Name That Flaw!

Old August 1st 03, 08:23 AM
MindElec

Default Name That Flaw!

a recent find of mine is an almost perfect first of "mists of avalon."
i say almost, because it has 2 flaws.

first..

http://tinyurl.com/ipiu

extends a pretty uniform 2" along the bottom of the dj, definitely not
water damage as the paper part of the affected area looks fine. any
cure?

second...

http://tinyurl.com/ipiz

some sort of glue line where the cloth meets the paper on the front,
but not on the back. two firm to be dislodged with a fingernail.

it's a shame because other than these two flaws, i'd be completely
comfortable in describing the book as unread.

thanks for any comments or fixes. "my-wings" feel free to borrow
these pics for your website.

robert

"I've been long, a long way from here
Put on a poncho, played for mosquitos,
And drank til I was thirsty again
We went searching through thrift store jungles
Found Geronimo's rifle, Marilyn's shampoo
And Benny Goodman's corset and pen"
Old August 1st 03, 01:38 PM
my-wings

"MindElec" wrote in message
news

a recent find of mine is an almost perfect first of "mists of avalon."
i say almost, because it has 2 flaws.

first..

http://tinyurl.com/ipiu

extends a pretty uniform 2" along the bottom of the dj, definitely not
water damage as the paper part of the affected area looks fine. any
cure?

second...

http://tinyurl.com/ipiz

some sort of glue line where the cloth meets the paper on the front,
but not on the back. two firm to be dislodged with a fingernail.

it's a shame because other than these two flaws, i'd be completely
comfortable in describing the book as unread.

thanks for any comments or fixes. "my-wings" feel free to borrow
these pics for your website.

Thanks! I've snatched copies of the pictures and am now awaiting the
collective wisdom of the group as to what they could mean!

My guess on the first one is that it's either some kind of manufacturing
flaw or possibly heat damage. It looks as if the varnish (or maybe plastic?)
coating on the jacket has started to separate from the underlying paper. How
would it look after Brodarting?

On the second one, again I would be tempted to guess a manufacturing flaw,
except that I would be surprised if the spine covering were affixed with an
opaque glue. I would have expected a clear glue just to prevent problems
like this. On the other hand, what else could it be?

Alice

Old August 1st 03, 04:32 PM
Kris Baker

"MindElec" wrote in message
news

a recent find of mine is an almost perfect first of "mists of avalon."
i say almost, because it has 2 flaws.

first..

http://tinyurl.com/ipiu

extends a pretty uniform 2" along the bottom of the dj, definitely not
water damage as the paper part of the affected area looks fine. any
cure?

Delamination? I had that same thing happen to a record
album years ago, which I had left near a sunny window.

second...

http://tinyurl.com/ipiz

some sort of glue line where the cloth meets the paper on the front,
but not on the back. two firm to be dislodged with a fingernail.

This looks like a sloppy reglue to me.

I'm thinking this book was exposed to extreme heat, causing
the problem with both the jacket and binding (which looks like
it could have been reglued).

it's a shame because other than these two flaws, i'd be completely
comfortable in describing the book as unread.

Unread doesn't mean it didn't sit inside a hot car for a few days.

Kris

Old August 1st 03, 06:11 PM
Lawrence Person

"MindElec" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/ipiu

"Delamination wrinkling."

http://tinyurl.com/ipiz

"Excesive glue flash along cloth/board join"
Old August 1st 03, 06:17 PM
MindElec

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:11:23 -0500, Lawrence Person
declared:

"MindElec" wrote in message

http://tinyurl.com/ipiu

"Delamination wrinkling."

http://tinyurl.com/ipiz

"Excesive glue flash along cloth/board join"

perfect!

thanks lawrence!

Old August 1st 03, 06:21 PM
MindElec

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:32:36 GMT, "Kris Baker"
declared:

some sort of glue line where the cloth meets the paper on the front,
but not on the back. two firm to be dislodged with a fingernail.

This looks like a sloppy reglue to me.

i don't think so, there's a "manufactured" quality to it. it's too
uniform on the front.

I'm thinking this book was exposed to extreme heat, causing
the problem with both the jacket and binding (which looks like
it could have been reglued).

could be, though the jacket shows no fading and the flaw is uniform on
the front, back and inner flaps. the glue flaw is only on the front
seam, the rear is perfect.

it's a shame because other than these two flaws, i'd be completely
comfortable in describing the book as unread.

Unread doesn't mean it didn't sit inside a hot car for a few days.

very true, it's a descriptive term that i only really use for books
that look better than new. we all know that even "new" books don't
neccessarily look that way.

Old August 1st 03, 08:43 PM
William M. Klimon

MindElec wrote in message . ..

a recent find of mine is an almost perfect first of "mists of avalon."
i say almost, because it has 2 flaws.

first..

http://tinyurl.com/ipiu

extends a pretty uniform 2" along the bottom of the dj, definitely not
water damage as the paper part of the affected area looks fine. any
cure?

The clear plastic lamenate over the paper of the d.j. has separated
and rippled. I would doubt there is a cure.

second...

http://tinyurl.com/ipiz

some sort of glue line where the cloth meets the paper on the front,
but not on the back. two firm to be dislodged with a fingernail.

Slight seepage of binder's glue? Doesn't strike me as a huge
flaw--the d.j. will be in a Brodart so it won't be damaged by the glue
and will keep the flaw from sight as well.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com