Used Sheaffer Targa writes really dry

Old October 8th 04, 06:53 PM
Sonam Dasara

Default Used Sheaffer Targa writes really dry

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:17:16 -0400 (EDT), Ryan M. McConahy wrote:

Hi!

I bought a used stainless steel Sheaffer Targa with a medium
nib online that doesn't write right. It will barely write, if
at all, unless I apply a lot of pressure -- not so much that
I fear wrecking it -- but far more than should be necessary.
I've cleaned it with water, 409 diluted 3:1 with water, and
household ammonia diluted about 4:1 with water and still have
no luck. I examined the tines with a 10x magnifying glass and
they looked fine. However, the portion of the nib extending
beyond the feed appears to slope up relative to the rest of the
nib but that might just be the natural form of the nib. I'm using
Noodler's Eternal Verdun with the Sheaffer sac converter and
have tried using a Sheaffer cartridge with the same results.
Also, if I write with the pen upside-down, it writes consistanly
with a fine line, but is scratchy on the downstroke. When writing
normally, it doesn't feel scratchy much. Interestingly, I find that
it writes on wet paper -- so I'm wondering if the gap between the
tines just need to be widened a little. If so, could someone
provide directions? (I prefer a fine-to-extra fine line). I'm
relatively new to this whole fountain pen thing so any help would
be appreciated.

-- Ryan

You are correct: the nib-slit primarily regulates ink flow. It must be
widened carefully with a piece of brass shim stock of .002 or .003 inch
thickness - available at a machinist's supply house.

Rather than launch into a usenet how-to, may I suggest that you buy "Da
Book" by Frank Dubiel, who gives better instructions than I could. And for
the $20 you'll get a wealth of knowledge about other fountain pen repairs.
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
10/8/2004 1:49:42 PM
dovekeeper+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old October 9th 04, 02:42 AM
Garglemonster

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 00:17:16 -0400 (EDT), "Ryan M. McConahy"
said:

Ryan Hi! I bought a used stainless steel Sheaffer Targa with a
Ryan medium nib online that doesn't write right. It will barely
Ryan write, if at all, unless I apply a lot of pressure -- not so
Ryan much that I fear wrecking it -- but far more than should be
Ryan necessary. I've cleaned it with water, 409 diluted 3:1 with
Ryan water, and household ammonia diluted about 4:1 with water
Ryan and still have no luck. I examined the tines with a 10x
Ryan magnifying glass and they looked fine. However, the portion
Ryan of the nib extending beyond the feed appears to slope up
Ryan relative to the rest of the nib but that might just be the
Ryan natural form of the nib.

it is, so don't worry about that.

Ryan I'm using Noodler's Eternal Verdun with the Sheaffer sac
Ryan converter and have tried using a Sheaffer cartridge with the
Ryan same results. Also, if I write with the pen upside-down, it
Ryan writes consistanly with a fine line, but is scratchy on the
Ryan downstroke. When writing normally, it doesn't feel scratchy
Ryan much. Interestingly, I find that it writes on wet paper --
Ryan so I'm wondering if the gap between the tines just need to
Ryan be widened a little. If so, could someone provide
Ryan directions?

it's best to practice on some nibs you don't care too much about
first. i suggest a pilot varsity or dip pen nibs. the best tools are
your fingernails. working one tine at a time, pull the each tine away
from the slit, trying not to snap off the iridium or getting the tines
out of alignment. go slowly.

good luck.

--

Ceci n'est pas une pipe.