Montblanc rollerball cap won't post properly

Old October 1st 08, 04:32 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Norman M. Schwartz

Default Montblanc rollerball cap won't post properly

Aaron W. Hsu wrote:
Charles writes:

When I took it out and started to write with it, as soon as the cap,
which I had posted, came into contact with my hand just slightly, it
immediately popped off the pen. I have tried this many times and
always get the same result.

[...]

Anyone ever heard of this happening? Perhaps someone knows of a
simple way of fixing it?

Simply put, you shouldn't post your MontBlanc. This is the advice I
have heard in multiple places from multiple people for quite some
time. You could do some things to make it post, but any solution to
you should make sure that you don't put any pressure on the cap.
MontBlanc resins are known to be more brittle than other resins, and
putting pressure on them over time can result in a weakening in the
pen's structure, and result in cracks or chips.

Of course, plenty of people post their pens, and plenty of people have
them working just fine that way, but it can have negative long term
side effects.

Long ago I was informed that in order not to mar a 'pricey' pen, it
shouldn't be posted and that the cap should be placed open side down on the
surface of your desk. Haven't you noticed circular 'ethchings' on pen's
barrel caused by continued posting? All this is irrelevant to all but 'anal'
collectors concerned about maintaing a costly pen's new pristene appearance.

Aaron Hsu

Old October 1st 08, 04:56 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Brian Ketterling

In ,
Norman M. Schwartz wrote:

Long ago I was informed that in order not to mar a 'pricey' pen, it
shouldn't be posted and that the cap should be placed open side down on

the
surface of your desk...
...All this is irrelevant to all but 'anal'
collectors...

You were advised to carefully balance the cap on end on your desk ? That
*is* pretty anal. It also sounds like it would make the cap much more
"swattable", ending with your expensive pen cap flying through the air when
you reach for something.

Unless you were just meant to sit and contemplate the thing...

Brian

Old October 2nd 08, 04:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Charles

In article ,
"Norman M. Schwartz" wrote:

Long ago I was informed that in order not to mar a 'pricey' pen, it
shouldn't be posted and that the cap should be placed open side down on the
surface of your desk. Haven't you noticed circular 'ethchings' on pen's
barrel caused by continued posting? All this is irrelevant to all but 'anal'
collectors concerned about maintaing a costly pen's new pristene appearance.

Yes--if I had a very expensive pen, I would not post it if that would
mar the finish, although I don't think I would go as far as setting the
cap down in a special way. (If a pen was that delicate, I wouldn't use
it at all, but just keep it in a case.)

This pen, however, which cost $180 in 2002, is not a particularly exotic
model and far from an "art pen." Even though it wasn't cheap, I bought
it for daily general business use in a variety of situations, most of
them away from my desk. (Otherwise I would have bought a fountain pen.)

One Pelikan rollerball I have, now about 15 years old, does show some
dulling where the cap has been posted, but even greater dulling in the
area below where the cap is screwed onto the barrel--certainly not
something that can be avoided. Neither of these is apparent except upon
close observation, however, nor are they offensive to me; these are the
wear marks that come from normal use of a functional tool.

The barrel of this Montblanc is very slim and the pen is just under
4-11/16" long without the cap. This makes the pen feel unbalanced and
uncomfortable to write with. I think you would have to have fairly small
hands to use it with ease.

Among other pen manufacturers, Nakaya, at least, implies that most pens
are designed to be posted when they say, in describing their original
Cigar model, "This model is very long and is supposed to be used without
posting the cap when writing" http://www.nakaya.org/eproduct3.html.

None of this helps me very much, though. I am still looking for a
solution--other than not posting--if anyone has one.

Someone suggested surfwax--has anyone tried this or anything similar?
Any other ideas?

David
Old October 2nd 08, 08:40 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

Charles writes:

None of this helps me very much, though. I am still looking for a
solution--other than not posting--if anyone has one.

Any substance that will hold the cap at the back without rubbing off or
leaving residue on the inside of the pen cap should work. Rubber attached
to the back of the pen, &c.

Aaron Hsu
--
+++++++++++++++ ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x))) +++++++++++++++
Email: | WWW: http://www.sacrideo.us
Old October 2nd 08, 08:34 PM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Jimmy

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
Charles writes:

None of this helps me very much, though. I am still looking for a
solution--other than not posting--if anyone has one.

Any substance that will hold the cap at the back without rubbing off or
leaving residue on the inside of the pen cap should work. Rubber attached
to the back of the pen, &c.

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. How about glueing one or two small
pieces of rubber band inside the lip of the cap?

Old October 3rd 08, 02:27 AM posted to alt.collecting.pens-pencils
Aaron W. Hsu[_3_]

"Jimmy" writes:

"Aaron W. Hsu" wrote in message
Charles writes:

None of this helps me very much, though. I am still looking for a
solution--other than not posting--if anyone has one.

Any substance that will hold the cap at the back without rubbing off or
leaving residue on the inside of the pen cap should work. Rubber attached
to the back of the pen, &c.

Yes, I was thinking along the same lines. How about glueing one or two small
pieces of rubber band inside the lip of the cap?

I wouldn't glue anything, unless you really don't care about the pen.
I don't know how glues would adhere to the pen, and the resin has a
lot of glass like properties, making adhesion questionable. If you
used something like plastic cement, I don't know what it would do to
the resin.

I would probably favor more of a little rubber insert that could be
removed again if desired. It's also very possible that the rubber
insert could interfere with the rest of the operation of the pen,
such as caping it, so check on that.

Aaron Hsu