Seeburg C red cartridge help needed

Old October 26th 05, 04:01 AM
rmoody1695 rmoody1695 is offline
Junior Member

Default Seeburg C red cartridge help needed

I recently purchased a Seeburg C with the red cartridge. I want to change the needles because I don't know if I have a mono or stereo needle. All my records are stereo and I don't know if I should just put a .7 mil needle in my cartridge or if I should try buying a new cartridge. What will give me good quality sound out of this machine?
Old October 26th 05, 01:41 PM
Ken G.

You are going to be told about some O3D or some thing like that 300$
cartridge by some people and its a WASTE of money .
I put a Pickering aluminum gold colored cased cartidge in my Seeburg G
and it sounds 5 times better than that O3D thing . It has no model # on
it . I have seen them in black aluminum also and they go cheap . Mine
plays all records just fine

Old October 26th 05, 06:15 PM
Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic

Well Ken, you're of course welcome to your own opinion, but I've found that
the Pickering 345-03D was an excellent replacement in terms of sound quality.
Of course, I paid $50 or less for the ones that I bought. Would I pay $300
for one today? Probably not, but not because of the sound quality.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old October 26th 05, 09:26 PM

Good answer, Joseph (Tony). I feel the same way, from what I've heard
about the O3d. Not being as skilled in electronics/sound issues as
others out there, I must beg the question, though, The original post
was referring to a Seeburg C, and the follow-up reply was referring to
a Seeburg G. Is there an issue (electronics-wise) with the difference
between a C, and a "high-fidelity" G amp? I don't know....I only pose
the question for those of us who are (otherwise) electronics
illiterate. Rob

Old October 26th 05, 11:25 PM
Ken G.

Many people do think the 03D sounds good because they have not heard the
better ones .

Old October 27th 05, 02:50 AM
Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic

Maybe they do, Ken. I've been involved with Seeburg jukes for some twenty-odd
years now, and have seen just about every cartridge made for and used on these
machines. I also have a degree in EE, I worked as an assistant chief engineer
at a radio station, and even did a stint as a disk jockey. I think I'm
vaguely qualified to judge jukebox sound quality.

Tony

Old October 27th 05, 05:46 AM
Ken G.

I have no doubt you are very good at what you do . I have been a repair
tech of old and new electronics for 30 years and lived through the heavy
stereo years of the 70`s and lots of record players , speakers and sound
quality but that certainly does not make me an expert .
I only got started in jukeboxes the last 10 or so years and have
restored several and helped restore some and repaired a few on request
from random owners .

I received a Seeburg G and restored it with its original red cartridge
which sounded crappy .
I then went to a juke guy near here who has a Seeburg C and borrowed one
of his brand new O3D cartridges at the same time picked up my used gold
Pickering cartridge and new needles at a local vending outfit .
I came home and tried both in my G . The O3D sounded very clear and all
but lacked in volume and bass so i tried the gold one and the machine
never sounded better , super crisp hi`s and deep bass with tons of
volume .
I heard his Seeburg C while i was there with his O3D in it and it
sounded real nice but not as good of bass as my G .
The G has a tweeter The C does not so we wont compare hi`s .. not fare .

The construction of this gold cartridge explains it all . Before i put
it to perminent use i took it apart to clean and restore it . The needle
on this is set up directly on the armature inside the cartridges coils .
The O3D and red head use magnetic transfer between the needle structure
and the coils inside , this creates a loss .

He told me the input resistors had to be changed in his C to compensate
for that O3D cartridge . The main purpose for the O3D is its very gentle
on records because of its fine needle arm and light tracking force
otherwise its just another cartridge that gained a ridiculous price for
reasons unknown other than over rated word of mouth and the fact they
are getting hard to find .
There were also vintage standard double sided phono cartridges that were
being adapted to a Seeburg tone arm plug that had a rating very close to
the O3D but not as `pretty` .
One of his G mechs had one of those on it that he had me work on so
while it was here i tried that adapted cartrige in my G out of curiosity
and it sounded just like an O3D .
I know the only way to show some people would be to stand them in front
of a jukebox and try each cartridge in it so they could hear for
themselves .

The moral of the story is .. The O3D sounds clear and with a resistor
change it will sound louder . Is it worth 300$ .. NO

Old October 30th 05, 03:35 AM
rmoody1695 rmoody1695 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoody1695
I recently purchased a Seeburg C with the red cartridge. I want to change the needles because I don't know if I have a mono or stereo needle. All my records are stereo and I don't know if I should just put a .7 mil needle in my cartridge or if I should try buying a new cartridge. What will give me good quality sound out of this machine?

I appreciate your input guys but I don't know if I am any better off than when I started. I seemed to have started a feud of sorts. You have to understand that I am dumb as a rock when it comes to these cartridges. I know absolutely nothing of their history or upgrades. I just know the one on my machine is red. Is there a better cartridge available other than the OD3 that will sound decent of should I keep my red cartridge and just put new needles in it. I don't know what makes the red any better or any worse than other cartridges. Your help is greatly needed because I don't have a clue as to what I should do at this point. Thanks for your help guys!!!
Old October 31st 05, 06:06 PM
Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic

I don't think it's so much of a feud as a point of view. Ken feels the
345-03D is WAY over-priced, and I actually agree with him on that point. When
they were in the $50-75 range they were the best alternative to the original
red head cartridges. There ARE some older-manufacture cartridges out there
that were also a good alternative in their days, but since they're no longer
made, it's hard to suggest any of them. If you happen to have a local music
operator in your area, and they happen to have some old Seeburg-style
cartridges they'll sell cheap, you might find something you'd like.

Your best bet is to replace the needles and keep the existing cartridge,
unless you want to spend $300 for an 03D.

Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

Old November 6th 05, 06:53 AM
Class A Triodes

wrote in message
ups.com...

Inboomer scribbled;

Good answer, Joseph (Tony). I feel the same way, from what I've heard
about the O3d. Not being as skilled in electronics/sound issues as
others out there, I must beg the question, though, The original post
was referring to a Seeburg C, and the follow-up reply was referring to
a Seeburg G. Is there an issue (electronics-wise) with the difference
between a C, and a "high-fidelity" G amp?... snip.... The ''G'' Amp has

the ultra-linear
screen taps on the output transformer primary which reduce distortion...

look up
''David Hafler'' for more info..snip.....I don't know....I only pose