Anyone detecting in SC?

Old July 15th 04, 08:40 AM
kds

Default Anyone detecting in SC?

My husband wants to buy me a metal-detector for my birthday (hey- how
many women can say that!). We are in SC and frequently watch the
local show "Treasure Hunters'. What we want to know is: How do I
know if I'm on somebody's property, and if perchance I am, is whatever
I find that persons property or mine?

There are alot of wide-open spaces here with houses here and there-
some people own lots of acreage- so the land between houses could very
well belong to a person who lives 2 or 3 acres away. Am I supposed to
go to the nearest house and ask whose land it is? As a Californian
transplanted in SC, this is all new to me, as it's pretty clear who
owns what in California.

thanks,

Karen
Old July 15th 04, 09:00 AM
- RS in WA -

kds wrote:
How do I
know if I'm on somebody's property, and if perchance I am, is whatever
I find that persons property or mine?

"If perchance I am..." (on somebody else's property) - would argue for
obtaining permission to hunt, with concomitant agreement ahead of time
concerning anything one might find. This approach is less likely to
result in trouble in a worst-case scenario. Besides, the right thing to
do is always the wise thing to do.

There are alot of wide-open spaces here with houses here and there-
some people own lots of acreage- so the land between houses could very
well belong to a person who lives 2 or 3 acres away. Am I supposed to
go to the nearest house and ask whose land it is?

Seems the most straightforward way to obtain permission. Besides, you
never know whether the property owner might not be able to steer you to
some good spots you wouldn't find on your own. Personally, I'd rather
have him on my side than to stumble into an adversarial relationship as
a trespasser. Wouldn't you?

Best of success!

RS

--
Please Support Our Troops Overseas!
Visit:

Old July 15th 04, 03:57 PM
Chris

can you record me the local show in s.c. "Treasure Hunters'
i can pay you for your service's.. i live in florida

Old July 15th 04, 04:30 PM
Alan Balmer

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 07:40:37 GMT, kds wrote:

My husband wants to buy me a metal-detector for my birthday (hey- how
many women can say that!). We are in SC and frequently watch the
local show "Treasure Hunters'. What we want to know is: How do I
know if I'm on somebody's property,

If you don't know, it's your responsibility to find out.

and if perchance I am, is whatever
I find that persons property or mine?

His, unless you have a prior agreement to the contrary. If I "find"
your car in your driveway, would it be mine?

There are alot of wide-open spaces here with houses here and there-
some people own lots of acreage- so the land between houses could very
well belong to a person who lives 2 or 3 acres away. Am I supposed to
go to the nearest house and ask whose land it is?

Whoever it belongs to, you know it doesn't belong to you. Yes, you
need to ask. If you can't find anyone else to ask, your local
assessor's office can tell you who owns the property.

As a Californian
transplanted in SC, this is all new to me, as it's pretty clear who
owns what in California.

In the city, perhaps. There are huge ranches in California, as well as
a lot of government-owned land. It's not always obvious who owns what.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

Old July 16th 04, 08:09 AM
kds

I guess I should have asked, "How does everyone here determine who
owns the property they are hunting on? Do you normally go to the
assessor's office or just knock on doors?"

KS

Old July 16th 04, 08:26 AM
kds

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 10:57:20 -0400, Chris wrote:

can you record me the local show in s.c. "Treasure Hunters'
i can pay you for your service's.. i live in florida

I don't know if I can- I have one of those DVR's so I can record it
for myself and watch later, but I can't copy it. I'll see if I can
get the old VCR working- I haven't used it in a long time. Will let
you know.

KS
Old July 16th 04, 08:43 AM
TomsTreasures

Its a combination of both actually, if the neighbors dont know who the owner
is then the assessors office is the best bet.

Tom

--
http://www.tomstreasures.com