Gold Sovereigns

Old May 10th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Gold Sovereigns

Thanks - I've got the 28mm one.
Nick

"Tony Clayton" wrote in message
In a recent message "Nick Summers" wrote:

Could someone tell me how to tell the difference between a half

sovereign
(uk) and a sovereign. I have a coin book but the details are not

sufficient
to determine what's what. I've got a 1937 George V1 gold something or

other
with no perforated edge and I'm trying to work out how much it is worth.

Nick

A Google search on 'UK COIN SIZES' produces my web site in 3rd place out

of
5280000 entries, where there is an index to help you.

Half sovereign 19.0 mm diameter
Sovereign 22.0 mm diameter
Two pounds 28.0 mm diameter
5 pounds 37.0 mm diameter

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :

Old May 10th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Wow, a good coin!

oly

Old May 11th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

? "Mike" ?????? ??? ??????
. ..
gogu wrote:

Yes, 1937 sovereigns did NOT have a reeded edge.

Oly, I have a couple of doubles I would like to sell, most of them
Edwards, are there any dates that are rare?
Thanks!

No. All came as proofs, one year only. If it's a Eddie VII then it's a one
year type again (1902), but the kicker is the Syndey one (S on the coin,
often fako). There is also a proof which goes for about $200 or so more
than the circulation grade one.

Mine are all regular (no proofs, I don't know if in that time proofs were
made at all...) and the
dates a

Edward:
1902
1902 P
1905 (probably a P but I am not sure, it can even be an .. S:-))
1906
1906 P
1907
1907 P
1910

I also have doubles:
two George 1918 I.
two George 1912 P
one George 1918 P
one George 1911 (a nice BU)
one George 1913 (also a nice BU)
two Victoria 1898 and 1899 but in XF condition....

(I also have one Canadian 1917-C but I am not selling this one;-))

Now, what do you think, is there any rarity among them?
Do they worth more than bullion?
Is it worth to put them on e-Bay?

tnx

--

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure
in codesto reame debban risolversi tutte con grandi

Coins, travels and mo http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/golanule/my_photos
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

Mike

Old May 11th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

gogu wrote:

Mine are all regular (no proofs, I don't know if in that time proofs were
made at all...) and the
dates a

Edward:
1902
1902 P
1905 (probably a P but I am not sure, it can even be an .. S:-))
1906
1906 P
1907
1907 P
1910

Only rarity in the Ed VII are the -C ones. Since you listed some
date-mint combos that do not exist as half sovereigns I assume these are
Sovs.

I also have doubles:
two George 1918 I.
two George 1912 P
one George 1918 P
one George 1911 (a nice BU)
one George 1913 (also a nice BU)
two Victoria 1898 and 1899 but in XF condition...

Other than 1911 proofs no double sovereigns were made for G VI. Only 2
pound coin was in 1993 (MS and proof)for OH Vicky. Suggests that these
are actually sovereigns (or uhh.. something else).

(I also have one Canadian 1917-C but I am not selling this one;-))

Now, what do you think, is there any rarity among them?
Do they worth more than bullion?
Is it worth to put them on e-Bay?

tnx

The 1918-I seems to sell nicely... rest sells for bullion +/- some,
usually shipping on eBay. Is it worth putting anything on eBay?
Different question. If youdo not collect them you should/could treat
them as bullion.

Mike
Old May 11th 06, 12:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

In a recent message Mike wrote:

gogu wrote:

Mine are all regular (no proofs, I don't know if in that time proofs were
made at all...) and the
dates a

Edward:
1902
1902 P
1905 (probably a P but I am not sure, it can even be an .. S:-))
1906
1906 P
1907
1907 P
1910

Only rarity in the Ed VII are the -C ones. Since you listed some
date-mint combos that do not exist as half sovereigns I assume these are
Sovs.

I also have doubles:

Surely you mean sovereigns?

two George 1918 I.
two George 1912 P
one George 1918 P
one George 1911 (a nice BU)
one George 1913 (also a nice BU)
two Victoria 1898 and 1899 but in XF condition...

Other than 1911 proofs no double sovereigns were made for G VI.

George V not VI.

Only 2 pound coin was in 1993 (MS and proof)for OH Vicky.

1893 surely. Finger problems no doubt!

Suggests that these
are actually sovereigns (or uhh.. something else).

