Noodler's Firefly and Highlighters

Old April 3rd 05, 09:31 AM
Dave

Default Noodler's Firefly and Highlighters

Hi

Any suggestions for creating a useful highlighter pen to go with this
lovely ink, for somebody who
(a) is accustomed to using broad-tip felt highlighters, and
(b) has no interest in "underline-style" highlighting, and definitely
prefers to make a single broad stroke that covers the words?

I hope Nathan's new highlighter-style ink doesn't smudge too badly if I
put it over ballpoint, pencil, or photocopies. I'm looking forward to
trying it out.

David

Maybe this ink will turn out to be more orange than actual orange ink,
if you get my drift. :-)
Old April 3rd 05, 11:11 AM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

Dave writes:

Any suggestions for creating a useful highlighter pen to go with this
lovely ink, for somebody who
(a) is accustomed to using broad-tip felt highlighters, and
(b) has no interest in "underline-style" highlighting, and definitely
prefers to make a single broad stroke that covers the words?

I just stumbled across these pages:

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/naray...Fountain_Pens/

See those "Linewidth charts". It seems that Osmiroid calligraphic pens
has very wide nibs:

http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/naray...rn_nibs/4.html
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/naray...rn_nibs/5.html
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/naray...rn_nibs/8.html
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/naray...rn_nibs/9.html

But it seems that Osmiroid is discontinued brand. Berol bought that that
company. Then Sanford bought Berol and Berol stopped making Osmiroid
products.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"sometimes, i have everything - yet i wish i felt something." nine inch nails
Old April 3rd 05, 04:59 PM
Chuck Swisher

Dave wrote:

Any suggestions for creating a useful highlighter pen to go with this
lovely ink, for somebody who
(a) is accustomed to using broad-tip felt highlighters, and
(b) has no interest in "underline-style" highlighting, and definitely
prefers to make a single broad stroke that covers the words?

I use it in a Lamy Safari with a 1.9 nib and it works just fine. You could
also try one of the Parker, Rotring, or Sheaffer calligraphy pens if you
could find them sold separately (sorry we only have the Parker sets). If
you can't find these and don't want to spend over $20 for one of the Lamy
pens, then you could aways use one of the Sailor calligraphy pens with a
converter.

I hope Nathan's new highlighter-style ink doesn't smudge too badly if I
put it over ballpoint, pencil, or photocopies. I'm looking forward to
trying it out.

Here's a link to a test I did using the Firefly to highlight Sailor gel ink,
Bic ballpoint ink, Parker gel ink, pencil lead and Noodler's black fountain
pen ink.

http://www.swisherpens.com/parker51/...ting_Inks.html

Just make sure you allow sufficient time for the inks to dry and you
shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 539-2209, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787

Old April 3rd 05, 06:47 PM
KCat

another thought - though like Rotring and some other calligraphy pens, the
pen is long and may be awkward..

Pilot Parallel pens. These things have excellent flow and i find they're
easy to clean - the nice thing is that they have some really broad blades -
i think the largest is 6.0mm.

KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

Old April 3rd 05, 08:25 PM
Dave

In article ,
"KCat" wrote:

another thought - though like Rotring and some other calligraphy pens, the
pen is long and may be awkward.

Thanks for the recommendation on the Parallel pens - I didn't know if
they were suitable or not. But, as you said, awkwardness due to length
is an issue. I don't use highlighters at all, preferring scribbled notes
in the margin - but my wife, who's the highlighter user frustrated with
running out and with constantly changing brands and styles (and who
therefore might appreciate a durable, refillable alternative), has no
tolerance for finicky or inconvenient equipment, and is not a fountain
pen user. (She is also left handed and impatient.) :-)

Maybe a Safari with the widest available italic nib would be a
possibility, or one of the other calligraphy-set type pens that has a
normal length barrel.

Any other suggestions? I was too dense even to have thought of an italic
nib!

David
Old April 3rd 05, 11:05 PM
KCat

"Dave" wrote in message

Maybe a Safari with the widest available italic nib would be a
possibility, or one of the other calligraphy-set type pens that has a
normal length barrel.

Any other suggestions? I was too dense even to have thought of an italic
nib!

