New edition of Standard Catalog of World Paper Money

Old June 5th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Default New edition of Standard Catalog of World Paper Money

I just received a mailer from Krause advertising the 14th edition of the
Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues.

The flyer claims it now includes a bonus DVD with key word search ability
and image enlargements. If these features actually work as advertised, it
would be a great improvement.

According to Amazon, the new book was published on June 3, 2008. Has anyone
seen the new catalog yet? I'm curious to see if they have addressed the many
known problems with past editions.

BTW, Amazon sells the catalog for $34.65, which means it qualifies for free
Super Saver Shipping. Quite a bit better than Krause's $55 list price, plus
S&H.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...6323/oweninkA/

Old June 5th 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

On 5 Jun, 14:18, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
I just received a mailer from Krause advertising the 14th edition of the
Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues.

The flyer claims it now includes a bonus DVD with key word search ability
and image enlargements. If these features actually work as advertised, it
would be a great improvement.

Hmm, shouldn't it all be on numismaster.com in due course? An annual
subscription should cost less than buying the dead tree books (though
I'm not sure it will) Surely the way forward is continuously updated
online content, rather than dead-dinosaur DVDs.
Old June 5th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

I agree that an online version of the catalog would be desirable, but the
fact remains that print is far more convenience for a portable reference.
Also, don't forget that a huge portion of the collecting community is old
timers with limited or no computer skills.

On 6/5/08 6:26 AM, in article
, "Matthew

Old June 5th 08, 03:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

On 5 Jun, 14:52, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
I agree that an online version of the catalog would be desirable, but the
fact remains that print is far more convenience for a portable reference.
Also, don't forget that a huge portion of the collecting community is old
timers with limited or no computer skills.

well yes, but I don't think they'll be very impressed with the DVD
either....

I'm just surprised they are pursuing such an obsolete technology
angle, when they already have an online platform. It shouldn't form
part of their strategy.

They could make much more money out of their website by selling
valuations as well I would think.
Old June 5th 08, 03:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Matthew Brealey

On 5 Jun, 15:17, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Take a look at Numismaster and you'll see the emphasis is on coins, not
banknotes. What little note info is up there is US notes, not world notes.
Clearly international paper money collectors don't rank very high on
Krause's list of concerns.

I had a one-month all-access subscription there, and they had a thing
saying "new for our all-access members", saying that they had just
added another guide (on coins I think). They gave the impression that
they will continue adding more publications until all of their stuff
is up there. Also they say "Find my Currency, Search Our Online
Database of Paper Money and Bank Notes", which would suggest that they
plan to have more stuff up there eventually.

I'm certainly not holding my breath though.
Old June 5th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Owen W. Linzmayer

Yeah, I took advantage of the trial, too, and was also disappointed by the
lack of world paper money content. It's odd, because they've been
advertising the service in the IBNS Journal, but fail to deliver anything of
interest to world note collectors. Like I said before, based upon its
actions, Krause apparently doesn't think highly of us.

I ordered the new catalog today and look forward to seeing if they've made
any real changes to the content, or just a cursory refresh. If you're
interested, here's my review of the 13th edition, which was published in the
IBNS Journal last year:

http://www.owenink.com/banknotes/SCWPM_review.pdf

Krause certainly had time to see this criticism and address it, if it cared
to. Let's hope that's the case.

On 6/5/08 7:39 AM, in article
, "Matthew

Old June 5th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

On Jun 5, 8:18*am, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
I just received a mailer from Krause advertising the 14th edition of the
Standard Catalog of World Paper Money, Modern Issues.

The flyer claims it now includes a bonus DVD with key word search ability
and image enlargements. If these features actually work as advertised, it
would be a great improvement.

According to Amazon, the new book was published on June 3, 2008. Has anyone
seen the new catalog yet? I'm curious to see if they have addressed the many
known problems with past editions.

BTW, Amazon sells the catalog for $34.65, which means it qualifies for free
Super Saver Shipping. Quite a bit better than Krause's $55 list price, plus
S&H.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/IS...6323/oweninkA/

I plan to get a copy with the DVD, as my most recent edition is a bit
outdated. I go to Books-A-Million since I have membership in their
Millionaire's Club (costs only $15/year). I can get books there
practially as much as the wholesale supply guys. Now, I tried
Numismaster - good site but, being a dealer who sets up at coin shows,
a book or DVD works much better since most places do not have Wi-Fi.
And Owen - sorry to hear that your Banknotenews.com website is having
problems and I hope that it gets fixed soon.
Old June 5th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
Giovanni C. Pettinaro

Hello Matthew and Owen,
I read your thread about Krause Catalog and I think that despite
the many faults of the book, it is still a good reference for World
Paper Money. Nobody nowadays exptects its valuations to be very
accurate, but yet it gives a good overview of all the notes of the many
different Countries in the World. The possibility of having a similar
catalog available as a DB on the net would be wonderful but I suppose
that the great majority of collectors would not take advantage of it.
Most of the community is made of elderly people and they do not feel
that comfortable of interacting with the new technologies. Thus, the
book as of today, it is still the best medium as you can carry it
anywhere and consult it to identify strange notes. What I find sometimes
very annoying with that catalog is when it states that some notes have
different signatures but does not show the different signatures or even
states who signed them. As an example, it is enough that you take
Belgium or even Cayman Islands. It does not say much stating that a note
has signature 15 and 5 if you do not show any table listing them. My
guess is that such tables exist but for some reasons at the time of
editing the data to be placed in the catalog, they "got lost". :-)
Anyway, I still rate it a good catalog, although for determining the
value of a note, you should always rely on a national catalog which is
closer to the market than the old Krause's prices. It would be nice
anyway, if they could show the pictures of the notes in full color.
Nowadays printing in color is not so expensive as it used to be years ago.
Anyway, in case you are interested, the website of my e-store
(http://www.papermoneymarket.com) reports a lot of information about
each Country, including information about exchange rates at the time of
issuing of the notes, currency reforms, etc. I think that people that
shop notes and are note enthusiasts could appreciate these extra
information which in many cases are not reported in Krause. :-)
Well, keep collecting and best regards.

Dr. Giovanni C. Pettinaro
(IBNS LM-166, LANSA 1173).

Pettinaro Bros. World Paper Money Market,

Old June 5th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.paper-money
dorancoins

Matthew Brealey wrote:
On 5 Jun, 15:17, "Owen W. Linzmayer" wrote:
Take a look at Numismaster and you'll see the emphasis is on coins, not
banknotes. What little note info is up there is US notes, not world notes.
Clearly international paper money collectors don't rank very high on
Krause's list of concerns.

I had a one-month all-access subscription there, and they had a thing
saying "new for our all-access members", saying that they had just
added another guide (on coins I think). They gave the impression that
they will continue adding more publications until all of their stuff
is up there. Also they say "Find my Currency, Search Our Online
Database of Paper Money and Bank Notes", which would suggest that they
plan to have more stuff up there eventually.

I'm certainly not holding my breath though.- Hide quoted text -

Dr. Pettinaro, I must concur with you on the Krause catalogs
entirely. While their handy for looking up strange notes, as far as,
for example, signature varieties, more work needs to be done. When I
try to get a value on, for example, a banknote from Australia, I use
the McDonald book on Australian coins and currency. I have found
things in the book that Pick or Krause has either left out or has no
idea of its existence.