those lines by now
from someone who matters.

The penny isn't going away anytime soon, IMO.
The public wants it, despite it being nearly worthless.
Another 20 years of inflation will probably do it in though.

Old January 5th 09, 04:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"RWF" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
I'd guess that if the penny were to be "retired" after the latest
commemoratives, we would have heard something along those lines by now
from someone who matters.

The penny isn't going away anytime soon, IMO.
The public wants it, despite it being nearly worthless.
Another 20 years of inflation will probably do it in though.

The buying power of the one cent coin in 1909 is about the same as the
buying power of the 25 cent coin now, the one cent coin should have gone
many years ago. Billy

Old January 5th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

"note.boy" wrote in message

"RWF" wrote in message
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message
I'd guess that if the penny were to be "retired" after the latest
commemoratives, we would have heard something along those lines by now
from someone who matters.

The penny isn't going away anytime soon, IMO.
The public wants it, despite it being nearly worthless.
Another 20 years of inflation will probably do it in though.

The buying power of the one cent coin in 1909 is about the same as the
buying power of the 25 cent coin now, the one cent coin should have gone
many years ago. Billy

That's just about right, according to the current price of a gum ball and
mailing a postcard.

Old January 5th 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Michael Benveniste[_2_]

wrote:

The same thing goes with $1 coins and $2 bills. Get vendors to retool
to accept, AND dispense them, and they will circulate.

Does anyone know how I could write to the vending industry, about
these suggestions? Or where I can find an address?

You can try writing to the National Automatic Merchandising Association.
http://www.vending.org/about/contact.php

But then, according to a press release from that group, they already
do support a shift to the dollar coin:
http://www.vending.org/about/article.php?id=178

The original AJC article referred to is he
http://www.ajc.com/opinion/content/o...ered_1130.html

At the present size and weight, I feel the half dollar is a lost
cause. Even when coins were specie, there wasn't much reason
to carry a half instead of two quarters. Half dollars stopped
circulating soon after the switch to fiat money; whether it was
due to inflation, hoarding of Kennedy halves, or some other
reason I'll leave to the historians.

--
Michael Benveniste -- (Clarification required)
Nid wif yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch ar unrhyw waith ïw

Old January 5th 09, 08:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Duh_Oz

On Jan 4, 3:00*am, wrote:
I really think that the way to get halves, $1 coins and $2 bills to
circulate, is to have vending machines upgraded to BOTH accept and
dispense all three denominations.

===========
Start with the newspaper machines. "Use any denomination except
pennies". Then why don't they take a ^*)%^ half! A 50 cent paper
machine not accepting a half buck, why not? Since they don't give
change a buck coin wouldn't be of much use (except for a Sunday
paper). I do have a street vendor I pay with a 50 cent piece,
assuming I can buy the paper and still make the light.

OZ, still only knowing of two places that accept $2 in the machines
(Home Depot and CTA).

Old January 6th 09, 04:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Allured[_3_]

wrote:

I have really been thinking about this, and I also touched the subject
on another thread, but I wanted to create one directed solely on what
most people consider "odd money".

I really think that the way to get halves, $1 coins and $2 bills to
circulate, is to have vending machines upgraded to BOTH accept and
dispense all three denominations. Most people are not willing to go
out of their way, to go to the bank to order or ask for these oddies,
but, if self-checkouts and other vending machines dispensed these
three denominations, I believe that they would all circulate.

Even if most people especially hate the half dollar, claiming its "too
big and heavy" I'm sure if machines dispensed them, people would use
them, just to get rid of them. But I'd say that, within a couple
years, a half (and the $1 coin, for that matter), would be treated
just the same as a quarter. People would get used to halves again, and
now, with all of these new vending machines, half dollar circulation
could easily increase if the machines took them. Actually though, even
though people say that the general public does not want halves, I get
them a lot from a local 7 Eleven worker, who usually gets halves in
his till from people, quite frequently. So this points out that, they
are obviously still being used, and some people obviously still want
them. And even if the gap between a quarter and a half, and/or a half
and a dollar, is not too big the half could still save the government
money on minting less quarters, if embraced properly. I think there is
a decent ammount of people out there, who find a convenience of
carrying a half over two quarters, especially if they get more change.
If I broke a dollar to buy a 25 cent pack of gum, I'd rather get a
quarter and a half back in change, than I would, three quarters.

The same thing goes with $1 coins and $2 bills. Get vendors to retool
to accept, AND dispense them, and they will circulate.

Does anyone know how I could write to the vending industry, about
these suggestions? Or where I can find an address?

It's bad economic policy to circulate halves and $2 bills. Inflation
has surpassed both of those. The US needs to drop the paper $1 and $2
bills, and the penny and nickel. Just use dimes, quarters, dollar
coins, and $5 coins; and I am no longer sure about the dimes.

Your best chance for sled dogs on circulating money would be to ask
congress to make a quarter series for them.

--Dave
Old January 6th 09, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jan 6, 11:14*am, Dave Allured wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Sled dogs... what's next, Presidential pets over the years?

I have agreed with the National Park series up to now, but I am
beginning
to think twice, if only to conserve space on my Whitman bookshelf.
--
Les
http://life-of-coins.blogspot.com/