Panama 20 Balboas

Old May 12th 06, 12:13 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Panama 20 Balboas

Having become hooked on those monsterous silver proof Franklin Mint Panama
20 Balboa coins by some posts here and at abpn a while ago, I have seen the
scarcer dates in that 15-coin series offered for sale with comments like "books
at $150". Which "book" might this be, and how recent is it? I'm trying to
complete the set, needing four of the low-mintage ones from 1980 to 1985. I
know that they carry a significant premium over the earlier dates, but never
knew where to look to find the relative values.

I would never (?) have the heart to turn these in for melt value, regardless of
the silver price (at $15/oz, there's over $53 worth of silver in each one). So
at least some will be safe for the time being.

Bruce

Old May 12th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ο "Bruce Remick" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Having become hooked on those monsterous silver proof Franklin Mint
Panama 20 Balboa coins by some posts here and at abpn a while ago, I have
seen the scarcer dates in that 15-coin series offered for sale with
comments like "books at $150". Which "book" might this be, and how recent
is it?

Hi Bruce!
I assume they are talking about Krause 200? World Coins 1901- Present.
But I'll be very reluctant in what regards their speed in actualizing their
prices...

I'm trying to complete the set, needing four of the low-mintage ones from
1980 to 1985. I know that they carry a significant premium over the
earlier dates, but never knew where to look to find the relative values.

Well, I am also collecting these beasts and I also need the scarcer ones to
complete my set:-)
http://snipurl.com/lkou
Prices are something subjective with such coins, I've seen them ending at
$80.00 in the past but I am not following them anymore so after the last
silver rally I assume they went up...

I would never (?) have the heart to turn these in for melt value,
regardless of the silver price (at $15/oz, there's over $53 worth of
silver in each one). So at least some will be safe for the time being.

:-)
Yesterday I found at my local coin shop two Russian 25 Ruble coins at ... 60
euros each which is only a couple of euros over their metal values!
I am thinking in buying them for my oversized coins collection:-)

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Bruce

Old May 12th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message
Ο "Bruce Remick" έγραψε στο μήνυμα
Having become hooked on those monsterous silver proof Franklin Mint Panama
20 Balboa coins by some posts here and at abpn a while ago, I have seen the
scarcer dates in that 15-coin series offered for sale with comments like
"books at $150". Which "book" might this be, and how recent is it?

Hi Bruce!
I assume they are talking about Krause 200? World Coins 1901- Present.
But I'll be very reluctant in what regards their speed in actualizing their
prices...

Thanks. My only Krause book is from the 1960's and doesn't cover these issues.
I occasionally have seen the dates I need (1981-83 and 1985) offered with
three-figure minimums on eBay, but they usually get no bid. The rise in silver
price wouldn't likely affect their value. The ones from 1971-1978 typically
seem to go for a tad over bullion price. Fortunately, I was able to accumulate
a number of them at $30-35 before silver took off.

I'm trying to complete the set, needing four of the low-mintage ones from
1980 to 1985. I know that they carry a significant premium over the earlier
dates, but never knew where to look to find the relative values.

Well, I am also collecting these beasts and I also need the scarcer ones to
complete my set:-)
http://snipurl.com/lkou
Prices are something subjective with such coins, I've seen them ending at
$80.00 in the past but I am not following them anymore so after the last
silver rally I assume they went up...

I presume the 1976 proof only comes boxed with that mini companion coin, and not
all by itself.

I would never (?) have the heart to turn these in for melt value, regardless
of the silver price (at $15/oz, there's over $53 worth of silver in each
one). So at least some will be safe for the time being.

:-)
Yesterday I found at my local coin shop two Russian 25 Ruble coins at ... 60
euros each which is only a couple of euros over their metal values!
I am thinking in buying them for my oversized coins collection:-)

I'm not familiar with that one. None on eBay. A Google search shows only one
silver 25 rubles, a 60mm 2005 Kulikovo Field commem. Is that the one and only?

Bruce

Old May 12th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

IIRC I bought all of them at similar prices, but again that was some time
ago, so I am not quite sure...
(I must finish one day with introducing my coins to CoinManage so I can have
instant info on all of my coins:-().

I'm trying to complete the set, needing four of the low-mintage ones
from 1980 to 1985. I know that they carry a significant premium over
the earlier dates, but never knew where to look to find the relative
values.

Well, I am also collecting these beasts and I also need the scarcer ones
to complete my set:-)
http://snipurl.com/lkou
Prices are something subjective with such coins, I've seen them ending at
$80.00 in the past but I am not following them anymore so after the last
silver rally I assume they went up...

I presume the 1976 proof only comes boxed with that mini companion coin,
and not all by itself.

The 1976 20 Balboa you mean?
I have the 1974 coin and it came alone...

I would never (?) have the heart to turn these in for melt value,
regardless of the silver price (at $15/oz, there's over $53 worth of
silver in each one). So at least some will be safe for the time being.

:-)
Yesterday I found at my local coin shop two Russian 25 Ruble coins at ...
60 euros each which is only a couple of euros over their metal values!
I am thinking in buying them for my oversized coins collection:-)

I'm not familiar with that one.

