UPDATE - StarStruck Show in Las Vegas - second post attempt

Old July 3rd 03, 07:54 AM
Todd F.

Default UPDATE - StarStruck Show in Las Vegas - second post attempt

Free Drinks? That's why Mickey Rooney was in a good mood... he
didn't have the shakes.. .
Happy you had a fun time.. celebs I spoke to at the HCS who were at that
Vegas show were dissapointed with the low turn out.. no money for them. They
loved the promoters but not the job they did.
Todd F.
--
Todd's Autograph Arena
http://www.toddsautographarena.com
"NewToGame" wrote in message
Second attempt with smaller jpg attachments.

This time I decided to pass on the HCS and instead I attended the

StarStruck
Show in Vegas (6/21 - 6/22). I thought I would share my thoughts with the
group on this show. All in all from what I have heard about the HCS I am
glad that I went instead to Vegas. From the lack of posts and the low turn
out, it seems like not many people were aware of the show in Vegas. I also
think that the promoters did not do a good job in promoting the event.

This
was their first show in Vegas and they were disappointed in the low
attendance. But for me that's what make the show one of best I have ever
attended.

On Friday evening I got a call from the promoters. To my surprise they

were
inviting guests of the Alexis Park Hotel (this is were the show was held)
who were there for the show to a free cocktail party sponsored by Hewlett
Packard and hosted by Rod McKuen. The food and drinks were good and best

of
all, it was free. Just about everyone who was to be at the show was there.

got some great candid photos with Mickey Rooney, Howard Keel, and my
favorite Kathryn Grayson. We talked with Kathryn for about 30 minutes. She
was so pleasant and never let go of my wife's hand while we talked. I had
heard how difficult Mickey was at these show but he was very pleasant that
evening and for both shows. Virginia Mayo was there but was looking very
frail. David Hedison and Mike Connnors clowned around and were very
friendly. Also at the cocktail party was Margaret O'Brien, James
MacArthur,Meinhardt Raabe (from THE WIZARD OF OZ), Rose Marie (The Dick

Van
Dyke Show), Noel Neill (Lois Lane - Superman TV) and Stella Stevens. Most

of
the stars seemed to be most interested in meeting Ken Norton when he
arrived.

Saturday morning we were the first to arrive at the show. There was no
crowd, no lines. Again we were able to take pictures and take our time
getting the items we wanted signed. We went first to Kathryn Grayson (81)
and Howard Keel (84). Kathryn remembered us from the cocktail party and
seemed happy to see us again. Mrs Grayson personalized everything for us

but
Howard Keel only signed. Said he has trouble writing these days. Both look
great for their age. Mickey Rooney(83) arrived a little late but was in

good
spirits. His age really shows now. His wife and son really keep things
running smoothly. They don't let him get too befuddled or stressed.

Virginia
Mayo (83) shows her age and was in a wheelchair although she seemed

mentally
sharp. I brought my own vintage photo of her from "The Best Years Of Our
Lives" which she really liked. She looked at it for a long time. I know

she
would have liked to keep it but I just could not part with it. Tippi

Hedren
was also very pleasant and smiled for pictures. I had heard she could be a
little cold and stand-offish but that was not the case. I also found Noel
Neill to be very nice. We talked about the Superman TV series for quite
awhile. That was very nice since I grew up watching that show as a young
boy.

I also had the pleasure of meeting a fellow collector who posts from time

time on this newsgroup. Tommy 2Lips. He has a great web site
http://members.tripod.com/lipprint/index.html Tom was very nice and I was
happy to share stories.

Sunday I went back for a few more autographs of Kathryn Grayson. All and

all
the show was great fun. I know it was a disappointing turn out for the
promoters. I hope they try again next year to put a show together again. I
would recommend attending.

I spoke with a movie director (cannot remember his name) who recommend I
attend the CINECON Festival over labor day in Hollywood. He said it runs
five days and they show movie after movie (I am a film buff) and many
celebrities attend. He told me that I would have many opportunities to

chat
with many of the stars and get autographs. Anyone know anything about this
event?

I attached a couple of photos from the show;

ssDSCN615a
Howard Keel arrives at cocktail party. Kathryn Grayson and Virginia Mayo
seated.

ssDSCN623a
Mickey Rooney and Wife (at cocktail party) being interviewed by Rita

Rudner
for her morning talk show in Vegas.

ssDSCN625ab
Myself with Mickey Rooney and Howard Keel

ssDSCN626abd
My wife with Kathryn Grayson at cocktail party. (see how they are holding
hands, for a half hour)

ssDSCN665a
Myself with Kathryn Grayson, Saturday morning at the show.

ssDSCN666ade
My wife with Mickey, Saturday at the show.

--
Rene Harms

Phone 412 635-8309
Cell 724 612-1022

Old July 13th 03, 12:16 AM
Kayla

Aloha! I'm Kayla, and I'm a newbie around here, but I also attended
the Star Struck Show, so maybe that makes me a junior collector...
Actually, I'm hopelessly addicted to all things Kathryn Grayson, and
it sounds like you had a lovely tme meeting her. I got there a little
late on Saturday, (I'm totally jealous, *I* didn't get a cocktail
party invite!) but before Mickey Rooney (Kathryn kept telling
everyone his whereabouts was a secret.) Her secretary recognized me
immediately, because I've met Kathryn (and her entourage)once before
at a records show in the LA area. They're all so sweet to me, and I
love them dearly. (BTW, I'm the webmistress of KathrynGraysonFan.com)
My mother and I got to go to lunch with Kathryn and her secretary,
Sally, and I do aplogize to the person who went with us, but I can't
rememeber his name! Most of my time was spent at Kathyn's table, but I
did venture out to meet others afte a while. Howard Keel was very nice
(I had to tell him that I was sent with numerous marriage proposals
for him- both he and his wife enjoyed that...) Personally I didn't
care for Tippi Hedren. I never went to her table, but while I was
looking through one of the vendor's photos, she came over and rudely
tossed my pile of pictures into a box- you don't toss my Pretty
Kathryn Things like they're trash and get high favor from this lass.
I didn't go to many tables, because I'm a srange duck and hate to
"bother people" (yes, I do know that that's their whole purpose for
being there-what can I say?) Everyone was very personable, and I
enjoyed it immensely. Sunday was more of the same, but this time I wen
on a mision to the MGM Grand to find a bust of Kathryn and Mario
Lanza... I never did see the darn thing. Anway, whenI came
back,Kathryn told Sally to fix my hair, but I said it was fine, but as
soon as I satnext to Kathryn, she started messing with it. Not that I
minded, of course... I don't know if she heard me laughing, but I
found it really funny. (Not the hairdo, but the situation) Well, I'll
be done now. Glad to be here!

--Kayla