SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

Old June 12th 09, 03:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

Default SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold Commemorative 2.5 ounce gold coin is it worth buying?

Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) for $2,800.00 melt price
around $3,400.00.
Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
Commemorative”
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...commemorative/

Thanks,

Old June 12th 09, 05:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jun 11, 10:18*pm, "jack" wrote:
Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) *for $2,800.00 melt price
around $3,400.00.
Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
*Commemorative”
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...ing-the-ss-cen...

Thanks,

While it appears to be a legitimate 2.5 oz. of gold (more of a token
than a coin), I would suggest buying it for no more than melt.
Watching the video reminded me of all of those "guaranteed 100% pure
silver/gold layered proof" crap tokens you see advertised on late-
night TV. Like always, do your homework before you drop any major
bucks on something like this.

Jerry
Old June 12th 09, 11:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 11, 9:18*pm, "jack" wrote:
Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) *for $2,800.00 melt price
around $3,400.00.
Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
*Commemorative”
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...ing-the-ss-cen...

Thanks,

Buying this item well "back of melt" would be even better. It's an
abomination, a pure commercial perversion of everything that a real
numismatist would actually value. Real historical artifacts from the
California 1849 Gold Rush era were destroyed to produce this.

oly
Old June 12th 09, 10:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Its a beautiful medal. Unlike some would like, you can't expect a
company to spend thousands on sculpting and tooling then sell the
medals at or below melt...and stay in business. The margin with the
selling price isnt as high as the basic household goods you buy at Wal-
Mart..or a MacBook pro.

Old June 12th 09, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

On Jun 11, 10:18*pm, "jack" wrote:

Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) *for $2,800.00 melt price
around $3,400.00.
Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
*Commemorative”
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...ing-the-ss-cen...

Thanks,- Hide quoted text -

My dog Wiggly can draw and sculpt better than this; and she's been
dead for fifteen years. But not as dead as this numisma-whore
jeton.

Please spend you money on something more numismatically significant.
Find a decent "S" mintmarked $20 Liberty from the same era.

oly
Old June 13th 09, 01:50 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

If they offered it in silver I would buy it. I do miss the Gallery
Mint offerings.

Old June 13th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

"Jerry Dennis" wrote in message
On Jun 11, 10:18 pm, "jack" wrote:
Hi, they are selling this coin (2.5 ounce gold) for $2,800.00 melt price
around $3,400.00.
Introducing The “SS Central America Octagonal Humbert $50 Gold
Commemorative”
does this coin have any collector value or just gold price?

http://www.zoomcoin.com/rare-coin-ne...ing-the-ss-cen...

Thanks,

While it appears to be a legitimate 2.5 oz. of gold (more of a token
than a coin), I would suggest buying it for no more than melt.
Watching the video reminded me of all of those "guaranteed 100% pure
silver/gold layered proof" crap tokens you see advertised on late-
night TV. Like always, do your homework before you drop any major
bucks on something like this.

Good points. I made a mistake the melt price is only about $2,400.00 not
$3,400.00.
It's a gold token, not coated, I know the company and I know the company,
odessey marine,
that found it but I think it's selling for way too much.

Old June 13th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

Buying this item well "back of melt" would be even better. It's an
abomination, a pure commercial perversion of everything that a real
numismatist would actually value. Real historical artifacts from the
California 1849 Gold Rush era were destroyed to produce this.

The only made 350 token a couple of years ago but still have about forty for
sale.

Old June 13th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jack

"MKW" wrote in message
If they offered it in silver I would buy it. I do miss the Gallery
Mint offerings.

what was gallery mint?