Feathers

Old August 31st 08, 01:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
John B. Egger[_3_]

Default Feathers

During our summer vacation, I found a couple of beautiful feathers. One
of them is almost certainly a wild turkey's, and the other may be an owl's.

So... how do I go about writing with them? I haven't snipped anything
off the quill end yet, but I did poke an opened-up paper clip into the
open end to clean it out a bit.

--
--John
Registered Linux User #291592
Old August 31st 08, 06:42 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"John B. Egger" writes:

During our summer vacation, I found a couple of beautiful feathers. One
of them is almost certainly a wild turkey's, and the other may be an owl's.

So... how do I go about writing with them? I haven't snipped anything
off the quill end yet, but I did poke an opened-up paper clip into the
open end to clean it out a bit.

Well, besides cleaning them out and making sure that they are nice and
neat, you'll have to do some cutting to make them the right shape. I
have done that, but I can tell you it's no easy task on the first try.
Make sure you have a sharp razor and check out some diagrams and
pictorial instructions. Even after that, it takes some care to use.

Good luck!

Aaron
--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: | WWW: http://www.sacrideo.us
Old August 31st 08, 11:28 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-08-31, Aaron W Hsu wrote:
"John B. Egger" writes:

During our summer vacation, I found a couple of beautiful feathers. One
of them is almost certainly a wild turkey's, and the other may be an owl's.

So... how do I go about writing with them? I haven't snipped anything
off the quill end yet, but I did poke an opened-up paper clip into the
open end to clean it out a bit.

Well, besides cleaning them out and making sure that they are nice and
neat, you'll have to do some cutting to make them the right shape. I
have done that, but I can tell you it's no easy task on the first try.
Make sure you have a sharp razor and check out some diagrams and
pictorial instructions. Even after that, it takes some care to use.

did you temper them too?

Old September 1st 08, 04:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

Matthew writes:

did you temper them too?

For myself I never did temper them. :-) My bad, of course, but I guess
at the time when I was doing them, they wrote well enough without it. I
would temper them again if I managed to get a hold of a decent feather I
liked.

Aaron
Old September 2nd 08, 12:28 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
John B. Egger[_3_]

Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
Matthew writes:

did you temper them too?

For myself I never did temper them. :-) My bad, of course, but I guess
at the time when I was doing them, they wrote well enough without it. I
would temper them again if I managed to get a hold of a decent feather I
liked.

Aaron

How does one temper a feather?

Old September 2nd 08, 01:15 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-09-01, Aaron W Hsu wrote:
Matthew writes:

did you temper them too?

For myself I never did temper them. :-) My bad, of course, but I guess
at the time when I was doing them, they wrote well enough without it. I
would temper them again if I managed to get a hold of a decent feather I
liked.

I've never done it myself, but if I come across a decent
feather. One source might be the tradtional archery crowd,
but I think they may get theirs from slaughter houses...

Personally, I don't see myself hanging outside a turkey farm
for scraps.

matthew

Old September 2nd 08, 01:17 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Matthew[_2_]

On 2008-09-01, John B. Egger wrote:

How does one temper a feather?A

They way I saw in the the youtube video I posted a while back
was with a can of warm sand. Which is actually I good way to
temper all kinds of stuff.

IMS, the quill end of the feather was inserted into a can of
hot sand until the desired result occured.

matthew
Old September 2nd 08, 02:24 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Barutan Seijin

Am 1 Sep 2008, Matthew schrieb:

Personally, I don't see myself hanging outside a turkey farm
for scraps.

There are plenty of wild turkeys around here. Try the UW arboretum if
you're ever in Madison Wisc., and need of a turkey feather.

Old September 2nd 08, 05:51 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
The Drunken Lord[_2_]

Default Peacock Feathers for FPN'ers

On Tue, 02 Sep 2008 00:15:12 +0000, Matthew

On 2008-09-01, Aaron W Hsu wrote:
Matthew writes:

did you temper them too?

For myself I never did temper them. :-) My bad, of course, but I guess
at the time when I was doing them, they wrote well enough without it. I
would temper them again if I managed to get a hold of a decent feather I
liked.

I've never done it myself, but if I come across a decent
feather. One source might be the tradtional archery crowd,
but I think they may get theirs from slaughter houses...

Personally, I don't see myself hanging outside a turkey farm
for scraps.

The ****nuts of FPN would probably prefer peacock feathers.

That way they could post threads about what ink to match to their
feathers.

Speaking of FPN, have they started censoring idiots? I haven't been
around there much at all, but I have looked in a few times for a few
minutes--mainly because I'll find out about Nathan's new Baystate
color there quicker than I will here--but anyway, I didn't notice any
really rank stupidity in any of my visits--just normal FPN stupidity
all over the place, but none of the total and all out rank stupidity
that FPN is so well known for.
Old September 3rd 08, 02:07 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Bluesea[_3_]

"John B. Egger" wrote in message
. ..
During our summer vacation, I found a couple of beautiful feathers. One of
them is almost certainly a wild turkey's, and the other may be an owl's.

So... how do I go about writing with them? I haven't snipped anything off
the quill end yet, but I did poke an opened-up paper clip into the open
end to clean it out a bit.

Do they have to be treated for mites? How do you do that?

I'm thinking of the cricket cages that aren't imported anymore because of
the little nasties stowing away in the wood.

--
~~Bluesea~~
Spam is great in musubi, but not in email.