Old $20 bills

Old June 15th 04, 05:58 AM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
(Abugaj01) wrote:

I've saved quite a number of notes with unusual serial numbers. I have a bill
that ends with six 9's, and lots of bills that have 5 of the same number.

You know, I've never understood that. isn't a bill with the serial
number 123456789 or 999999999 as scarce as one with the number 739458621?

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."
Old June 15th 04, 05:23 PM
Coin Saver

From: Scot Kamins

I've never understood (collecting notes by "fancy" or "curiosity" serial

numbers) ... isn't a bill with the serial number 123456789 or 999999999 as
scarce as one with the number 739458621?

First, there are only 8 numerals in a FRN serial number.

Now then; not all people who collect things gague their criteria on scarcity.
This is the old reality, someone who collects "A" cannot understand why another
collector collects "B", nor the appeal of "B" as a collectible.

I have a set of $1 FRNs I call "the years"; it has no formal "scarce" notes in
it, and as far as I know, it is unique in the fact that nobody else has such a
collection.

What it is: take the first four numbers of a $1 serial # ... I'm collecting one
each of each year of this country (for 300 years) starting with 1776 (ie: the
first one has a serial number of 1776xxxx) and ending with 2076 (ie: the last
one has a serial number of 2076xxxx); then each of these are matched up with a
note with the last 4 digits with the same year (ie: the first one has a serial
number of xxxx1776 and the last one with a serial number of xxxx2076).

I currently need about 40 notes to complete the total 600 notes. In it's
current level of near completion, I might be willing to pay an over face amount
for a "hole-filler" for this collection.

One person I described this to thought it was a fantastic collection, another
thought it was a total waste of time and money, still another couldn't even see
the point of doing it.

This collection has nothing to do with scarcity. Likewise, someone who wants a
note with serial number 88888888 but not serial number 92758104 has nothing to
do with its scarcity. It has to do with its position in print, its "place in
line" so to speak, its repetitive or unusual combination of numbers. Such as
also with a serial number of 12345678 or 8765432.

I knew a guy born in October, 1973, in Los Angeles ... he procured a note with
the serial number L 10031973 A, his birthday (Oct third, 73) and the letters of
"LA" (place of birth). I don't know how much he paid for it, but I'm willing
to bet the seller could have held out for (and got) at least $35. This note
was hardly scarce, certainly as common as was the serial numbers adjacent (L
10031974 A, etc) but those would have gotten the seller zip from this guy.

If you can understand these motivations, then you can at least recognize that a
given collector may have a valid personal reason for preferring one serial
number over another, to the point of paying a slight premium for that note,
regardless of "scarcity", and regardless of the motivations of other
collectors.

I hope I've helped you to understand.
8-|
- Coin Saver

Old June 15th 04, 05:33 PM
Coin Saver

From: abugaj01

I've saved quite a number of notes with unusual serial numbers. I have a bill

that ends with six 9's, and lots of bills that have 5 of the same number.

The first one does have a somewhat substantial collector's value, the others (5
similar numbers) have a lesser appeal, unless the 5 #s are in sequence. If
not, their value to a collector will be around $1.35 - $2.25 each, max, to a
collector.

That being said, know this: the good thing about the ones with the 5 similar
numbers is that there is still an element of society that plays "dollar poker"
in taverns. These people will pay up to $20 for the "right note", mainly
because they can make a profit with it. Trouble is finding these guys and
pitching the bill to them.

One goal you might shoot for: One note each of 5 numbers of each digit (5 ones,
5 twos, etc).

If ever you decide to eBay the note with the last 6 digits being 9's ... please
let me know the auction number.
8-|
- Coin Saver

Old June 17th 04, 01:25 AM
bw

"KellyClarksonTV" wrote in message
a friend of mine works at a bank and found 4 old design $20 bills (1977,

1985,
1988, and 1990) in reletively new condition, are they worth anything?

Twenty dollars each.
If in perfect condition, put them on eBay to determine market value.