how to make soccer and ice hockey popular in the US

Old June 28th 05, 02:35 AM
RichA

On 27 Jun 2005 16:20:45 -0700, "rst" wrote:

Americans are generally not bright. They like to see scoring. It's
why they ruined baseball- by making the fields smaller, making the ball
differently so it travels farther.

Soccer is a beautiful game to most of the rest of the world. It's
where scoring is still a special moment that is savored by the fans as
well as the players.

Americans don't get this. They have short attention spans. They
actually want to see commercials as well- that way they can get up from
the couch and get another bag of Cheetos and a big gulp Mountain Dew
(which is an appetizer for dinner: two giant Dominos pizzas with
everything on it and cheese stuffed into the crust-- and more Mountain
Dew... and nachos).

No one in the world tries to retool its sports more than the U.S.
Because the owners are accountants and have no idea what sports are all
about. It's why the NFL is now unwatchable, baseball is horrible, the
NBA is barely a sport anymore, and hockey is a nightmare. All of these
sports were once great. But they were ruined by greed.

In the rest of the world soccer is left alone- because it is perfect.

Soccer scoring is too infrequent.
Basketball is a JOKE
Football and Hockey are superior to both.
-Rich
Old June 28th 05, 04:58 AM
mark

While recovering from a recent, uncomfortable transmembrification,
Pariah ) was heard to remark...
On 27 Jun 2005 16:20:45 -0700, "rst" wrote:

In the rest of the world soccer is left alone- because it is perfect.

Perfectly lame. If any sport needs tweaking, it would be the sport
where there's a very good chance the final score will be 0-0.

You just responded to a blatant troll dissing Americans for their short
attention spans and inability to appreciate beautiful sports... with a
post expressing a short attention span and an inability to appreciate
beautiful sports?

Does USENET work differently in your neck of the woods, or is this some
kind of grifting job? "Respond to the troll, my mate did it, it's
easy".

(F'ups set)

--
"Dear me, what a strange place to put a walrus!"
- Baron Greenback, /Danger Mouse/

Old June 28th 05, 01:13 PM
Don Estabrook

Despite being a PROUD CANADIAN, I would like to come to the defense of the
AMERICAN-bashing that has taken over the soccer-hockey-baseball-football
debate. Putting Americans down and stereotyping them as "generally not
bright" with "short attention spans" is not only insulting, but downright
wrong. The problem with US sports, is not Americans, but CORPORATE AMERICA,
that views sports simply as a money-making venture.
Thanks,
Don

Old June 28th 05, 02:55 PM
Alastair

So shall we rename this topic to "Popular in Corporate America!"?
So does that mean that the "Normal" Americans do everything that
"Corporate" Americans tell them too?
Is that not classed as then being "not very bright"?

Alastair

PS This is not necessarily my thinking, but just a loop-hole in your
argument that I spotted :-)

Old June 29th 05, 12:25 AM
Don Estabrook

I think that "Popular in corporate America" is defnitely the route that the
debate was taking. I would definitely agree that the corporate influence is
much greater on everyday life in the US than in most other countries. In my
opinion, that would classify them more as "brainwashed" than "not very
bright"! After all, that would be indicating that Germans are "not very
bright" for following Hitler!

--
Thanks,
Don
oups.com...

Old June 29th 05, 07:53 AM
Major ChrisB

"Pete" wrote in message
In article ,
Major ChrisB wrote:
As a Brit who's not a big sports fan but will watch the occational
"soccer"
came I would like to comment on two of the US's favourite past times.
Baseball: i have seen one baseball game live in my life. The Atlanta
Braves
vrs the Yankees at Yankee stadium. We got there at the top of the second
with a 0-0 score. Two and half hours later it was about 4-2 to the Braves
and only in the bottom of the 7th.....bored ****less we all left. the
most
exciting thing about the game was when the guys came out at half time to
sweep the gravel on the diamond and did a little dance....oh yeah and our
discussion about how Major League made baseball look so much more
exciting.

As a (mostly) Canadian who grew up in England, I think if you're going to
diss baseball, you can't ignore cricket! (:-)) I was forced to *play*
the bloody game at school. Talk about being bored out of one's mind...
['Course it didn't help that I was pretty hopeless at it.] Fortunately
I soon escaped to the tennis set. (And Fives in the winter instead of
equally unpleasant Rugby. Fives? .. Like handball, except that the ball
is more like a teeny tiny baseball. Great game, though.]

I've never heard if "fives" but I agree with you that Cricket is very
boring. We dont play it in my neck of the woods, it's a very english thing
to play - I'm in Scotland.

As for Rugby, I'm not a fan but thats mostly coz again, in Scotland, it's
not played at any major level. We have a good national squad but at local
Club level it's all amature leagues....England and Wales are much more into
their Rugby which is the original American Football (only the pussy yanks
put in 150lbs of pads and changed to rules to avoid getting hurt)

Football: or as we brits call it "American Football" (we call Soccer
football - coz you actually use your feet a lot) Now I've never mustered
the
courage to go to a live game but from what I've seen on TV you get about 3
minutes of actuall play in about 4 hours....which is pretty ****.

