Does Recapping Change the Sound

Old August 18th 04, 03:24 AM
Philip Nasadowski

I don't really care if it changes the sound, as long as it's making the
amp sound the way the designer wanted it to. Though seriously, most non
'hi fi' jukes, this really isn't very critical, since the amp designs
were pot shots anyway (true of any amps until the 50's or so).
Old November 26th 04, 10:19 PM
Roy Blankenship

"Mike Purcell" wrote in message
I have had a few people tell me to recap my 52 AMI "D" and I have a cap

kit
on the way. But so far no one has told me what effects this will have on

the
sound?!?! In fcat I have had at least a few guys tell me not to recap as

the
amp then looses its "warm" feeling? So they seem to think recapping is

abd
thing not a good thing. I know its good to help preserve the output xfmr

but
am I gonna hat ethe sound afterwards?

Thanks
Mike Purcell
Full Tilit Amusements

I do tube amplifier repair and rebuilding for a living. The number one thing
that happens in here is replacing dried out and or/leaking capacitors and
out-of-spec resistors. In my own amps that I am building, I have tried using
carbon composition resistors and Sprague capacitors, as these are supposed
to be the Holy Grail. One prototype I built using Illinois caps and carbon
film resistors is one of the most popular I have, so there you have it. That
being said, recapping your amplifier and changing out of spec resistors will
help preserve your other components as well as bring your amp back to proper
function. Though I once was a hifi junkie, I now regard preservation of old
capacitors and components as voodoo and compromising to the amp's existence.
I have yet to have ANY customers tell me they liked their amp better when it
had leaky capacitors. I think a lot of people think their amps sound great
because of the old components, yet they REALLY love their amps when they
have been given "the massage". A lot of guitar amps of yesteryear have been
"re-issued", and the new amps are not what the old amps were. A lot of
people attribute this to new components, but in my opinion, it has more to
do with the transformers and original amps being equipped with superior
tubes, as in Mullards and black-plate RCA's. Another factor has to do with
the new amps being built with cheap circuit boards with thin traces, and
traces too close together. There ARE amps with GOOD circuit boards being
made, like VHT and Bogner, but this is not the case in the mainstream.

Roy

Old November 28th 04, 07:51 PM
Sir Cumference

Jim Murphy wrote:
Roy, I agree with you on everything you said but for me, they simply sound
better. Jim

Would you take a new amp and parallel all the capaitors with resistors
to change the sound? That is basically what happens when an old
capacitor is leaky.

Old November 28th 04, 09:00 PM
Jim Murphy

Sir, I don't understand your comment. The question originally asked was why
would one want to re-cap an old working amplifier? I answered "They simply
sound better", leaving out all of Roy's comments of course. It sounds, from
your comment here that you thought I said they sound better un-recapped. Jim

Old November 29th 04, 03:00 AM
Philip Nasadowski

I'd recap the amp because it'll save your transformers from smoking, and
make the thing quite reliable. Sound 'better'? It'll sound the way the
designer intended it to, since all the voltages will be right and
today's caps are actually a bit closer to the textbook ideal capacitor,
as opposed to those old paper wax jobs which stunk when they were brand
new.
Old November 29th 04, 03:39 AM
george craig

See Steve Benches site http://member.aol.com/sbench101/
scroll down on the right, ''The Sound of Caps''..........GC

Old November 29th 04, 04:12 AM
george craig

Excuse me thats http://members.aol.com/sbench101/
the sound of caps.....GC