Duplicate storage - a query to the group

Old July 11th 03, 08:04 PM
Don Hearl

Default Duplicate storage - a query to the group

I have a question for this fine forum!

How do you sort and maintain your stock of duplicates? Any details
would be greatly appreciated, as I try to devise an efficient method
for handling my worldwide duplicates (pre 1940). I'm looking at
stockbooks and glassines.

Thanks in advance,

Don Hearl

APS# 159887
Old July 11th 03, 08:41 PM
A.M.Heindorff

Don Hearl wrote in message
om...
I have a question for this fine forum!

How do you sort and maintain your stock of duplicates? Any details
would be greatly appreciated, as I try to devise an efficient method
for handling my worldwide duplicates (pre 1940). I'm looking at
stockbooks and glassines.

Like my dealer does: in stockbooks sorted by country and
then chronologically by year, with note of cat.numbers. I
don't have duplicates from this period by the hundreds, so
this method works fine for me ;-)
--
Ann Mette Heindorff
amhstamps (at) adr dot dk

Old July 11th 03, 09:08 PM
Zdenek Jizba

Don Hearl wrote:

I have a question for this fine forum!

How do you sort and maintain your stock of duplicates? Any details
would be greatly appreciated, as I try to devise an efficient method
for handling my worldwide duplicates (pre 1940). I'm looking at
stockbooks and glassines.

Thanks in advance,

Don Hearl

APS# 159887

I have a three level system. Up to five of the better copies go
into stockbooks. Duplicates in excess go into glassines (#2) in
cigar boxes, by country and by age. It is from these that I
take copies for trade. Finally duplicates in excess of 50 are
bundled and stored in boxes.

Old July 11th 03, 09:46 PM
Frank Emanuel

"Don Hearl" wrote in message
om...
I have a question for this fine forum!

How do you sort and maintain your stock of duplicates? Any details
would be greatly appreciated, as I try to devise an efficient method
for handling my worldwide duplicates (pre 1940). I'm looking at
stockbooks and glassines.

Hey Don,

I use boxes of 102 cards (the ones with the plastic on one side and a place
to write the details). I mostly use the boxes they come in, but have one
long red box as well. I do this for countries I seriously collect, like
Canada which is in 1.5 of these boxes. Stamps I have bazillions of get
thrown into a shoebox to be made into assortments for auction time. These
boxes of cards are very easy to carry around and keep sorted. One thing I do
though is tell people not to take the cards, I am not a dealer and they get
quite expensive. I keep old glassys for that.

Frank

Old July 12th 03, 02:55 AM
Frank Emanuel

"Eric Bustad" wrote in message
I use boxes of 102 cards (the ones with the plastic on one side and a

place
to write the details). I mostly use the boxes they come in, but have one
long red box as well. I do this for countries I seriously collect, like
Canada which is in 1.5 of these boxes. Stamps I have bazillions of get
thrown into a shoebox to be made into assortments for auction time.

These
boxes of cards are very easy to carry around and keep sorted. One thing

I do
though is tell people not to take the cards, I am not a dealer and they

get
quite expensive. I keep old glassys for that.

A ditto on this one. It seems that these cards cost about the same as
glassines. They don't hold quite as much, but generally I don't have
enough of any one stamp for that to be a problem. I can note the
country and catalog numbers at the top so that a particular stamp can be
easier found. Also easier for others to search through for stamps that
they want.

Not to mention that I usually only have to carry one such box to club,
usually something I know one person is looking for (say Germany), usually if
the box is lying around a few will poke through it and usually I can some of
my purchases that night. I like to keep tabs on how much I spend so I just
usually spend that + whatever I sell ;-) Is that a sign of an addiction?

Frank

Old July 12th 03, 05:06 AM
Tracy Barber

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:55:39 -0400, "Frank Emanuel"
wrote:

[...]

"Controlled" addiction... :^P

Tracy Barber
Old July 15th 03, 03:31 AM
Don Hearl

Dear Group!

I appreciate all of these responses! I have been collecting in #4
glassines for a number of years. Based on your methods, I've decided
to incorporate 104a collection cards, for trading and club activites.
They will easily fit into my system.

Regards,

Don