Agree totally on this one. Can't stand the game.

[...] Soccer is hands down the better game, much more enjoyable and I'd
say
it equates to watching the season finale of 24 vrs watching the season
finale of 7th heaven

Agreed, but I like *playing* soccer even more!

a 0-0 draw doesn't happen too often and it's all part of the game.

The 'low-scoring' argument people make against soccer, I just don't get.
Beaseball scores can be just as low [except for last night's 16-0 blowout
by the A's over the Giants! (:-)]. And American Football scores are only
high because so many points arrive in a lump. Basketball is almost the
reverse because it's the *missed* baskets that are significant; otherwise
each team seems to score almost every time they have the ball.

Now I know there is strategy with both
hockey and soccer but it just doesn't
translate well to an American audience for some reason.

Americans are are all slow and half-tards?

Nah... it's almost entirely the 'Not_Invented-Here' thing. And the fact
that the nets can't insert all those commercials easily. (But most kids
play the game, so all hope is not lost.)

Nothing was invented there. Everything (and i mean everything) in american
culture was invented somewhere else. From the British and Irish (who
populised the US) to the Spanish (who discovered the US) to the Africans
(who were dragged to the US) there is nothing "american" about anything in
"american" beyond what they've got from other races and *******ised to make
it seem like an original idea.

Old June 29th 05, 09:17 AM
Jens Stigson

"Don Estabrook" wrote in message ...
I think that "Popular in corporate America" is defnitely the route that the
debate was taking. I would definitely agree that the corporate influence is
much greater on everyday life in the US than in most other countries. In my
opinion, that would classify them more as "brainwashed" than "not very
bright"! After all, that would be indicating that Germans are "not very
bright" for following Hitler!

--
Thanks,
Don
"Alastair" wrote in message
oups.com...
So shall we rename this topic to "Popular in Corporate America!"?
So does that mean that the "Normal" Americans do everything that
"Corporate" Americans tell them too?
Is that not classed as then being "not very bright"?

Alastair

PS This is not necessarily my thinking, but just a loop-hole in your
argument that I spotted :-)

Football (i'm a European and i don't like to use soccer as it's a game
played with the feet mainly and Football is the name used worldwide)
and Ice Hockey are as difficult to be popular in North America as
Baseball and American Football are in Europe. TV Companies have tried
hard to get the North American sports popular over here in Europe but
it just doesn't work as the sports has no traditional roots here.
Guess it's the same with Football and Ice Hockey (in USA), even though
i know that many kids plays Football in North America. But it needs
more than that the women wins the gold to do it and the men's team
will never win a gold in World Cup.

A 0-0 draw can actually be a great game (but many are boring too, but
so can a 2-0 game be too). The best 0-0 game i know was in a World Cup
Qualifier (Wembley Stadium, 65'628 spectators) between England and
Sweden back in October 1988 when Swedish defender Glenn Hysén (later
in Liverpool) truly owned that game. In the biggest Swedish newspaper,
Aftonbladet, he is the only ever to receive a 6+ grade (the scale only
reaches to 5+) in any sports (and we do have bigger legends in sports
than Hysén). Not many Swedes reads this thread i guess, but if they do
i am sure that they would agree with me.

And no, i don't agree to that the other nationality is more stupid
than the rest. It's not just that simple.

+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=-
Jens Stigson,
Styxon Hockeycards,
http://www.styxon.tk/
BidVille, http://www.bidville.com/browse/?index=7&vt=0&uid=108512
eBay, http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/styxon/
Tradera, http://www.tradera.se/category/aucti...p?ftgnr=126464
+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=--=+=-
Old June 29th 05, 04:13 PM

Football (i'm a European and i don't like to use soccer as it's a game
played with the feet mainly

If this is a real sore point, maybe we could all agree to call it
"mainly-feetball" or "anything-but-armsball".

I'll never figure out why anybody cares whether you call it football,
futbol, soccer, or Howard. We all know what we're talking about here.

-- kov

Old June 29th 05, 11:44 PM
simon

In message . com,
fruitbat writes
AIUI, "soccer" was originally a British term anyway. That American
football very rarely uses the foot on the ball is admittedly pretty
silly, but sometimes it seems that it's merely the fact that the term
"soccer" is still used here that irks the rest of the world, which in
my opinion is ridiculous.

In fact the term 'football' has nothing to do with using the foot on the
ball, but was first used to distinguish games played with feet on the
ground, as opposed to on horseback. 'Football' as played in the C17th
involved moving the ball towards the other team's goal by any means
possible, including carrying it.
The term 'soccer' originated in Britain in the late C19th as a way of
distinguishing As_soc_iation from rugby football.

Really all these football fans should know this stuff by now.

--
Simon