Wettest pens

Old October 5th 04, 02:28 AM
Gregg Gibson

Default Wettest pens

I am feeling very frustrated because I have tried a number of fountain
pens and none of them are nearly wet enough for my taste. I find the
Waterman Phileas and Laureat for example far too dry, as are a wide
selection of cheap vintage pens I've got on ebay. I've always used
Sheaffer cartridge pens, with a fine nib. I would buy 6 or 8 and
tinker with the nibs until I found one that would gush out ink like a
dip pen, the way I like. I know medium nibs are a little wetter, but I
like fine nibs, and even the mediums I've tried seem much too dry to
me.

The rOtring Freeway was just as miserably dry as all the others I
tried, but after flexxing the nib for a while it loosened up and gave
me a nice river of ink. Unfortunately it only comes in a medium nib,
which is not for me. I'm thinking of getting a rOtring Initial in a
fine nib, and hoping I my be able to coax it into being a wet enough
writer.

Does anyone know of a really WET writing pen with a fine nib, so wet
as a matter of course (not by accident or as a defect) that you would
never want to use it? That would be my dream pen.

Gregg
Old October 5th 04, 02:47 PM
QuarterHorseman

You may have wandered astray here. Any pen, F, M, or B, can be made to
write wet with a simple, properly-done tine adjustment. Disallowing
damage and sprung nib, both QC problems or evidence of the pen being a
repackaged/reshipped return, a pen from the factory is a wet (or dry)
writer only insofar as its tine adjustment has made it so, with certain
infrequent exceptions for engineering errors/peculiarities that may
shrink the window of adjustability at the heavy-flow end.

There's a 99% chance that every one of your dry writers suffers from
tines closed at the tip, which is absolutely unacceptable in a nib that
is not designed to flex with light-to-normal writing pressure -- and
those nibs are nearly nonexistent today but were common several decades
ago. Closed tips are one of the main scourges of modern fountain pens;
they work against all writers except the heavy-handed ones.
Old October 5th 04, 10:06 PM
Gregg Gibson

QuarterHorseman wrote in message ...
[...]

Yes, I seem to remember writing with one of my professor's Watermans
years ago, and being surprised at how very wet it was. It dribbled ink
all over the page. It was fascinating to play with. I have never found
any modern pen like it. Perhaps they expect people nowadays to write
with very absorbent, cheap paper, for which a dry writer might be
acceptable. But I like nice, smooth, hard, ink resistant paper. There
is nothing like a ribbon of ink on such paper.

Personally I HAD to change to fountain pens. Ballpoints were wearing
out my hands. I write for 3 or 4 hours a day and NEVER press down at
all on the nib. If I did, I would pay for it with numb fingers the
next morning. And while a computer is fine for chatting, for really
creative work I have to use a pen.

I am thinking that rather than waste more money on overpriced modern
pens, I should find a skilled pen person such as scaupaug to adjust
the nibs for me on some vintage pens.
Old October 5th 04, 11:18 PM
PENMART01

"Mike G." writes:

I'm wondering, too, if the perception of 'dryness' in modern pens is made
worse by the relative inflexibility of modern nibs. Especially in the case
of 'loopy upstroke' cursive letters such as 'h' where a relatively
inflexible nib (most modern pens) will give the appearance of 'dryness'
simply because of their lack of flexibility in responding to the nuances of
loopy upstrokes or downstrokes...

You're loopy!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old October 6th 04, 02:11 AM
KCat

"Mike G." wrote in message
et...
This is true. However, I think the original point is valid. Actually, I
think both points are valid. And I need a drink...

I'm lupie and loopy.

I've found lately that regardless of the nib sort or ink, I'm lifting the
pen slightly off the page for those "loopy" bits. I dunno why i'm doing
that but it makes my writing look a bit spidery even with a firm fine or
medium nib.

kcat

lupus pages
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/
kcat pages
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/kcspages/

Old October 6th 04, 01:54 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:11:06 GMT, "KCat" wrote:

I've found lately that regardless of the nib sort or ink, I'm lifting the
pen slightly off the page for those "loopy" bits. I dunno why i'm doing
that but it makes my writing look a bit spidery even with a firm fine or
medium nib.

You obviously need a desk top that lifts to meet your pen. With an
initial deposit of $ 5000 and the understanding this will be an
open-ended project, I'd be glad to take a shot. I like to think of my
lack of experience in ever doing anything like it to be 'open to all
possible solutions'.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old October 6th 04, 05:17 PM
KCat

"Curtis L. Russell" wrote in message
On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 01:11:06 GMT, "KCat" wrote:

You obviously need a desk top that lifts to meet your pen. With an
initial deposit of $ 5000 and the understanding this will be an
open-ended project, I'd be glad to take a shot. I like to think of my
lack of experience in ever doing anything like it to be 'open to all
possible solutions'.

Cute, Curtis.

When I can afford an LE Pen, I'll consider an LE Desk top. :-)

I have one of those lovely editor's desks from Levenger (well, from a
wonderful friend who decided it was not getting enough use) and I try to do
a lot of my snailing there. But the lift problem occurs when I'm being lazy
and curled up in a recliner as cats have a tendency to do.

For now, I'll hold off on the magical desk that keeps pace with my pen...
But ya know, it sounds fascinating as a design project. Pointless perhaps -
but fascinating. :-)