Parker Duofold Deluxe questions

Old November 28th 04, 01:59 AM
sbsawler

Default Parker Duofold Deluxe questions

I've just purchased a Parker Deluxe Fountian pen and seek some details.

The pen seems quite old but I'm not certain how to date it. Suggestions?

The black nib on the back of the barrel screws off and there is a 'pin'
which turns. I believe this is what is used to charge the pen with ink
(like the Pelikan 605). I would like to clean the nib but I cannot
separate the barrel from the nib. Any suggestions?

Finnally, there are two pin holes in the cap which are directly accross
from one another. What are these for?

Thanks.
Scott

Old November 28th 04, 04:52 AM
John Smythe

Can you be more specific about the appearance of the pen? Color, length,
diameter, composition? If you post a more detailed description, I am sure
there are many knowlegeable people paticipating in this group who could date
your pen. If it is a Parker Duofold the "button" or "pin" under the blind
cap at the rear of the pen is either the "button" for a Button filling
system or the post of a Vacumatic filling system depending on the age of the
pen. Parker did not make a Pelikan style piston filler. See
http://www.vintagepens.com/fill.htm at David Nishimura's site for filling
instructions. As for the holes in the cap, they are there to vent pressure
from the cap if (a) the cap is accidentally left on when the filler button
is pressed, (b) the pen is exposed to higher than normal temperatures for a
prolonged period. This will keep the sac or diaphragm, depending on the
model, from rupturing. Do not attempt to seperate the section holding the
nib from the barrel until you have the tools and experience. You will most
certainly ruin what might be a very nice pen. Purchase a copy of Dave
Dubiel's "Fountain Pens, The Complete Guide To Repair & Restoration" if you
wish to get into that sort of thing. It's the definative work on the subject
as far as most vintage pen restorers are concerned, and is offered for a
very reasonable price at many vintage pen sites on the Web.

lkaboutcollecting.com...

Old November 28th 04, 04:59 AM
John Smythe

Sorry, FRANK Dubiel's "Fountain Pens, The Complete Guide To Repair &
Restoration". Don't know what I was thinking.

"John Smythe" wrote in message
[...]

lkaboutcollecting.com...

Old November 28th 04, 05:10 AM
John Smythe

I shoud add, since you mentioned cleaning the nib, that depending on the age
of your pen it could be made of hard rubber. Do not immerse the pen in water
that is anything but cold, and I do not recommend even that. Even lukewarm
water could discolor the pen if it is of hard rubber construction. I'll shut
up now.

[...]

lkaboutcollecting.com...

Old November 30th 04, 04:40 AM
Scott

Hi:

Many thanks for the posts and responses to my query.

Further description:
On the body of the pen it reads: Geo. S. Parker Duofold Made in
U.S.A. The barrel of the pen is brown and black veined and the cap is
pearly green and black veined. The pen may have been made this way
or, I have suspicions the cap may go with a different pen (???). The
clip on the top says Pat. Sep. 5 16 and Parker. The very top is black
as is the very bottom. There are 3 gold ribs around the lid. The nib
looks to be in excellent condition and has inscribed Parker Duofold
Deluxe Made in U.S.A.

Capped: 113mm
cap: 56mm
barrel: 72mm
nib: 34mm

Any thoughts? Also, what about cleaning the nib with Koh-I-noor pen
cleaner? (...If I can find out how to separate the nib from the
barrel...)

Thanks again,
Scott
Old December 5th 04, 12:02 PM
Gordon

"Scott" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The pen is exactly as it says, a Parker Duofold Deluxe, introduced Christmas
1928. Forget the photos in the links posted by someone who clearly knows
nowtabowtit, he is obviously colour blind and unable to count cap rings.
Take a look at page 71 of Andy Lambrou's book and you'll see your pen. If
the black veining is thin and not extensive it is probably in the Moderne
Green pattern, if it is broadish and extensive then it's likely to be
Moderne Black and Pearl (this colour can look greenish, but I think it's
most likely the former pattern). The colour difference between cap and
barrel is "normal" in that these pens are made of an early plastic - not
hard rubber, as a previous poster suggested - that tends to discolour due to
sulphur compounds in the rubber sac. The pen is a button filler, the button
pressing down an a spring steel bar inside the barrel, thus compressing the
sac. My view is that unless you are absolutely determined to write with this
pen, it's best left unrestored. Early plastic pens are very prone to
cracking when disassembly is attempted and I would suggest that they are not
pens for beginners to work on. I have a black and pearl version in my
collection that is moderately discoloured, but I wouldn't even consider
using it, as it's too nice, too fragile, and I haven't re-sacced it. Having
said that, it's only a pen and if you have no emotional attachment to it,
get it restored by an experienced repairer, use it and enjoy.

Gordon