A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Juke Boxes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Rockola 454/456

Old October 5th 11, 10:13 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Dec 2010
Default Rockola 454/456

Hello, I recently acquired a couple of Rock-ola jukeboxes for $75. I got the 456 Deluxe Console to basically work by removing the two motors and manually freeing up the stuck mechanisms, and motors with lubricants. Everything seems to be in working order except the Scan Motor never stops scanning. I can make a selection; it finds the record; pulls it and plays it; finishes; puts back in place and scan continues even though another selection has not been made. I have a number of Wurlitzers (6), and a Rowe R-90 jukebox; but these are my first Rockolas. I have recently ordered the Parts, Service, and TroubleShooting Manuals but thought I would inquire helpful hints from this web site. Any advise or suggestions would be helpful for an impatient old guy like me. Thanks, Bob (S. Ca.)
Ads
Old October 6th 11, 02:00 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Raney View Post
Hello, I recently acquired a couple of Rock-ola jukeboxes for $75. I got the 456 Deluxe Console to basically work by removing the two motors and manually freeing up the stuck mechanisms, and motors with lubricants. Everything seems to be in working order except the Scan Motor never stops scanning. I can make a selection; it finds the record; pulls it and plays it; finishes; puts back in place and scan continues even though another selection has not been made. I have a number of Wurlitzers (6), and a Rowe R-90 jukebox; but these are my first Rockolas. I have recently ordered the Parts, Service, and TroubleShooting Manuals but thought I would inquire helpful hints from this web site. Any advise or suggestions would be helpful for an impatient old guy like me. Thanks, Bob (S. Ca.)
Hi Bob

On the 456 machine, I think you'll find that the scanning motor is ultimately controlled by the play relay (on the PSU). This relay is controlled by 2 things

The wobble plate switch (micro switch on the top on the pin bank, with a small solenoid attached).

And the homing wiper, this is a track with a wiping contact that is on the far right of the pin bank (i think its the outside track) there is a gap in this track at the magazine home position). This wiped connection is in parallel with the wobble plate switch, and both in series with the play relay.

The basic mode of operation is that while any selection pin is in the play position the wobble plate switch is closed. Once the machine has finished playing the last selection and reset the pin, this switch will open.

Continuity for the play relay will be maintained via the homing wiper, the magazine will continue to the home position where the homing wiper will then open, the play relay will drop out removing power to the mag motor. Hence stopping further rotation.

Check the wobble plate switch for correct operation. And also check the play relay.

On my 474 machine I had exactly this problem, it was caused by the relay's armature actually sticking, even when the solenoid relaxed.

Hope this helps

Pete
Old October 9th 11, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0pkh View Post
Hi Bob

On the 456 machine, I think you'll find that the scanning motor is ultimately controlled by the play relay (on the PSU). This relay is controlled by 2 things

The wobble plate switch (micro switch on the top on the pin bank, with a small solenoid attached).

And the homing wiper, this is a track with a wiping contact that is on the far right of the pin bank (i think its the outside track) there is a gap in this track at the magazine home position). This wiped connection is in parallel with the wobble plate switch, and both in series with the play relay.

The basic mode of operation is that while any selection pin is in the play position the wobble plate switch is closed. Once the machine has finished playing the last selection and reset the pin, this switch will open.

Continuity for the play relay will be maintained via the homing wiper, the magazine will continue to the home position where the homing wiper will then open, the play relay will drop out removing power to the mag motor. Hence stopping further rotation.

Check the wobble plate switch for correct operation. And also check the play relay.

On my 474 machine I had exactly this problem, it was caused by the relay's armature actually sticking, even when the solenoid relaxed.

Hope this helps

Pete
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the info. I received the various manuals and no where does it discuss this info or at least not to where I can understand. The trouble shooting manual has lots of info, but your info seems dead on to my problem. Thank you very much. Bob
Old October 10th 11, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Hi Bob

Hope this helps

Pete
Pete,
I owe you a Steak dinner. This was the entire problem. The wobble plate switch was stuck in the closed position and couldn't open no mater what. By manually opening this switch while it was scanning; it "stopped" exactly where you said it would. Thank you ever so much. I've been spending hours tracting wires and looking for a short and something as simple as this. Wow, Thanks Bob
Old October 11th 11, 09:31 AM

Smile

Quote:
Pete,
I owe you a Steak dinner. This was the entire problem. The wobble plate switch was stuck in the closed position and couldn't open no mater what. By manually opening this switch while it was scanning; it "stopped" exactly where you said it would. Thank you ever so much. I've been spending hours tracting wires and looking for a short and something as simple as this. Wow, Thanks Bob
Great news Bob.

How's that from me, A complete newbie to the world of jukeboxes.
I have only ever restored one.

I am fascinated by them however, and studied the service manual for a very long time after I got it working, just to try to completely familiarise myself with its operation. Sad I know, but enjoyable.

Your 456 machine uses essentially the same mech as my 474, so the circuit arrangements had to be similar

Glad I could help.

Enjoy.

Pete

Last edited by g0pkh : October 11th 11 at 09:34 AM.
Old October 12th 11, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Great news Bob.

How's that from me, A complete newbie to the world of jukeboxes.
I have only ever restored one.

I am fascinated by them however, and studied the service manual for a very long time after I got it working, just to try to completely familiarise myself with its operation. Sad I know, but enjoyable.

Your 456 machine uses essentially the same mech as my 474, so the circuit arrangements had to be similar

Glad I could help.

Enjoy.

Pete
Hi Pete,
I fully understand your fascination with jukeboxes. I started collecting many years ago for a fun hobby. Now at 64 and forced into early retirement; find more ways to get into trouble. And with the Los Angeles Craigslist.org listing all kinds of jukeboxes for sale cheap ($50 to $75); how can someone not buy these to play with. They give me many hours of endless info researching, and fun figuring out what's wrong with them. My wife says I've turned into a jukebox junkie! Just found another Rockola 454 for $50. Thanks for your past help. Bob
Old October 13th 11, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Hi Pete,
I fully understand your fascination with jukeboxes. I started collecting many years ago for a fun hobby. Now at 64 and forced into early retirement; find more ways to get into trouble. And with the Los Angeles Craigslist.org listing all kinds of jukeboxes for sale cheap ($50 to $75); how can someone not buy these to play with. They give me many hours of endless info researching, and fun figuring out what's wrong with them. My wife says I've turned into a jukebox junkie! Just found another Rockola 454 for $50. Thanks for your past help. Bob
Hi Bob

A 454 for $50? Crikey they seem far more plentiful in the States than they are over here in the UK.

I am afraid for me, that I am limited to a maximum of two I think. One restored in the conservatory and one being restored in the garage. Still looking for the second.

All the best

Pete