Panama 20 Balboas

Old May 17th 06, 12:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Panama 20 Balboas

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Bruce Remick" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Having become hooked on those monsterous silver proof Franklin Mint Panama
20 Balboa coins by some posts here and at abpn a while ago, I have seen the
scarcer dates in that 15-coin series offered for sale with comments like
"books at $150". Which "book" might this be, and how recent is it?

Hi Bruce!
I assume they are talking about Krause 200? World Coins 1901- Present.
But I'll be very reluctant in what regards their speed in actualizing their
prices...

I'm trying to complete the set, needing four of the low-mintage ones from
1980 to 1985. I know that they carry a significant premium over the earlier
dates, but never knew where to look to find the relative values.

Well, I am also collecting these beasts and I also need the scarcer ones to
complete my set:-)
http://snipurl.com/lkou
Prices are something subjective with such coins, I've seen them ending at
$80.00 in the past but I am not following them anymore so after the last
silver rally I assume they went up...

Do you or anyone happen to know where in the run from 1971 to 1985 the proof 20
Balboas switched from .925 silver to .500 silver? I'm guessing that the issues
from 1981 through 1985 are all .500 silver, but I don't have a reference that
spells it out. These low mintage later dates all seem to carry a heftier
premium than the earlier ones, so the lower silver content isn't reflected in
the price.

Bruce

Old May 17th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Bruce Remick wrote:
"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

The current SCWC shows the change in 1980. 1971 thru 1979 = .925, 1980 thru
1985 = .500

--
©Ώ©¬
~

Old May 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:
"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks a lot, Ed.