David

If you can find an old-style (made in England) Osmiroid these are good pens
and IMO comfortable. I've seen sets on e-bay. One of the things about old
osmiroids that would appeal to someone who is impatient is that they are
fairly dry writers. So rather than the very wet line of a Parallel pen (and
in my experience, Rotrings) you'd get a drier, faster-drying line in a
medium sized pen.

The Sailor pen that Chuck mentioned would allow for line variation - but
that can be good or bad depending on your POV. To me, I don't have enough
control to use one as a general writing tool. But as a highlighter it might
really be good. I'll have to dig up mine and dink with it. Certainly a
cheap pen to try the concept anyway.

I have long wanted an FP highlighter but up until recently found yellows too
pale. What I like is that they write over pencil without smearing where as
some highlighters (pen or pencil) tend to smear pencil.

My *favorite* highlighter though - and for your wife this is worth
considering if she hasn't tried it already - the "drylighters" made by
Faber-Castell. I don't know if they still make the regular pencils. I have
several and there's certainly no fear of them ever drying out. Then there's
the Graphiti? It's a pencil holder and you can get various colored
highlighter refills for it. It will smear regular pencil but I love them
for highlighting pen or book text.

I'm sure you can find it elsewhere but this is a good view of the refillable
pencil.
http://www.levenger.com/Pagetemplate...MorePhotos.asp

if I've mucked up that link - go to Levenger's site and search on
"Graphiti". It is a solid "pencil" and not a messy marker. The only thing
I don't know is if it is still being made... I don't see it on the FC site -
which may just mean they don't make it and I was imagining that part. :P
Still - a set of 3 and a couple of sets of refills ought to last a loooong
time.

KCat the Verbose

Old April 3rd 05, 11:57 PM
Nancy Handy

Chuck Swisher wrote:
I hope Nathan's new highlighter-style ink doesn't smudge too badly if I
put it over ballpoint, pencil, or photocopies. I'm looking forward to
trying it out.

Here's a link to a test I did using the Firefly to highlight Sailor gel ink,
Bic ballpoint ink, Parker gel ink, pencil lead and Noodler's black fountain
pen ink.
http://www.swisherpens.com/parker51/...ting_Inks.html

Just make sure you allow sufficient time for the inks to dry and you
shouldn't have any problems.

I guess this means that the only fountain pen inks that you can
highlight over are the permanent inks. And I guess that makes perfect
sense.

Nancy
Old April 4th 05, 07:32 AM
svejk

If you can't find a Koh-I-Noor Brushograph like mine (6.0 mm brush tip,
pen is piston fill like a rapidograph) how about a B-3 nib (2.0 mm,
three tines) on an Osmiroid 75? Piston fill (65 is lever fill); no
iridium, but should be good enough for high-lighting (a fair number on
eBay). Osmiroid also made a wider B-4 nib. Later Osmiroids are
cartridge and use different nibs, I have never tried one. Or my first
pen, an Sheafer Calligraphy pen, their Italic B is also 2.0; cartridge,
though ($4.50 or so). The Parker Calligraphy set is $28.00 from
Swisher's; perhaps he can tell us how broad the Broad nib in the set
is. Or Speedball dip nibs, a little cumbersome perhaps but the brushes
go up to 3/4".

Old April 4th 05, 08:06 AM
Juhapekka Tolvanen

"svejk" writes:

(2.0 mm, three tines)

2.0

Just for the reference: My highlighter pens (Stabilo Boss Super Plus)
have 5 mm wide tip. We need at least that wide nib.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * * http colon slash slash iki dot fi slash juhtolv
"Lennän taas. Olen juppihippipunkkari ja vaihdan paikkaa. Lennän taas. Turha
Old April 4th 05, 08:30 AM
Dave

In article ,
Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:

"svejk" writes:

(2.0 mm, three tines)

2.0

Just for the reference: My highlighter pens (Stabilo Boss Super Plus)
have 5 mm wide tip. We need at least that wide nib.

To me, maybe *that* wide is not absolutely necessary. But it is good to
have an indication of just how wide many highlighters are, and that
those in the 1.5 - 2.0 mm range are not even half as wide.

So, what is this Brushograph? Are they still made? Is it something that
one has to take care of?
(I know my wife would never use something she has to take care of. Maybe
the dry highlighters are going to win the day.)

David