Another 1933 Saint Story

Old September 8th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

Default Another 1933 Saint Story

I guess it shouldn't surprise me how much misinformation and flat out
lies are out there concerning one of our most beloved coins. I
started reading the comments on the article, attempting to provide the
correct info, but it just got out of hand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D202636

If it wraps, try http://tinyurl.com/9lsan7n

Jerry
Retired 1933 Saint Guru
Old September 9th 12, 03:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Frank Galikanokus

Jerry Dennis wrote:

I guess it shouldn't surprise me how much misinformation and flat out
lies are out there concerning one of our most beloved coins. I
started reading the comments on the article, attempting to provide the
correct info, but it just got out of hand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D202636

If it wraps, try http://tinyurl.com/9lsan7n

Jerry
Retired 1933 Saint Guru

Ignorance has become a virtue in the land of the free.

JAM
Old September 9th 12, 04:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...awsuit-gold-co...

If it wraps, tryhttp://tinyurl.com/9lsan7n

Jerry
Retired 1933 Saint Guru

Ignorance has become a virtue in the land of the free.

JAM

So what is the story we are not hearing/reading?
Old September 9th 12, 07:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
R S H

Read

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1862151.html

Old September 10th 12, 01:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

wrote:

Jerry Dennis wrote:

I guess it shouldn't surprise me how much misinformation and flat out
lies are out there concerning one of our most beloved coins. *I
started reading the comments on the article, attempting to provide the
correct info, but it just got out of hand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...awsuit-gold-co....

If it wraps, tryhttp://tinyurl.com/9lsan7n

Jerry
Retired 1933 Saint Guru

Ignorance has become a virtue in the land of the free.

JAM

So what is the story we are not hearing/reading?- Hide quoted text -

Without a shred of evidence available to me, I have always assumed
that the Langbord family had rather more than 10 specimens. Hopefully
these are now safely in Canada or Switzerland.

Someday the 1933 Saint and the 1964-D Peace $ will be legal, but maybe
not in my lifetime.

oly
Old September 10th 12, 09:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Paul Ciszek

In article ,
Jerry Dennis wrote:
I guess it shouldn't surprise me how much misinformation and flat out
lies are out there concerning one of our most beloved coins. I
started reading the comments on the article, attempting to provide the
correct info, but it just got out of hand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...6pLid%3D202636

Is this "another" story? I thought this same story had been reported ad
nauseum, and referenced here, for a very long time now.

Old September 11th 12, 01:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

wrote:

Jerry Dennis wrote:

I guess it shouldn't surprise me how much misinformation and flat out
lies are out there concerning one of our most beloved coins. *I
started reading the comments on the article, attempting to provide the
correct info, but it just got out of hand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...awsuit-gold-co...

If it wraps, tryhttp://tinyurl.com/9lsan7n

Jerry
Retired 1933 Saint Guru

Ignorance has become a virtue in the land of the free.

JAM

So what is the story we are not hearing/reading?- Hide quoted text -

Without a shred of evidence available to me, I have always assumed
that the Langbord family had rather more than 10 specimens. *Hopefully
these are now safely in Canada or Switzerland.

Someday the 1933 Saint and the 1964-D Peace $ will be legal, but maybe
not in my lifetime.

oly- Hide quoted text -

Current evidence allows that, initially, 22 (so far) were saved from
the smelter. The first 10 were discovered during a major search and
seizure by the Secret Service during the 1930s and 1940s. The Farouk
example, the only one legal to own, was one of those ten. The other
nine were melted. Two were pulled for the Smithsonian's collection
prior to melting, and these ten, currently held in "protective
custody" at Fort Knox (last I knew).

Jerry
Old September 11th 12, 02:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Sep 10, 4:38*pm, (Paul Ciszek) wrote:
In article ,
Jerry Dennis wrote:

I guess it shouldn't surprise me how much misinformation and flat out
lies are out there concerning one of our most beloved coins. *I
started reading the comments on the article, attempting to provide the
correct info, but it just got out of hand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...awsuit-gold-co...

Is this "another" story? *I thought this same story had been reported ad
nauseum, and referenced here, for a very long time now.

Same story, just an update. Get a federal judge involved in a case
against the government, and he'll rule in favor of the government
every time. At least this time, according to the article, the "window
of opportunity (March 15 - April 4, 1933)" was brought up. Still, the
judge ignored the evidence and ruled in favor of the government.

As an aside that isn't in the news, when these ten were first reported
and confiscated, I wrote my rep in DC imploring him to stop the feds
from melting them. He said he'd heard from the Secretary of the
Treasury, Treasurer, Mint Director or some other honcho (I don't
remember who) who said that, because of the historic significance of
these coins, even though they are not legal tender, they would be held
in the vaults at Fort Knox, as they are, as bullion, and would not be
destroyed.

Jerry
Old September 11th 12, 05:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

wrote:

Jerry Dennis wrote:

[...]

I wonder still, what will the government do with the 10 they have now?
Melt them down or will they sell them?
Old September 11th 12, 12:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

If they sold them their value would be diluted, although still unafforable to most of us!
Jim