(I also have one Canadian 1917-C but I am not selling this one;-))

Now, what do you think, is there any rarity among them?
Do they worth more than bullion?
Is it worth to put them on e-Bay?

tnx

The 1918-I seems to sell nicely... rest sells for bullion +/- some,
usually shipping on eBay. Is it worth putting anything on eBay?
Different question. If youdo not collect them you should/could treat
them as bullion.

Mike

--
Tony Clayton
Coins of the UK :
http://www.coinsoftheuk.info
Sent using RISCOS on an Acorn Strong Arm RiscPC
.... Television is so dull that children are doing their homework.
Old May 11th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

gogu wrote:

Only 2 pound coin was in 1993 (MS and proof)for OH Vicky.

1893 surely. Finger problems no doubt!

No, 1993, it's in anticipation of Vicky coming back from the dead to
rule again before Charles can ascend to the throne. It's known as the
death head issue and features a skull and crown motif on the obverse.
The reverse, rather than the usual St. George, features Death
personified as one of the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse (adapted
liberally from A. Duerer.) Since the Blair government has bankrupted the
country it is issued in the finest gold plated lead.

No?

Mike
Old May 11th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

? "Mike" ?????? ??? ??????
. ..
gogu wrote:

Mine are all regular (no proofs, I don't know if in that time proofs were
made at all...) and the
dates a

Edward:
1902
1902 P
1905 (probably a P but I am not sure, it can even be an .. S:-))
1906
1906 P
1907
1907 P
1910

Only rarity in the Ed VII are the -C ones. Since you listed some date-mint
combos that do not exist as half sovereigns I assume these are Sovs.

Yes, they are full Sovereigns, sorry I didn't mention it.

I also have doubles:
two George 1918 I.
two George 1912 P
one George 1918 P
one George 1911 (a nice BU)
one George 1913 (also a nice BU)
two Victoria 1898 and 1899 but in XF condition...

Other than 1911 proofs no double sovereigns were made for G VI. Only 2
pound coin was in 1993 (MS and proof)for OH Vicky. Suggests that these are
actually sovereigns (or uhh.. something else).

Full Sovereigns as I said above.

(I also have one Canadian 1917-C but I am not selling this one;-))

Now, what do you think, is there any rarity among them?
Do they worth more than bullion?
Is it worth to put them on e-Bay?

tnx

The 1918-I seems to sell nicely...

Do they reach, say $180.00 today?

rest sells for bullion +/- some, usually shipping on eBay.

Even the Australian P Sovereigns?
I've always thought the sell better...

Is it worth putting anything on eBay?
Different question. If youdo not collect them you should/could treat them
as bullion.

Hmmm ... in that case I think it's better to sell them to my local
jeweler...
But I hate to sell them for bullion, I'd like to see them in the hands of a
collector...
Oh, decisions, decisions...

Tnx!

Old May 11th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Ο "Tony Clayton" έγραψε στο μήνυμα

gogu wrote:

Mine are all regular (no proofs, I don't know if in that time proofs
were
made at all...) and the
dates a

Edward:
1902
1902 P
1905 (probably a P but I am not sure, it can even be an .. S:-))
1906
1906 P
1907
1907 P
1910

Only rarity in the Ed VII are the -C ones. Since you listed some
date-mint combos that do not exist as half sovereigns I assume these are
Sovs.

I also have doubles:

Surely you mean sovereigns?

OK, OK, my bad English again, sorry guys:-)
When I said "doubles" I wanted to say that I had two times the same coin:-)
All the coins I am talking about are full Sovereigns.

Old May 12th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Tony Clayton wrote:

Certainly Gordon Brown generously (!) sold a lot of UK gold when
the price was particularly low!

In the Bill Clinton Wonder Economics years everyone said gold is dead,
totally dead, never to rear it's head again. In a way that was true
considering the reserves that are out there. Those are still there...
we're experiencing the George Bush Wonder Economics.. gold and oil are
up up up!!! Now, who has a lot of those?

Mike

FS - a few "Gold" cards Dogger Hockey 0 December 6th 04 07:15 PM
Want To Trade These For..., James T. Murdock Jr. Hockey 0 December 4th 04 03:34 PM
TAKE A L@@K PART I! 66% to 75% OFF OVER 10,000 CARDS Rose Hockey 0 February 1st 04 02:12 PM
CHRISTMAS SALE II! 66% to 75% OFF BOOK VALUE Rose Hockey 0 November 30th 03 02:03 PM
4 Sale - McDonalds/All years C Dean Hockey 0 October 6th 03 11:24 PM