Rock-ola 454 Jukebox help

Old November 16th 10, 01:02 AM
Dovers Dovers is offline
Junior Member

Location: Sydney Australia
Default Rock-ola 454 Jukebox help

Hi

I have a problem with my 454 Jukebox

After playing a 45 the gripper that chooses the record gets stuck in
the record holder.
I have to shake the record holder to release the gripper

Can anyone help as I dont have a manual

Thanks

Dovers

Last edited by Dovers : November 16th 10 at 01:14 AM.
Old November 17th 10, 07:20 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Dovers,

I'm not quite sure what your symptom is exactly. Is the gripper actually striking the record dividers of the magazine? Is the gripper resting against the lower stop and releasing the record? A little more detailed info might help troubleshoot your problem.

Respectfully,

David
Old November 17th 10, 10:16 PM
Dovers Dovers is offline
Junior Member

Location: Sydney Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRebber View Post
Dovers,

I'm not quite sure what your symptom is exactly. Is the gripper actually striking the record dividers of the magazine? Is the gripper resting against the lower stop and releasing the record? A little more detailed info might help troubleshoot your problem.

Respectfully,

David
Hi David
Thanks for your response
After the record has been played, the gripper places the 45 back into the
magazine and then does not return or play the next record
So basically gets stuck with the 45 it has just played in the magazine
If I shake the magazine a few times it releases and plays the next record

Thanks

Dovers
Old November 18th 10, 01:50 PM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

An assortment of possibilities exist:
1. The gripper assembly needs to be lubricated. Although the release action is motor driven (the gripping action is spring tension), it may be binding just at the point of release where the cam switch will change the circuit from transfer to scan.

2. A faulty cam switch is either losing connection or not making connection when necessary.

3. The gripper arm is binding against the magazine, thereby shaking it will allow it to travel to full extension and release the record.

I hope this helps a little. I will see if I have any manuals that give the sequence of operation that might help you solve your problem.

Respectfully,

David
Old November 22nd 10, 01:40 AM
Dovers Dovers is offline
[...]

Thanks again David
For some strange reason my Rockola is working fine again, but i'm sure the problem will come back.
I will apply motor lubrication as I think that may have been the issue.

Any more info will be appreciated

Regards

Dovers
Old December 10th 10, 08:52 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
McDuseldick

--
Dovers

Hi Dovers

Try WD40

Regards,

Ron
Old February 9th 11, 03:51 AM
Dovers Dovers is offline
[...]

Same problem came back and now after making a selection, the selection clicks through but then nothing happens.
Tried the lubrication but didnt make a difference.
Maybe cam switch
Do you have a manual for sequence etc

Regards

Dovers
Old February 10th 11, 02:16 AM
DRebber DRebber is offline
Senior Member

Location: Lubbock, TX

Dovers,

If the mech is resting at home position when you make the selection and nothing happens, my first thought would be the microswitch and/or spring actuator on the top back side of the selection pin assembly. A solenoid will fire at the same time the selection write-in coil is fired, thereby taking pressure off the selection pins and setting the SCAN sequence into motion.

By the way, it really helps to be as specific as possible with all aspects of what is happening when a malfunction occurs. Everything observable is a clue for someone trying to troubleshoot a problem from a remote location. Case in point: I had a location that would call almost every day to complain that the jukebox only gave 3 songs for a dollar, instead of the 5 songs showing on the pricing card. I would run dollar bills through the DBV until I was blue in the face and it would give 5 credits every time. I made about seven service calls before asking the ditzy barmaid to explain exactly how they were being short-changed. As it turned out, they were getting 5 credits, but the write-in sequence was not always setting the selection pin ( dirty write-in contact ring connection).

Let me know more, if possible.

Respectfully,

David
Old February 14th 11, 03:46 AM
Dovers Dovers is offline
Junior Member

Location: Sydney Australia

Hi David

I appreciate your help
The guy I purchased the RockOla off is really a Pinball expert
So he has asked me to gather as much info as I can, apparently there
are not too many Juke experts around Sydney
Hopefully he will be visiting shortly to check out the problem
The Juke is the best thing I have ever purchased!

Cheers
Dovers

Old October 5th 11, 09:31 PM
Bob Raney Bob Raney is offline
Member

Location: Southern Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovers View Post
Hi David

Same problem came back and now after making a selection, the selection clicks through but then nothing happens.
Tried the lubrication but didnt make a difference.
Maybe cam switch
Do you have a manual for sequence etc

Regards

Dovers
I have a Rockola 456 that had a similiar issue. I unscrewed the 3 bolts from the motor and manually moved the Gripper Arm 20 times (with lubrication) to finally get it to function properly. I think the lubricant needs to get help by manually moving the part until it flow freely inside the mechanism. After doing this, everything works great now. Bob