Philatelic Investment as a Recent Phenomenon

Old January 5th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Philatelic Investment as a Recent Phenomenon

"Philatelic Investment, the investment of funds in collectible postage
stamps for the purpose of realizing a profit, is a relatively recent
phenomenon. Stamp collecting has long had the reputation of being an
unprofitable hobby for most beginning collectors; nevertheless, investing in
stamps is growing in popularity among more advanced collectors."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philatelic_investment

Any comments?

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old January 5th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

What about the U.S. phenomenon of hoarding panes of mint postage stamps
which began in the mid 1930's? The intent of these hoarders was investment
for retirement or for estate purposes. Unfortunately for those investors,
we get to appreciate discount postage.
--
Bill Lehr
JOBI Philatelic Services

Old January 6th 06, 10:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Victor Manta" writes:

In Australia, Philatelic Investment,was a feature of asseyt inflation in the late 1970s. A chart of stamp prices from 1970 -
1979 shows exponential growth (same for coin collectors). This posed a problem for real collectors - they had to put their collections
into bank vaults (modest collections suddenly became comparatively valuable). The subsequent asset deflation meant investors lost, but
collectors still had the pleasure of their stamps. We are currently seeing an investment bubble, where investors in Australia are able
to place art, stamps, coins in superannuation funds. There is an old saying: "The dogs bark and the caravan passes". At least, genuine
collectors can enjoy collecting, and maybe sell out and start again in a new area (there are numerous valuable collections that have
come to auction over the last 10-15 years for this reason). Plus ca change, plus ces meme choses. Enjoy collecting and, in the long
run, your estate will benefit and you will have had many years pleasure.

Cordially, Phil

"Philatelic Investment, the investment of funds in collectible postage
stamps for the purpose of realizing a profit, is a relatively recent
phenomenon. Stamp collecting has long had the reputation of being an
unprofitable hobby for most beginning collectors; nevertheless, investing in
stamps is growing in popularity among more advanced collectors."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philatelic_investment

Any comments?

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

################################################## #############################
Dr Phil Diamond
Department of Mathematics, University of Queensland, Brisbane,AUSTRALIA 4072.
Tel +61 7 3365 3253 Fax +61 7 3365 1477
Old January 6th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Victor,

The only real stamp investors are stamp dealers. The average dealer sells
just as fast as he can. Oh, there's the occasional dealer like the Wiell's
of New Orleans who's high powered material was designed to impress as much
as to sell. These dealers are not so concerned about stock turnover, but
they're the exception.

Test the theory. A stock broker finds good long term investments to buy for
his own portfolio. So, if you think stamps might be a worthy investment, ask
your favorite stamp dealer some time what he's been socking away for the
last 10 years. Chances are he's putting his money in real estate, or IRA's,
not stamps.

-a

--

Web log: www.ajvalente.com
Email:

Old January 7th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

"Victor Manta" wrote in message
"Philatelic Investment, the investment of funds in collectible postage
stamps for the purpose of realizing a profit, is a relatively recent
phenomenon. Stamp collecting has long had the reputation of being an
unprofitable hobby for most beginning collectors; nevertheless, investing
in stamps is growing in popularity among more advanced collectors."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philatelic_investment

Any comments?

Many thanks to all who commented.

I have the impression that some of you have overseen the quotation marks and
have taken the citation for my own ideas...

I also think (because I know) that "the investment of funds in collectible
postage stamps for the purpose of realizing a profit" is _not_ a recent
phenomenon.

Recent: "of or belonging to the present period or the very near past."
Merriam-Webster.

I have seen with my own eyes accumulations, thought for making profit, that
today would be about 80 years old. This isn't "the very near past" anymore,
and I'm quite sure that I haven't seen the oldest ones.

IMHO, this entry in the Wikipedia should be corrected (Blair, what do you
think?).

I doubt this too: "investing in stamps is growing in popularity among more
advanced collectors" but I have no objective data to justify my doubt.