Austrailian Coin

Old February 3rd 05, 04:43 PM
Wayne Hummer

Default Austrailian Coin

I have a small Austrailian coin, silver in color, dated 1995 with a picture
of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse. The reverse has the number 5 and what
appears to be an animal head of some kind. Can anyone tell me what coin this
is?

Thanks.

Old February 3rd 05, 08:56 PM
Numismatist

I have a small Austrailian coin, silver in color, dated 1995 with a picture
of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse. The reverse has the number 5 and what
appears to be an animal head of some kind. Can anyone tell me what coin this
is?

Thanks.

Yep, Australian 5 cents depicting a spiny echidna...sort of a hedgehog.

Old February 3rd 05, 10:15 PM
Ian

Numismatist wrote:
I have a small Austrailian coin, silver in color, dated 1995 with a picture
of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse. The reverse has the number 5 and what
appears to be an animal head of some kind. Can anyone tell me what coin this
is?

Thanks.

Yep, Australian 5 cents depicting a spiny echidna...sort of a hedgehog.

....with an alien hiding up its nose. Have a look for yourself..... :-)

Ian
`has won a competition on the subject'
Old February 4th 05, 07:01 AM
Jeff R.

"Ian" wrote in message
k...
Numismatist wrote:
I have a small Austrailian coin, silver in color, dated 1995 with a

picture
of Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse. The reverse has the number 5 and

what
appears to be an animal head of some kind. Can anyone tell me what coin

this
is?

Thanks.

Yep, Australian 5 cents depicting a spiny echidna...sort of a hedgehog.

...with an alien hiding up its nose. Have a look for yourself..... :-)

Ian
`has won a competition on the subject'

I'll say he did - the rat! I think he won it 10-20 minutes after I posted it!

This is the coin: http://mendosus.com/jpg/5c.jpg
This is the alien: http://mendosus.com/jpg/fragment.jpg which Ian
identified with such alacrity.

Here is the coin in context; i.e. the whole set:
http://mendosus.com/decimal.html

and finally, here is the 2005 set: http://mendosus.com/2005proof.html which
shows which coins are still in circulation (no more bronze ;-( )

--
Jeff R.
(still spending echidnas)

Old February 5th 05, 06:36 PM

Numismatist wrote:

Yep, Australian 5 cents depicting a spiny echidna...sort of a

hedgehog.

Fun fact #1: The echidna, like the platypus, is a monotreme, that is,
an egg-laying mammal. (The echidna and platypus, in fact, are the only
monotremes in existence, and both are native to Australia.)

Fun fact #2: The echidna, unlike most mammals that have been tested,
does not undergo REM sleep- in other words, it apparently does not
dream. There have been attempts by psychologists to relate this fact
to echidna brain structure, but I don't know enough psych to comment on
these studies.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
"Nature trivia 'R us"

Old February 6th 05, 02:09 PM
Numismatist

Fun fact #1: The echidna, like the platypus, is a monotreme, that is,
an egg-laying mammal. (The echidna and platypus, in fact, are the only
monotremes in existence, and both are native to Australia.)

Fun fact #2: The echidna, unlike most mammals that have been tested,
does not undergo REM sleep- in other words, it apparently does not
dream. There have been attempts by psychologists to relate this fact
to echidna brain structure, but I don't know enough psych to comment on
these studies.

-Robert A. DeRose, Jr.
"Nature trivia 'R us"
BRBR

I was aware of fun fact #1 but not #2! You learn something every day. Thanks
Robert!