Attn: Writers' Unit 30 members

Old July 8th 03, 12:05 AM
Ada Prill

Default Attn: Writers' Unit 30 members

Please don't throw away your ballots. There are no contested races,
but I have been told that Ken Trettin has agreed to be a write-in candidate
for WU30 president.

I do not know Mr. Trettin, but I from what I have heard of him, I
consider him a far better choice than the official candidate, Peter Martin,
who already has a number of philatelic jobs and was the person responsible
for the "buy an ad and we'll endorse you" editorial in First Days. Please
consider writing in Ken Trettin's name for WU30 president.

Ada M. Prill

Old July 8th 03, 02:42 AM
Tracy Barber

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:05:30 GMT, "Ada Prill"
wrote:

Please don't throw away your ballots. There are no contested races,
but I have been told that Ken Trettin has agreed to be a write-in candidate
for WU30 president.

I do not know Mr. Trettin, but I from what I have heard of him, I
consider him a far better choice than the official candidate, Peter Martin,
who already has a number of philatelic jobs and was the person responsible
for the "buy an ad and we'll endorse you" editorial in First Days. Please
consider writing in Ken Trettin's name for WU30 president.

Ada, can you please fill us in on what a WU30 president is?

I have conferred with Mr. Trettin in the [R_C] mailing list several
times over the past few years and seems to be a reasonable fellow. I
do not know Peter Martin.

Thanks!

Tracy Barber
Old July 8th 03, 05:09 AM
Ada Prill

I have replied in a private e-mail to Tracy already, not realizing that his
note was also posted. In truth, the Writers Unit 30 president does not have
a lot of duties, but I think s/he can help make the Philatelic Communicator
livlier by having something substantive to say in each issue. I am greatly
troubled by the use Mr. Martin has made of his position with the American
First Day Cover Society, and I would prefer to see someone else as president
of WU 30.

Ada

Old July 9th 03, 01:29 PM
Stephen G. Esrati

I had quit the Writers' Unit many years ago because I found that most of
the "writers" never wrote beans and had no perception of what it was all
about to write weekly for Linn's and almost monthly for The American
Philatelist. Nor would they do battle for those of us who were in the
trenches as to rights and as to remuneration.
I rejoined when Ken Lawrence took on the editorship of The Philatelic
Communicator. But then I made the mistake of going to a writers'
breakfast during an APS Stampshow. Here, again, I saw that most of the
writers were people who never wrote a thing. A couple of guys had
contributed an occasional scholarly work (like "The 2-cent red with a
straight edge on the right" or "A history of the post office in Lower
Slobbovia, N.Y.")
No wonder that the stamp writer for the Washington Post, Belmont Faries,
could not abide Unit 30 and started his own writers' group, made up of
people who actually write. Alas, it died with him.

--
Stephen G. Esrati
PO Box 20130

Old July 9th 03, 05:33 PM
Ada Prill

Steve, I was probably one of the "non-writers" whose presence at that
breakfast disturbed you. I never thought of WU30 only being for the top
echelon of writers - there was a place for the aspiring writer and the
occasional writer as well. I think that's a good thing. If the focus is too
narrow, the potential membership is too small to support a great journal
(which WU30 had under Ken's editorship) or to have any actual clout in
advocating for writers, which it formerly had, under Charlie Peterson's
leadership, and I hope will again. Too small a group has little chance of
surviving its strongest leader, as was the case with the organization you
mention. Broadening the scope a bit enables WU30 to survive over the years -
and with luck to thrive once again someday.

Ada

Old July 10th 03, 02:03 AM
Stephen G. Esrati

How would I know? Did you sign it with this pseudonym? If so, I have not
seen it. If not, what name was on the article?

Albumen wrote:

p.s. Stephen - Have you seen my article on clipped perforations? :-)

--
Stephen G. Esrati
PO Box 20130

Old July 10th 03, 04:26 AM
ron walenciak

While I am not a member, I had thought of joining (prodded by Lloyd
deVries).

I am not a writer in the form that you mention, nor am I looking for someone
to go to bat for me for remuneration. I am the editor of a quarterly society
publication, and I think that like most editors of small-society (about five
hundred members) publications , I end up writing a lot of the articles

Is there a place in the Writers' Unit for "us"?

Ron

--
Ron Walenciak
Editor, The Page & Panel Journal

The American Society for Philatelic Pages & Panels
is the only society for collectors of Souvenir Pages,
Commemorative Panels, and Stamp Posters. See us at http://www.asppp.org !

We are an affiliate of the APS and an AFDCS Chapter.

Old July 10th 03, 04:03 PM
Ada Prill

"ron walenciak" wrote in message
While I am not a member, I had thought of joining (prodded by Lloyd
deVries).

I am not a writer in the form that you mention, nor am I looking for

someone
to go to bat for me for remuneration. I am the editor of a quarterly

society
publication, and I think that like most editors of small-society (about

five
hundred members) publications , I end up writing a lot of the articles

Is there a place in the Writers' Unit for "us"?

In my opinion, YES. WU30 should go to bat for its professionals, of course.
But it should also be a place where volunteer writers/editors/publishers can
learn from the pros and each other. That's not a conflict of interest in my
view. Good writing helps the hobby, whether it is done on a weekly basis as
a profession or a couple of times a year to help out. Poor writing confuses
and frustrates people and gives a poor impression of our hobby. And the next
generation of professionals is probably out there editing newsletters and
writing press releases. WU30 can help the occasional writer become a
frequent writer, and, in some cases, eventually a professional. WU30 helps
the aspiring writer learn how to deal with the demands of being a "real"
writer. By all means, join. You can help revitalize a once-dynamic group
that has started to grow stale. Good writers mean informed readers. What
could be more important to a hobby that requires thought and information?

Old July 11th 03, 04:19 PM
Albumen

In writing about the papers of the first perforated issue I included a
segment on the clipping of perforations. (AP Nov. 2001, "The Problem
Papers").

Please forgive; I was just having a little fun with your reference to arcane
articles.

-al