Turkey launches nationwide campaign for new currency

Old September 25th 04, 10:04 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Dik T. Winter wrote:

The current policy is that the euro will be adopted (so, no new Danmark,
Sweden or UK), but a time-frame is lacking.

Basically right, except that Sweden legally did not have the option to
stay but simply chose to not meet the conditions ;-) Theoretically that
may happen in the case of some of the new member states as well, but it
is less likely.

The only new country for which I read about a definite year was Malta,
where the intended year of 2005 was changed to 2006.

Well, the time frame largely depends on the economic development in
those countries. But the currencies of Denmark, Estonia, Lithuania and
Slovenia are members of the Exchange Rate Mechanism (ERM-2) along with
the euro, with the Danish krone being more closely tied to the euro
(2.25 percent fluctuation band, I think) than the kroon, the litas and
the tolar (15 percent) ...

Christian
Old September 27th 04, 07:48 PM
gogu

? "Jorg Lueke" ?????? ??? ??????
news
On 24 Sep 2004 07:11:48 -0700, John Stone wrote:

http://servihoo.com/channels/kinews/...&CategoryID=47

What's the current prognosis for Turkey joining the EU economic union

Not so brilliant.
Although USofA is trying hardly to make it happen ;-)

Please have a look:
--------------
PARIS, France (Reuters) -- Turkey will not join the European Union for
at least 15 years and could only do so once France had held a
referendum on the issue, French Finance Minister Nicolas Sarkozy said
on Sunday.

"The membership of Turkey, in the best of cases, will not happen for
15 years," he told LCI television. "A decision as important as the
membership of Turkey in Europe could only be taken after there had
been a referendum in France."

Sarkozy, who plans to quit the Finance Ministry in November to lead
France's ruling conservative party, said he had reservations about
Turkey joining the 25-member bloc.

He was sceptical about the idea "not because it is a Muslim country
but because Turkey alone represents the membership of the 10 countries
(mainly) from eastern Europe," he said, referring to the countries
that joined the bloc this year.

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Raffarin said Turkey had made progress in adjusting its laws and
institutions to EU standards under Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan, but
queried the overwhelmingly Muslim but secular state's ability to stay
the course.

Turkey cleared a hurdle on its path towards EU membership on Sunday
when its parliament approved a new penal code which will boost women's
rights and punish police more severely for torture.

The European Commission is due to present an assessment on Oct. 6 of
whether Turkey has met the political and economic criteria which would
enable it to start negotiations.
-------------------

and
adopting the Euro?

(EMU).
Impossible for the next 25 years or even more!

--
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Old September 28th 04, 12:31 AM
Padraic Brown

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:48:28 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Hah! France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries! They ought to get along with Turkish membership
like a house afire!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old September 28th 04, 05:24 AM
Jorg Lueke

wrote:

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Hah! France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries! They ought to get along with Turkish membership
like a house afire!

Padraic.

I think it would be wonderful if Turkey were to eventually join. The EU
would certainly have a moderating influence on the more egregious Turkish
policies and help stabilize a secular Islamic state. Over time, perhaps,
we could even see a Mediterranean addendum to the EU with peaceful,
democratic, stable Islamic and Christian countries joined together.
Old September 28th 04, 12:46 PM
Serenus Zeitblom

wrote:

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Hah! France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries! They ought to get along with Turkish membership
like a house afire!

Padraic.

I think it would be wonderful if Turkey were to eventually join. The EU
would certainly have a moderating influence on the more egregious Turkish
policies and help stabilize a secular Islamic state. Over time, perhaps,
we could even see a Mediterranean addendum to the EU with peaceful,
democratic, stable Islamic and Christian countries joined together.

I'm an optimist. I think that one day, all men will be brothers.
Then we can decide what to do about the French.
Old September 28th 04, 12:50 PM
John Stone

wrote:

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Hah! France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries! They ought to get along with Turkish membership
like a house afire!

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

I'm sure the National Front will welcome this idea with open arms. (smile face
here).
Old September 28th 04, 05:50 PM
A.E. Gelat

Padraic, I sent to you an email, after deleting the NOSPAM, but it was
returned as undeliverable. What is your real email address?

Tony

news

Old September 28th 04, 09:24 PM
Padraic Brown

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 11:50:12 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Padraic, I sent to you an email, after deleting the NOSPAM, but it was
returned as undeliverable. What is your real email address?

It seems to be correct except for the ".NOSPAM" bit:

elemtilas [at] yahoo [dot] com

And since my newsfeed seems to be acting up, I didn't see this reply
earlier...

Tony

news

wrote:

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Hah! France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries! They ought to get along with Turkish membership
like a house afire!

Padraic.

I think it would be wonderful if Turkey were to eventually join. The EU
would certainly have a moderating influence on the more egregious Turkish
policies and help stabilize a secular Islamic state. Over time, perhaps,
we could even see a Mediterranean addendum to the EU with peaceful,
democratic, stable Islamic and Christian countries joined together.

Indeed - that would be a Good Thing.

Old September 28th 04, 09:41 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Padraic Brown wrote:

France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries!

France has a population of about 58 million, with about five million
muslims. More than in other EU member states (Germany, pop. 82 million,
has 3.2 million Muslims, for example) but still not that many ...

Christian
Old September 28th 04, 09:58 PM
gogu

wrote:

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Hah! France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries! They ought to get along with Turkish membership
like a house afire!

Well, I don't think so...
Frenchies are not so delighted with the situation created in their country,
so I wouldn't bet much on their pro-Turkish vote...
And there is not only France opposing it, most of the other EU countries are
not so favorable.
And if you talk about *people* and *not* governments, well in that case the
overwhelming majority is against that...
And if the Euro-constitution is going to be adopted, then it will be needed
the consensus of the 55% of the countries and the 65% of the population for
something like that to happen.
I say that would be quite difficult for Turkey to achieve.
Well, we will live and see what is going to happen...