173.29 grams beasts:-)

None on eBay.

Yes, they show up rarely.

A Google search shows only one silver 25 rubles, a 60mm 2005 Kulikovo
Field commem. Is that the one and only?

Yes, 60 mm diameter and around 5 oz.
There are plenty of them, the ones my dealer had are the 1999 Pushkin coin
and the 1999 Russian ballet, both with a 3,000 mintage.
Both listed for $175 in my 2003 Krause.

Old May 12th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

It was the 1976 Proof 20 Balboas that comes in a two coin set in a rectangular
case, along with a tiny, 10mm, two and a half centesimo coin. I have never seen
the 1976 Proof in a case by itself like all the other dates and wondered if it
was only issued as part of this two-coin set.

Bruce

Old May 12th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message
[...]

They must have been issued in sets only. My SCWC says that the total
mintage for the proof 20 Balboa in 1976 was 22,000 (10,610 in a nine coin
set - PS-15 and 11,479 in the two coin set - PS-17. However, I have a
matte finish 1976 that was issued as an individual coin with a mintage of
2,500.

--
©Ώ©¬
~

Old May 15th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message

I presume the 1976 proof only comes boxed with that mini companion coin,
and not all by itself.

The 1976 20 Balboa you mean?
I have the 1974 coin and it came alone...

It was the 1976 Proof 20 Balboas that comes in a two coin set in a
rectangular case, along with a tiny, 10mm, two and a half centesimo coin.
I have never seen the 1976 Proof in a case by itself like all the other
dates and wondered if it was only issued as part of this two-coin set.

I see, no I haven't this one, I am collecting "type" so I need only one
specimen from each design and the 1974 was cheap...

Old May 16th 06, 12:10 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"gogu" wrote in message

I presume the 1976 proof only comes boxed with that mini companion coin,
and not all by itself.

The 1976 20 Balboa you mean?
I have the 1974 coin and it came alone...

It was the 1976 Proof 20 Balboas that comes in a two coin set in a
rectangular case, along with a tiny, 10mm, two and a half centesimo coin.
I have never seen the 1976 Proof in a case by itself like all the other
dates and wondered if it was only issued as part of this two-coin set.

I see, no I haven't this one, I am collecting "type" so I need only one
specimen from each design and the 1974 was cheap...

Yeah you like CHEAP don't you BITCH !

Old May 17th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In s5_8g.11497$8q.192@dukeread08, on 05/12/2006
at 07:13 AM, "Bruce Remick" said:

Having become hooked on those monsterous silver proof Franklin Mint
Panama 20 Balboa coins by some posts here and at abpn a while ago, I have
seen the scarcer dates in that 15-coin series offered for sale with
comments like "books at $150". Which "book" might this be, and how recent
is it? I'm trying to complete the set, needing four of the low-mintage
ones from 1980 to 1985. I know that they carry a significant premium over
the earlier dates, but never knew where to look to find the relative
values.

Don't know about "book values", but I sold my set of single 20 Balboas
sometime last year. Posted the link here and they were discussed quite a
bit. I was quite surprised at the prices a couple of them fetched. And
this was before the fairly recent silver frenzy.

A couple of months ago I decided I no longer collect proof/mint sets. I
never really did; I purchased a rather large hoard when a former neighbor
passed away (purchased his whole "coin" estate). Sold some US stuff but
kept all of the non-US material. I even added quite a bit to the
"collection", purchasing a large lot or 2 or 3 from RCC'ers. Alas, they've
done nothing but sit in boxes. Even after selling off some of the loose
singles last year, and swearing what was left would see more attention.
Instead, I've rekindled interest in another old hobby (stamps). While I'm
not planning on dumping any coins other than these, and I'm still planning
on the ANA and expanding my bust half and Taler collection this year, I'm
going to start parting out my Proof/Mint set collection.

I've been procrastinating big-time, tho. A couple of Sundays have passed
without a listing. I think I even missed a recent 10 cent listing day!
Whatever. I'll start listing soon.

Included in my holdings are some 9 piece Panama proof sets, which include
the 20 Balboa coins. I have earlier sets before this coins was invented ...
but I have the sets from (checking ... ) 1975 through 1980 with the monster
silver pieces.

My perhaps-inaccurate online list is here, Australia - Uganda:

http://www.mr2ice.com/coins/proofsets.htm

Ignore the wording that talks about wanting more sets . The UK section
isn't itemized, but I have doubles and in sole case triples of some sets.
The Panama and UK sets have always been my favorites (and most
personally-expanded countries), with certain Canadian sets somewhere as
third.

Anyway, if anyone sees something that tickles their fancy, please let me
know. I'll list them on eBay if asked to, or would even entertain
(reasonable) offers.

Nick
Old May 17th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Nick Knight" wrote in news:446a6fba$3$avpx
:

http://www.mr2ice.com/coins/proofsets.htm

I've considered a Belize set. I just like birds on coins I should get
the Krause book and learn more about them.