Romania postmarks.

Old June 11th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Romania postmarks.

Just a couple of a more unusual shape/format,
dispensing with the CDS.
possibly a rail strike.

http://cjoint.com/data/gleMPRn4jL.htm
"Targoviste"
(Home town of our friend, "Vlad the Impaler")
Perhaps Dracula was sending off his remittance to the blood bank.

Old June 11th 09, 04:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 10, 10:44*pm, "rodney" wrote:
Just a couple of a more unusual shape/format,
dispensing with the CDS.
possibly a rail strike.

http://cjoint.com/data/gleMPRn4jL.htm
"Targoviste"
(Home town of our friend, "Vlad the Impaler")
Perhaps Dracula was sending off his remittance to the blood bank.

It looks more like a revenue or parcel cancel to me.

Here is the Târgoviște, historic post office building.
http://www.pbase.com/xerius/image/109451220

Blair
Old June 11th 09, 04:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Cheers Blair,
I'll have them alongside the "MANDATE" cancellations then.
Nice GPO, not unlike the style of the 1930's PO in Perth
only single storied.
Rod.

Old June 11th 09, 05:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_4_]

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:23:30 -0700, Blair wrote:

Here is the TñrgoviƟte, historic post office building.
http://www.pbase.com/xerius/image/109451220

Oh, that's quite attractive, isn't it?

Thanks for posting the pic.

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth
Old June 12th 09, 07:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
CASACUDOR

http://cjoint.com/data/gleMPRn4jL.htm
"Targoviste"
(Home town of our friend, "Vlad the Impaler")
Perhaps Dracula was sending off his remittance to the blood bank.

http://cjoint.com/data/gmiyYWZHzQ.htm

Hi Rodney, the strike are from railways (trilines) inscription on 3
lines: first name of the train station (in your case TIRGOVISTE -
Railway station building was inaugurated on 2 January 1884,) second :
"train number" followed by the date (day/month/year) and the third
line: the word "GARA" which means train station.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gara_Targoviste.jpg

The etymological of the TIRGOVISTE: TIRGU VESTEI
tirgu = small town or market place
veste = 1. piece of news
2. news
3. information
4. hearing
5. message
6. tidings
7. report
8. rumor
9. rumour
Is possible to came from Vlad period ?!

best regards,
Anton
Old June 12th 09, 10:16 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Thank you Anton,
It is not very often I upstage Blair, but he got it wrong this time hehe
How are the "MANDATE" cancels considered in Romanian philately? junk?
I have a lot of them, they make an interesting collection.

I think we often relate horror with our friend Vlad, and indeed we should,
but cruelty was a sign of the times,
I am reading the life of the Duke of Wellington, and in his first failure
as a general in India, before he became Wellesley "bahadur" (the invincible)
he was set a clear a dense bamboo wood called the sultanpettah tope,
In a pitch black night he stumbled on the enemy, and lost twelve men,
the next day they were found buried, with nails driven into their skulls.
(April 17th 1799)

"CASACUDOR"

Old June 13th 09, 02:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair[_2_]

On Jun 12, 5:16*am, "rodney" wrote:

How are the "MANDATE" cancels considered in Romanian philately? *junk?
I have a lot of them, they make an interesting collection.

Fiscally used stamps from Postal money orders.

Blair
Old June 13th 09, 04:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Yes domestic money orders,
here is one you posted for me before
http://cjoint.com/data/gnfmX6QhGj.htm