Real or Fake?

Old January 22nd 04, 02:21 AM
Deforce

Default Real or Fake?

Hi forumees,

I am interested in your opinions on the 'realness' of this Gold
Solidus of Justinian II.

Is it real or fake?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=35 5

Thanks
Old January 22nd 04, 03:13 AM
Jorg Lueke

On 21 Jan 2004 18:21:36 -0800, Deforce wrote:

Hi forumees,

I am interested in your opinions on the 'realness' of this Gold
Solidus of Justinian II.

Is it real or fake?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=35 5

Thanks

Isn't it a Justin I? I don't think there;'s anything in the pic that
would condem the coin. If the weight is right the main thing I'd look for
coin in hand would be to see if it was recut at all. Do you have doubts?

Old January 22nd 04, 04:07 PM
Deforce

Jorg Lueke wrote in message ...
On 21 Jan 2004 18:21:36 -0800, Deforce wrote:

Hi forumees,

I am interested in your opinions on the 'realness' of this Gold
Solidus of Justinian II.

Is it real or fake?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...category=35 5

Thanks

Isn't it a Justin I? I don't think there;'s anything in the pic that
would condem the coin. If the weight is right the main thing I'd look for
coin in hand would be to see if it was recut at all. Do you have doubts?

Just that it seems a baragin at the price, since i have seen it sold
for $500, perhaps i am just a scepticist
Old January 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Stephen Falder

I agree with Jorg Lueke it looks unlike Justin 1 more like Justin 2 to me
especially as the rev is not victory/angel but looks like seated
constantinopolis not expert in Byz au Bronze is my field but looks like s345
so the price is fair to good.

Stephen Falder