Not much posting lately

Old July 14th 03, 11:06 PM
winnard

Default Not much posting lately

I guess we've all been using our 'Penis Enlargement' spam seriously.

I don't need it any bigger, but I would like to train it to mow the lawn.

winnard

Old July 15th 03, 03:00 AM
Daniel & Kathy Gibson

winnard wrote:

I guess we've all been using our 'Penis Enlargement' spam seriously.

I don't need it any bigger, but I would like to train it to mow the lawn.

winnard

I have been out and about in my Amphicar, so my 8-tracking has been a
little curtailed recently. I have been trying out some different carts
at work though, but none of them have really grabbed me.

I am getting a hankering to try recording some CDs to cart again. Has
anyone ever used the Ampex Gold tapes? Any better than TDKs?

Danno
--

Daniel and Kathy Gibson
http://www.katestrackshack.com
Old July 15th 03, 03:10 AM
Larry Blumenfeld

Daniel & Kathy Gibson wrote:

I am getting a hankering to try recording some CDs to cart again. Has
anyone ever used the Ampex Gold tapes? Any better than TDKs?

Danno

No! My experience with _all_ Ampex tapes - 8 track or reel with the possible
exception of 456 (Grand Master) has been negative. Rough, unburnished oxide and
lousy lubrication. The TDKs and Maxells are waaaaay better.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Old July 15th 03, 03:57 AM
Daniel & Kathy Gibson

Larry Blumenfeld wrote:

Daniel & Kathy Gibson wrote:

I am getting a hankering to try recording some CDs to cart again. Has
anyone ever used the Ampex Gold tapes? Any better than TDKs?

Danno

No! My experience with _all_ Ampex tapes - 8 track or reel with the possible
exception of 456 (Grand Master) has been negative. Rough, unburnished oxide and
lousy lubrication. The TDKs and Maxells are waaaaay better.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Thanks Larry. Your word is good enough for me!

Danno

Old July 15th 03, 07:36 PM
littlefoot

Larry Blumenfeld wrote:

Daniel & Kathy Gibson wrote:

I am getting a hankering to try recording some CDs to cart again. Has
anyone ever used the Ampex Gold tapes? Any better than TDKs?

Danno

my experiance the the last runs of the ampex tapes were dissapointing,
especially after time has passed. however, the earlier ampex tapes (391,
AT45, 90, e.t.c) performed very well, even to this day. i prefer to use
those more than any other tape (besides scotch)

No! My experience with _all_ Ampex tapes - 8 track or reel with the
possible exception of 456 (Grand Master) has been negative. Rough,
unburnished oxide and lousy lubrication. The TDKs and Maxells are waaaaay
better.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

if you have a reel of tape branded as "ampex" 456 grand master tape that is
still good & hasent surcummed to the "sticky tape" syndrom, you are very
lucky or you have kept the tape in a cool dry place for all of it's life.
however, that will change once the tape is exposed to humid conditions.
this also applied to ampex 406, 407, & all of the other backcoated tapes
that ampex made during the late 70's up through the eighties. this also
included radio shack concerttape as well. early quantegy (ampex's
predicessor) tapes were also affected.

now, regarding TDK & Maxell 8 track cartridges.
my experiance with those was identically the same, both TDK & maxell must
have used the very same formulation & manufacturing methods for both of
them.
when they were fresh, they did a outstanding job of reproducing & had a
wide dynamic range, however, age was one of the flaws of the tape.
the tapes lubricant dried out too early & binding up was a common problem
for both. i also noticed that the tape would "curl", like the old mylar
tape from the 50's & early 60's era.

--
John
Old July 16th 03, 01:34 PM
CaljamScott

Dear ,

Please action this account of your member for commercial spamming/disruption
of a newsgroup.

Thank you.

--ABUSIVE POST WITH FULL HEADERS--

From: Daniel & Kathy Gibson
Newsgroups: alt.collecting.8-track-tapes
Subject: Not much posting lately

Old July 18th 03, 02:30 AM
trippin2-8track

Still sending it to those "bait" email addresses, we never check ??

too funny...you're so far behind the curve...one day you'll wake up,
and realize your life's work equates to one flush of an old camode, in
reality !

"hey DORE-UH-THY, look, I gotta brain !!"- John Winnard