help grading a Morgan please

Old February 8th 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Default help grading a Morgan please

celtex wrote:
Newbie trying to understand the grading process. What is your best
guess at the grading of this coin? I hope pictures are good enough
for your guess. Thanks!
Jim

This photograph is better than the last one, in that it is a much smaller
size. However, I must repeat that posting pictures to rec.collecting.coins
is not allowed. Obviously, you can ignore the warning, but you will gain
little respect and few friends by doing it.

Your coin appears to have the sharpness of at least an EF, maybe even an AU,
but beyond that, the image is so badly exposed that it is impossible to tell
anything more. If I had to guess, I'say that it has been cleaned, it has
some rim damage on the reverse, and a stain of some kind on the obverse.
Any one of those problems would prevent it from getting into a respected
slab.

James

Old February 8th 09, 07:22 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MKW

Whats wrong with posting relevant pictures? Not even links to
pictures?? I mean coin collecting is all about what can be seen.

Old February 8th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

On Feb 8, 1:22Â*am, MKW wrote:
Whats wrong with posting relevant pictures? Â*Not even links to
pictures?? Â*I mean coin collecting is all about what can be seen.

LINKS to pictures are fine. Many people do that.

Here's a LINK to a picture of a coin from JULIUS CAESAR
http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/imp/j...r/RSC_0022.jpg

There is a newsgroup, alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic that some
people can access. (I cannot.)

What does not work is attempting to post a picture directly, to imbed
it with the text of a post. The Usenet Newsgroups go back before the
WorldWide Web, which was created in 1993. At root, the newsgroups are
a 7-bit system, so often you will see that character like the
¥ Yen £ Pound € Euro ₣ Franc
simply do not appear but you can see where they should be if they
did.

In any event, when you try to imbed a picture, all you get is strings
of character-based gibberish as the software translates the JPEG (GIF,
etc) into text.

Mike M.
MIchael E. Marotta
Technical Writer

Old February 9th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
celtex

celtex wrote:
[...]

Would you venture guess on value of this coin?

Old February 9th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "celtex" wrote:

celtex wrote:
[...]

after you apologize for trashing a text group?
Old February 9th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

celtex wrote:
celtex wrote:
[...]

Coin World Values quotes the value of an 1896 dollar in AU-50 at $35. In
light of the likely cleaning and apparent damage, it would have to bring
less. How much less is impossible to determine without the coin in hand.
Part of the problem is that unmolested examples of this date are readily
available, so a dealer is not going to have a market for it. I'd suggest
you take it to a coin shop, though, and see what a dealer would pay for it.
Don't be offended if he offers you bullion value. You can then decide
whether to save or sell.

If you are indeed new to the hobby, there's a lot to learn! Equip yourself
with a few basic books, such as the Guide Book of United States Coins (a/k/a
the Redbook) and one of the several books on grading coins that are
available at most bigger bookstores. Then read them! Good luck, and let us
know how this all sorts out.

James

Old February 9th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
celtex

wrote in message
news
In article , "celtex"

celtex wrote:
[...]

I did in earlier post... I am not worthy.. I am lowly snail... I am ...never
mind...

Old February 9th 09, 04:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "celtex" wrote:
wrote in message
news
In article , "celtex"

celtex wrote:
[...]

ah, flyswatter, we see the futility of electrodden.
are you alice cooper?
Old February 9th 09, 11:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

Hey Celtex, just post your pictures using www.photobucket.com , the
site is pretty self explanatory and if you do have any question just
asked.

Guess to grading on my 1896 Morgan Mr. Jaggers Coins 2 February 7th 09 06:18 AM
New Morgan Grading company? ???? Coins 9 September 6th 06 08:20 PM
Morgan dollar grading question. gogu Coins 6 October 19th 05 12:44 AM
Grading GSA Morgan CCs xnt023 Coins 2 October 12th 05 11:56 PM
Help on grading my Morgan 1896 needed Bob Hairgrove Coins 5 October 10th 05 11:49 PM